Old 07-08-2015   #41
salida, Colorado
You certainly omitted information that made your shit-talk more one sided. They fucking passed you without telling you they passed you. They moved your shit that was "taking up too much space" at the ramp which you forgot to mention. Your feelings are still hurt and you didn't get the answer you wanted from Travis and now your whining like a preschooler...

You had the courage to call out a business on the web for mickey mouse what business you own?

psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #42
Boatin', Colorado
Originally Posted by shannon s View Post
Phil, so because you eat with them, party with them and get to use their put in, you think I'm lying? I thought with age comes wisdom?

You're certainly not doing yourself any favors there Shannon. You called out a respected company and now you're calling out Phil, one of the most respected voices in the Ark Valley.

Peev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #43
C. Springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
A little respect goes a long way, just sayin'...
I totally agree with that thought.

But if your going to roll into Hecla......park and not go get your rig right away.....then you should go on down to the eddie below all that cement and hang out. You can fit more than two boats and a shredder in that eddie.

I have a sneeky feeling that if Shannon had his rig anywhere near his boat, the River Runners guides would of offered to load it up for him.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #44
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
'The boat ramp is for commercials,' attitude is usually Noah's Ark. I have pulled into Hecla, tight to the concrete wall at the upstream side of the ramp, just to stay out of the way of the commercials. Just to have Noah's swarm all around and loudly complain about these 'privates' on their ramp. At that point, I just took my time loading the boats up........
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #45
If you are going to run Browns you are going to have to interact with commercial trips. That's a fact. When interacting with people sometimes the interactions are not going to be perfect. In fact, the more people in a given place, the greater chance you will encounter a negative interaction. There are plenty of places where you will see less commercial traffic than Browns (for example, literally anywhere else you can go rafting). Now that you have learned these lessons you will be better prepared to make future decisions regarding rafting trips.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #46
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Originally Posted by IntheMix View Post
Don't sweat the CS crew. They're all pretty much douchebags.
Welcome to the Buzz, ITM.

- Jon Snider
Colorado Springs
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #47
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by AndyFarq View Post
Shannon, it seems you have a tough time understanding Browns canyon.

2. In Zoom Flume there is one (maybe two) mid rapid eddies. However in Toilet Bowl and Widowmaker there are about 10 eddies, yes 10 whole eddies. The water on the right side even pulls you into the eddies. If you can't catch those you should consider running fractions for awhile.
I have no dog in this fight, no experience on the run or these specific rapids (other than standing at the put in once wishing I had my boat) so honest question:

In my part of the world it is proper river etiquette to not pass mid-rapid and generally give a group REASONABLE space/time to do what they need to do. Is this a common thing out west, expecting someone to stop their run mid-rapid and eddy out?

Perhaps this section is just that continuous (or seriously long rapids) with few pools?
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #48
I think that many are missing some key points made that do put the RR in bad light. Passing boaters in rapids is not only poor etiquette but also increases risk. Although ramp conflicts are common, commercials do not have rights over privates. The GM and owner could have recognized this and taken corrective action with their guides. They also could have apologized, and probably have resolved the issue. This does speak to the arrogance of commercials, and I would suggest as others have to file a complaint with AHRA.
jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #49
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Holy shit! Someone passed you on the busiest river on the planet? The outrage! Call your senator right now and complain. Maybe start a petition to ban anyone with the name of Travis from rafting. Maybe run for president on this high priorty agenda?

Probably should start working a project for another boat ramp or two at Hecla. I would recommend one ramp for uppity commercials, another ramp for shitty private boaters, and then a pile of rocks for perpetual d-bag kayakers. That ought to solve it.

When being passed on the river, appropriate ettiquite is to throw your empty beer cans in their boat. Who doesn't know that shit nowadays?

Also... for folks that don't know you personally... if you wear your "I AM THE FUCKING MAN" shirt at the takeout, you might get more respect.
deepsouthpaddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #50
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Hi all

This us vs them stuff is so sad

We are all river users and lovers

Some of us have more, skills, knowledge and good manners than others.

These folks exist in the kayak world, the private boater world and the commercial world.

Some of us seem clueless as to how their actions effect and or perceived by others on the river.

Those folks also exisit in the kayak world, the private world and commercial world.

Unfortunately there is no Martha Steward river etiquette book that formalized a set of rules.

River etiquette varies from river to river and region to region.

It has been my personal experince both as a guide and a private boater, that most guides, outfitters and private boaters are good natured and skilled and considerate of others.

Those that are not........are fortuantly a small minority. ...and it is a bummer when you come across them.....

Shame on RR if they passed you in a manner that made you feel unsafe.

Shame on you for being unaware of your surroundings. ..Why were you not aware of a commercial pod bearing down on you and why did you not yeild to them in a calm water section ?

Shame on you for being inconsiderate of the busy nature of the hecla take commercial guide wants to waste his/her time and engery moving others folks gear unless needed...the RR guides would not have move your gear if you had been paying attention to what was going on at the take have no right to gum up the operations by not staying with your gear, and moving your own gear around as needed to insure a smooth operation at hecla.

Shame on you for calling RR out after the owner politely heard you out. What did you expect him to do ? Fire his guides ? Get real !! Although I must say RR would have done better to say sorry for any misunderstanding with our guides...stop by for a beer on us sometime....get know us.

We all need to play nice together. together to keep the playground clean, safe, and enjoyable for all of us to use.

shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote