Old 05-09-2015   #101
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by Whetstone View Post
Anyone tried this Bone Collector Can Cooker out? I would like to hear your thoughts on it. I received one for Christmas and cant wait to break it out on the river. It fits in a large drybag and holds a ton of my kitchen stuff inside when packed. : CanCooker BC - 002 Bone Collector Can Cooker : Pressure Cookers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

It comes with a great recipe book as well.
Seems like a smart, simple pressure cooker of sorts; I could see a lot of use for it on the river. Only question, how did they attach the handles (rivets, etc)? It would be a better design for a dry box if it had removable handles which would be easy to design with a keyhole like attachment that snaps vertically into place. Its size could be offset by storing food in it. It should also be fine to lob in a drop bag.

Would make cooking larger chunks of meat easier and faster for groups of 8 or more. I am sure you could set it up for braising as well. I could see doing a pork butt or even stacking some country style pork ribs in it. Lots of options.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015   #102
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Menu idea

I was the V.I.P chef for OARS rafting company many years ago and thought the best meal was shrimp Creole. I made the entree ahead and kept out the shrimp and added when I reheated.

agreatchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015   #103
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
90Duck, the recipe is great. I didn't even scale it right and it turned out amazing. My wife wants it on our regular rotation. Thanks again!

Glad you liked it. I did DO enchiladas on a trip this weekend, but my wife ordered up the traditional kind for her mother's day request. I definitely prefer the mole' kind mylself.

Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015   #104
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
Breakfast got to for last year after the burritos ran its course and the mcmuffins got tired was.... Wait for it
Bisguits and gravy with bacon or sausage links. Bake the muffins at home and the rest is easy. I do the sausage links on tne side for the vegitarians(there's always one or 2)
Quick, easy and filling
If you make the biscuits in the dutch oven it makes them way better than you ever could at home
gmmccalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015   #105
cedar city, Utah
Biscuits and gravy has become our layover day breakfast for fringe season trips. We make the biscuits in a DO but we often just get one of the pre made, refrigerated rolls from the store to cheat.

We made a dutch baby on the last trip and really enjoyed it, served up with powdered sugar and a little lemon.

Old 07-24-2015   #106
SD, California
Paddling Since: 2003
You sous vide folks may also like this recipe.

-Fill your system with water at 135F.
-Pour a 750ml bottle of rum and 1 pint strawberries (washed) into a large zip-top bag.
-Zest and juice 4 lemons and 4 limes into the bag and seal.
-Submerge the pouch to cook for 2 hours at 135F.
-Remove the pouch and quick chill in an ice water bath.
-Strain out the solids, and reserve the strawberries for another use.
-Pour the infused rum into a clean screw-top bottle and store chilled until ready to use.

You can do all this ahead of time and bring it to the river. For a cocktail
pour a couple ounces of fruit infused rum into a cocktail shaker with clean ice.
Add a splash of simple syrup to taste. Shake well and serve on ice.

If you brought your 2-stroke blender you can try it blended as well.
toptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015   #107
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
I do not go on the river to eat,I eat to go on the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015   #108
cedar city, Utah
We go on the river to do all sorts of things, including eating great food. The river can accommodate us all.

Old 07-24-2015   #109
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
very popular on cold mornings, or before a portage on the upper Owyhee, or near the end of a trip when cooler is toast.

Enough instant hungry man shredded hash browns (they come in a container that looks like a small milk carton). Re-constitute per the package, chop onion an green pepper and saute in your pan, then fry up the browns, in another pot, mix up some instant country gravy and add the big real bacon bit pieces from costco, more bacon please!. Serve the gravy over the browns. A good accompaniment is some real good old dark cowboy coffee, the real hecker pard kind, with a couple doses of Canadian Hunter.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015   #110
cedar city, Utah
Its Pie N Beer Day in Utah (an outsider twist on the actual Pioneer Day celebrated every June 24th) so we are making a Tomato and Cheddar Pie that would be super easy on the river with a DO