Old 07-08-2015   #61
BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2
Im not one who usally comments myself, but for you to get so worked up over this and try to bad name a good company is childish shit. Grow a pair of balls and move on. First off you are in browns canyon class III, if you are not a competent kayaker to get out of the way of a raft, then you don't even have the right to comment or complain, the eddies are huge for a kayaker. Do you call the channel 9 news every time someone cuts you off on the road? seriously you made your self look like a douche bag for getting so worked up over the littlest thing. I wish i worked for river runners and I bumped into on the river that day. Right or wrong, for this to be a issue is a waist of everyone's time. People like you that make this world harder to live in. Get a life and get over it.
Are you still pissed you didnt get elected class president in middle school? If this is the biggest issue in your life, maybe you need to sit back and reflect how easy you have it. What kind of kayak are you in and when will you be paddling next?

a former raft guide and now fulltime private boater who doesnt get worked up about dumb shit.

skinnyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #62
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
First world problems

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #63
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post

When being passed on the river, appropriate ettiquite is to throw your empty beer cans in their boat. Who doesn't know that shit nowadays?
you could do that, but you would be WRONG. The correct ettiquette is to save your empty beer cans and then put them thru the open windows on commercial shuttle buses.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #64
What are the best times to launch if you're private to avoid most of the commercials? I understand weekdays are best, and maybe the times are same whether weekday or weekend, but may try for it this weekend.
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #65
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
Will everybody please just drink a rum runner and calm down
Quiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #66
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Originally Posted by shannon s View Post
we had a group of 2 rafts and a shredder going through toilet bowl/widowmaker, River Runners blew through the rapid as we were entering splitting our group. No communication whatsoever.

7/2 Same thing in the same rapid. A little lower water, so a little tighter. Once again, split our group with no communication.
I don't understand it sounds like you pulled out of an eddy as they were entering the rapid thus splitting up your own group. or were you guys just really slow? it is the responsibility of the group that is pulled over to wait until things are clear.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #67
Grand Disfunction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #68
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Also I wouldn't really call the Toilet bowl / Widowmaker area as really one rapid. It's more like a series of individual moves each separated by several large eddys. If you're getting passed in there, you're eddied out and the one doing the passing is just keeping it in the current.
Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #69
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler:

When being passed on the river, appropriate ettiquite is to throw your empty beer cans in their boat. Who doesn't know that shit nowadays?

Originally Posted by Plecoptera View Post
you could do that, but you would be WRONG. The correct ettiquette is to save your empty beer cans and then put them thru the open windows on commercial shuttle buses.

Identify the truck in the lot that has a cooler full of beer, best option is that of a close friend. Remove cold beers and replace them with the empties from your cooler. Don't forget to leave them a couple just for karma's sake. No reason to involve commercial trips, they don't understand.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #70
Paddling Since: 1994
at least you didn't get hit by a turkey leg!!!

Sorry shannon, but this is too good, I gotta join in the fun. From the light skimming I did, while ripping on you no one bothered to give you a couple pieces of sound advice. If someone already did and i missed it, excuse me for repeating.

The real problem here is that you are taking out at hecla. There is a nice takeout that is a few miles downstream. Its called stone bridge.

The great things about it are, its right off the highway, you get a couple more good rapids, you don't have to deal with the commercial shit show and you can hang out and have a beer without messing up the ebb and flow of the busiest takeout on earth. If its high enough water or dark enough that you need to takeout at hecla, (4k+/ moonlight floats) it wont be busy.

If you blow the move in seidels there is a nice big cleanup pool, perfect for flip practice. If you blow the cleanup, go have a beer in salida and wait for your shit to float by while pondering if you should have graduated from the milk run yet.

Along with using stone bridge, while on the river (if you didnt like the midol option) you could also go by the rule of some older gentleman named jim i met in an eddy one day down by widowmaker. I pulled into one of the eddies on the left for commercials to go by (another key skill to have if you are going to run browns on a weekend) and he was just chillin there in his achilles spinnin around in the eddy puffin away. I got his name and we shot the shit for a few minutes enjoying the nice weather and scenery. The train of boats finally passed and jim hollered what seemed to be his steadfast rule for browns on a weekend, "Leave no eddy unstoned!!" Then he peeled out. Cracked me up.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote