Old 07-15-2014   #31
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by catwoman View Post
I recently switched to a water shoe - looks and acts like a tennis shoe, but drains water. I wear them with sealskinz water proof socks, no socks, or with my dry suit and regular socks. I am never going back to just sandals. The water shoes lace up, stay on, have good traction, good support, and protect my feet and my dry suit feet. I like bare feet on a sandy beach, or else dry tennis shoes and socks. After a 22 day trip the feet of sandal purists were destroyed, but mine felt great.
This is pretty much my system as well. River shoes & neoprene socks, with Crocs in camp. Granted the warm & wet neoprene MUST come off as soon as possible in camp, and as a friend of mine said "they smell like ass," they sure do save my toes & feet from destruction.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014   #32
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1998
I use chacos, usually with socks. We all need more sun protection anyway. Or, if no socks, but if I have a hot spot, I use the duct tape method. Also, am wearing my river sandals now to get my feet up to speed for a September trip.... Also, the socks usually need to be tossed at the end of a longer trip, so just wear little shorties that are almost worn out anyway. Never never never let your feet get abraded. After the rule about staying in the boat, the next is take care of Your feet!

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote