Old 04-13-2012   #41
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I have never worn waders .It sounds like if worn properly they usually work well . The operative word is USUALLY. I wore a dry top with paddlepants that have a neoprene waist band that functions as a semi gasket and just velcro ankle closures for hundreds of runs duckying and kayaking. Never had much of a problem swimming just a little leakage. Then i went for a swim in 4 + ish water once and water leaked in over the waist band and didn't drain through the ankle cuffs filling up the pants with water . I don't care what anyone says ,pants filled with water hinder your ability to move well . You don't sink per se and maybe in deep calm water you can swim easily but you can't manouvre as well and it is a bitch to do a pull up on a boulder or steep bank to get out with weights on your legs. I continued to use the set up with ankle cuffs slightly loosened but am definitely conscious of the possibility of that problem. Got a dry suit but if it got a big hole somehow the same could happen. Waders seem like the problem would happen more often,if you wear 'em cinch everything up good.

Once we f'd around on a Smith Fork side hike. We were playing in the bad sieve , at low water it is a small falls into a plunge pool. I was sliding down a log when my wet suit shoulder strap snagged on a broken branch and the waterfall poured inside the suit filling it. I call it my Michelin Man incident , no harm done but it could be disasterous in another situation. Any set up could fail under certain circumstances,waders seems like you are asking for it.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #42
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999

It took 3 people to pull this guy out of the water with the drag of his waders.

motor_btn_sob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #43
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
It took 3 people to pull this guy out of the water with the drag of his waders.[/QUOTE]

Do you think that this guy made a few bad decisions other than what kind of pants he had on? He is truly lucky to be alive. Certainly a good example of the sort of self confidence that gets people in trouble every day. He even says it in the quote on youtube. He was feeling confident in his rowing skills so he decided to run Cataract in a pontoon boat designed for fishing. Sounds like he took a good maytag ride and hopefully now he is keeping the pontoon boat for the flatwater.
boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #44
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
cayo, that's a pretty interesting story. thanks. with that in mind, it would be interesting to test the filled waders/ drowning theory in heavily aerated water. in that situation, the settled water in the waders would actually be heavier per square foot than the super aerated stuff in heavy whitewater. Yes? i'm just thinking out loud. feel free to shoot holes in it, folks.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #45
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If a drysuit zipper somehow partially opened then jammed ,could get way ugly....even if it didn't jam, the more you open it the more water gets in....pee zipper as a drain ?. .. it would be hard to zip/unzip while swimming... could maybe deliberately tear ankle gaskets in desperation ....yeah they make em hard to come unzipped and zipper tab should be secured under the elastic strap [ at least on my Kokatat ] ... double checking gear is important ,the time you forget to do something could be the time it matters... just thinking out loud...
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #46
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Dry bibs and waders aren't the same thing. Dry bibs have ankle gaskets, water-tight stitching, and a neoprene banded skirt that rolls together with the inner skirt on a proper dry top to form a system that's almost as reliable as a dry suit.

The two piece is a handy option, but I like to keep in mind that any system, even the best dry suits, can still flood if a zipper gets pulled or the fabric tears in the chaos of serious carnage. Therefore, I always carry a knife in case I need to cut open my own pants at the shin.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #47
Richmond, Utah
Paddling Since: 1996
Also the article was written in the context of using a boat to fish. . . not whitewater boating.

cataraft_chick is offline   Reply With Quote