Old 02-13-2015   #91
Steamboat, Colorado
Originally Posted by 2kanzam View Post
I used to run the kitchen in a steakhouse and this lil' 95yo lady used to come in every tues evening by herself....everytime she'd order a 16 oz ribeye, seasoned and raw. Well we couldn't give her a raw steak legally (she knew this yet ordered it raw everytime)...but we'd just slap it on the grill for 10 seconds a side, sear the edges real quick and send it out. That wasn't technically legal either, but we'd only do it for her....I just couldn't say no...
Anyone that makes it to 95 is entitled to have a steak however the hell they want it!

It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #92
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Anyone tried this Bone Collector Can Cooker out? I would like to hear your thoughts on it. I received one for Christmas and cant wait to break it out on the river. It fits in a large drybag and holds a ton of my kitchen stuff inside when packed. : CanCooker BC - 002 Bone Collector Can Cooker : Pressure Cookers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

It comes with a great recipe book as well.

Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #93
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Originally Posted by Whetstone View Post
Anyone tried this Bone Collector Can Cooker out?

It comes with a great recipe book as well.
It doubles as an IED.

71 reviews: : CanCooker BC - 002 Bone Collector Can Cooker : Pressure Cookers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Built out of food grade anodized aluminum

One guy didn't like it because he burned a hole in the bottom.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #94
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
When I'd order a steak rare, and explain to the server what I meant (what the 95 year old wanted or received), my grandfather would say "I've seen cows hurt worse than that get well..."
Also best description of seafood from a rancher in northern CO: a cow standing in a pond...
Foodies on the 'riv are more than welcome on my trips, always interested in discovering new cuisine. Worst that can happen is one missed meal, most of us could use that...
River trips can accommodate (almost) everyone. You want to spend 2-3 hours preparing a killer meal, I'm happy to eat it. But 9 out of 10 times, will be hiking instead.
As we age, most of us tend to prepare dinners that can be fixed in 45-60 minutes. That usually involves preparing sauces/meats ahead of time, and an easy re-heat to serve. As the trip gets longer (past 6-7 days), you move into more Mex/Thai/Italian stuff.
It's all good!
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015   #95
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by 90Duck View Post
There has been a cooking conversation taking place in a recent Dutch Oven thread down in The Eddy, of all places. It was suggested that I post this newly improvised recipe, mined from several different sources, up here in the main current.

This was made last weekend for a Dutch Oven potluck party (not a competition, but this was the group fave), so it was all made up fresh at once. However, it would be really easy to prepare the whole sauce mixture in advance and freeze it. Or, you could go with canned chicken and corn and dry bouillon to make the broth for the mole in order to save cooler space for use later on a long trip. You might lost the avocados by then, however, and those are a crucial part IMHO!

Disclaimer: I've made this exactly once now, and there is always room for improvement or enhancement. Consider this more as "guidelines".

Dutch Oven Mole Enchilada Casserole:

• 2 lbs lean pork or chicken, sliced into bite sized chunks
• 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
• 1 jar mole sauce base, prepared with broth per directions. (For those like me who aren't fluent in Spanish, the seemingly detailed opening instructions on the unusual lid basically say "use a can opener" - thanks Google!)
• 2 cloves garlic
• onion powder to taste (I really dislike onion chunks in my food, but feel free to add all the actual onions you want unless you are making this for me)
• 12 oz corn (I used a 12 oz bag of frozen corn I had on hand – doesn’t need to be precise, and could easily substitute canned corn here)
• 18 corn tortillas
• 3 avocados
• sour cream

• heat olive oil and minced garlic in cast iron skillet on medium high heat until garlic turns golden brown
• Add pork or chicken and braise outside quickly; add onion power to taste, turn heat down to medium and simmer covered until done, about 5-7 minutes
• Remove cooked meat from the skillet, leaving any remaining liquid in pan; prepare mole sauce per directions using remainder liquid in the skillet and additional broth as needed; set aside 1/2 cup sauce, then reintroduce meat to remaining mole sauce, stir in corn, simmer on medium-low for 5-10 mins, adding water as necessary to keep sauce from getting too thick to pour.
• In 12-14" DO, pour the 1/2 cup of previously separated mole sauce into bottom of DO and spread a layer three overlapped tortillas spread across bottom of DO; add a layer of combined meat, corn and mole sauce; top with 3/4 cup cheese; add another layer of 3 tortillas and repeat above steps until all ingredients have been used, finishing with last of the remaining sauce and cheese
• Cook in DO at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes (roughly 10 briquettes on bottom, 20 on top); rotate lid and DO over coals in opposite directions every 10 mins.
• While DO is cooking, slice avocados into wedges; garnish each serving with avocado slices and sour cream
Thanks for sharing this one. Heading out for the maiden voyage of our Old Avon Adventurer and our newest dogs first river trip. This is gonna be one of the two meals we cook on the trip. Its a good place to start for us so thanks for a recipe to experiment with.

Hope everyone is having a great start to the rafting season. The first trip is like thawing out for us and I can't wait for more river time.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015   #96
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Phillip -

hope you have a great trip and enjoy the enchiladas! It's supplanted DO lasagna as my new #1 go to camp meal.
Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015   #97
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
That is a great looking recipe. We've done a similar one in the past.

We just got off a 21 day Lees to Pierce GC trip and I thought that I would contribute a few the recipes for meals that got a lot of positive comments. None of the 58 meals got negative comments, but these really generated the most.

My wife with me as chopper and griller prepared 13 meals for the trip. All ingredients are for a 16 person trip.

Shakshuka Israeli Breakfast. (We had a young Israeli, couch surf with us this winter to hit the Vail resorts here in Park City and he fixed this breakfast for us one morning)

We have a 16'' steel skillet that we fixed this in, but it could be fixed in a couple of 12'' skillets for a large group.

Tomatoes, Diced (6) 15 oz. cans
Tomato sauce (6) cans
Mushrooms (1) can
Red Bell peppers, Diced (6)
Yellow onion, diced or sliced (4)
Garlic, fresh, mince (1) bulb
Jalapenos (6) On the river, we may have gotten confused and added a few Seranno peppers, but I could be wrong.
Cilantro, Fresh (1) bunch
21 eggs
Feta cheese (1) block
English muffins (24)

Dice peppers, onions and saute till soft. Add garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes.
Add 2 tsp Cumin, 1/2 tsp cayenne, 2 tsp paprika and cook another minute or two.
Pour in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer about 10 minutes till tomatoes have thickened.
Add mushrooms at some point.
When tomatoes have thickened, stir in crumbled feta.
Gently crack eggs and drop into skillet on top of sauce. The sauce will cook the eggs to desired doneness.
We found that if you take a spoon and create a pocket in the tomatoes to drop the eggs into they cook a little faster.
While this is going on, you can "toast" the english muffins.

Serve with dice Cilantro and hot sauce.

We launched on 4/6 and we fixed this a few days into a chilly beginning of the trip. This warm breakfast was a big hit on a cool morning.

I'll add a few more recipes over the next couple of days as I have time.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015   #98
Park City, Utah
Here's another recipe that we used for day 11 lunch.

I marinated and grilled the chicken breasts at home.

Grilled Chicken Wraps
This is for (2) chicken breast. Serves 2-3 people. Extrapolate as needed.
Amazing Taste Malibu Seasoning, 1 oz packet (We get it a Smith's by the packet, but the meat dept will order you a 20 oz container. This stuff is killer and we use it a lot.)
Olive oil
Empty packet into a quart size ziploc. Add 3 TSP of olive oil. Add 3 TSP of water. Mix thoroughly. Cut (2) breasts into "chicken finger" size strips and add to ziploc. Thoroughly coat the chicken and put in the fridge overnight.
Cook chicken strips on the grill and cut into cubes after they've cooled. Vac seal and freeze.
We cooked some bacon at home and crumbled it and vac sealed and froze it as well.
While in camp on the morning of the lunch, we diced a red onion, put it in a ziploc and threw it in the lunch cooler.
At lunch we had various warps, shredded cheese, lettuce, diced onion, and crumbled bacon for everyone to make their own wrap. We had a ranch dressing and Hidden Valley Southwest Chipotle dressing for folks to add to their wrap. We also had some guac for folks to add to the wrap.

We also made a marinate from McCormick Mojito Lime Seasoning and it taste pretty good, but the Amazing Taste Malibu was the favorite.

This was a real easy lunch to lay out at the lunch spot and everyone raved about it. The Southwest Chipotle dressing was the favorite dressing. One guy said that these were the best wraps he'd ever had, but he's from Missouri and you know they're deprived back there. (Kidding, Lew)

Non-GC uses.
On shorter MF or Main length trips with a smaller group, we'll marinate the chicken strips, freeze them at home and grill them at camp for dinner. Folks really love these.
Old 04-30-2015   #99
Park City, Utah
Super easy lunch recipe.

Crunchy hippie friendly. Even the Vegans like it. Mid-western steak eaters tolerate it pretty well. ("Needs bacon.") No cooler needed.

Chana Masala pita pockets or warps.

Tasty Bite Chana Masala , 10 oz package
Red onion, diced
Feta Cheese, crumbled
Pita pockets or warps.
Serving spoon.

Open package.
Spoon into pita pockets or on wraps.
Garnish with onion and Feta.
Have crumbled bacon handy.

I think we used about (5) packages for 15 people. Buy the TB Chana Masala online. The store price is crazy expensive.
Old 05-09-2015   #100
cedar city, Utah
90Duck, the recipe is great. I didn't even scale it right and it turned out amazing. My wife wants it on our regular rotation. Thanks again!

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote