Old 07-09-2015   #81
Etiquette aside, your better know how to get out of the way of commercials if you are running Browns during the busy time. Some guides are dicks. Some private boaters are dicks. Such is life. Ramp behavior is a cluster everywhere. IMO, everyone should learn the system from the rangers at Flaming Gorge. You get one lane and 5 minutes, that's it.

Jamie D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #82
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Agreed. We were there at Ruby Mt at 11ish on July 4th and there was about 20 minutes of commercials that we peeled out for and then most of the time we had no worries.

Did Browns three times that week and that was the only time we had to eddy out, including the Sunday before. I am amazed at how many people that place can absorb without impeding my experience.

They shutdown commercial launches from Fisherman's at 330, correct?

We must have floated by you at Ruby. We launched at Fish at 1030...

Commercials are never "shut down" from launching at Fish, but once the Nathrop gauge drops under I believe 500 they have the option of launching from Ruby.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #83
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
It's below 700 at the Wellsville Gauge that commercials have the option to launch at Ruby.
Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #84
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
We must have floated by you at Ruby. We launched at Fish at 1030...

Commercials are never "shut down" from launching at Fish, but once the Nathrop gauge drops under I believe 500 they have the option of launching from Ruby.
Sorry, meant 330 pm
restrac2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #85
Overhead at, Zero's
Paddling Since: 1974
I don't get it. While guiding I always wished I was on the private, and now when I see the guides I always think "sucks to be you".
HollowPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #86
Paddling Since: 1994
So what dont you get?? guess i'm confused.
zach baird
zbaird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #87
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
To clarify, commercials are not allowed to launch from Ruby ever. However, once flows get below a certain level that makes the run from Fisherman's Bridge to Ruby a rock garden and long, AHRA makes an exception that allows them to launch from Ruby. It isn't an automatic option. (Note: flows are usually so low, few privates are using the ramp at that point in time.)
What are you doing HERE!!! For crying out loud...GO BOAT!!
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #88
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
There are two sides to every story

I did not plan on responding to this post, but against my better judgment decided to get my version of the story on record.

The person who posted this called our reservation line earlier this week and was immediately rude, disgruntled and difficult to understand as he went on a long rant about how our guides are assholes and have no river etiquette. I listened to everything he had to say and agreed with him that communication, safety and courtesy on the river is important, but suggested that maybe he was not following his own advice. My reaction was defensive, but was based on my own brief experience with his lack of communication and courtesy over the phone.

I did not say commercial trips have the right of way – rather that it was my understanding that rafts have the right of way over kayaks, because kayaks are more maneuverable. I also clearly stated that I was not sure this was an official rule or anything.

Also, I did not state that the concrete boat ramp at Hecla is for commercial trips only, but did suggest he could always use the private-only take-out just below the concrete ramp.

He was not up for a discussion. He called me a punk and asked to speak with my boss, which I obliged.

I always stress communication, safety and river etiquette with my staff and have reiterated these points since the supposed incidents.

All of you are always welcome to put in at River Runners for a $5 fee (although we do ask that you park across the river or at Hecla on busy days). I would also like to invite you all to the Community Float to the Grill every Wednesday now through mid-August where we provide a free shuttle to Johnson Village.

I hope you all have a safe and enjoyable paddling season. Remember this is supposed to be fun!

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole." -Raylan Givens, Justified

Originally Posted by shannon s View Post
I'm not the guy that typically calls a company out like this, but I sure as hell am now. Three occasions this past week my group had the opportunity to meet guides from River runners.

On 6/26 it was at the Hecla Boat ramp. One of their guides took it upon himself to move our stuff out of the way on the ramp. We had 2 rafts and a shredder, we've all been doing this long enough to know how the boat ramp works and we weren't in anyones way. I think the guide was just flexing his little hippy arms for his clients.

On 6/30 we had a group of 2 rafts and a shredder going through toilet bowl/widowmaker, River Runners blew through the rapid as we were entering splitting our group. No communication whatsoever.

7/2 Same thing in the same rapid. A little lower water, so a little tighter. Once again, split our group with no communication.

We weren't in any danger. We're all capable of maneuvering our crafts in class 3 water, but what if it were someone else. On 7/2 I was in a kayak, I was literally scrambling to get out from in between the two RR boats.

I understand Browns canyon is a busy place for commercials especially with the higher water, but it's all of our resource. The only reason we were there is we had non rafting passengers from out of town. They all took note of the company and I'm sure will spread the word in their respective home towns. If you're guiding a boat that has the name of your company in huge letters on the side, you should be smarter than that too. I'm guessing these guides' egos are bigger than their skillsets.

I called them this morning to give them a heads up as to how they were being represented. I spoke with Travis ?? the general manager. He told me that the concrete boat ramp was for commercials and privates were supposed to take out in the eddy below in the sand. He also told me that commercial rafts have the right of way. I saw this conversation going nowhere and spoke with the owner Kevin, he listened well.

I'm not asking for anything from these guys, just trying to bring to light the attitude these little punks have. I believe, and could be wrong, that when you pay for that AHRA pass you have the same access as everyone else. Please chime in if you know something I don't.

Remember guides. You're a raft guide not a freaking astronaut!

Shannon (must be getting old)
thochard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #89
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Travis, the title of your response is "There are two sides to every story". I must correct you, life will teach you that there are this case Shannons and yours... and then the one that is somewhere in the middle, that is usually the truth....just sayin.....
samcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #90
cedar city, Utah
You had a solid and articulate response, Travis. Assuming your insight and experience is accurate then I can understand the misunderstanding. That said, why end such an assertive and thoughtful comment with such a ridiculous qoute?

Best of luck to those directly involved though this seems like one of those situations without much recourse.

restrac2000 is online now   Reply With Quote