Highland Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Easy answer

Carry both.

hollek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I've thought about -adding- a folding knife to my pfd as a backup and for other uses, but I would -not- take away the external knife. A few of my thoughts, purely based on empirical experiences of myself and others:

Roy's is the classic, but a recent story that's a reminder of why an easily accessible knife is good: good boater was doing a class IV run and got randomly snagged by a rope buried just under the surface while boating downstream. It's unlucky, but not that far fetched on popular runs. I gather that he managed to grab a tree branch with one hand to keep himself stable. With the other hand he grabbed his knife, but couldn't get a good angle on the rope to cut it.

So, he decided to put the knife back in the sheath to switch hands. He said he had the NRS Pilot knife, which stays very secure in the sheath, but apparently is hard to put back in the sheath with one hand (disclaimer: I've never never used one) and was having a lot of trouble. Anyway, eventually the force of his boat or something freed the rope and his boat and he was released without having to cut it, but obviously the situation could have gone downhill fast.

I've been using the blunt tip Bear Claw with serrated edge and haven't found a good enough reason to convince me to switch yet. I seem to lose one just about every year, which sucks, but I just consider it the price of admission. I've gotten good at finding deals at hunting stores. I'm still reluctant to tie the knife to a leash - I know some people claim w/ the proper length leash it's pretty safe, but I've had some violent hole rides and I don't like the idea of a knife flopping around attached to me.

With the Bear Claw, my casual observation is that taking it in and out of the sheath a lot wears down the tightness of the connection so I try to minimize the amount of times I take it out. Running waterfalls also seems to be a great way to lose your knife, as is climbing around on cliffs or on top of logs. I've also learned that going into salt water and not washing off your knife afterwards is a great way to ruin it. By exercising a few precautions you can keep your knife around a bit longer.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #13
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
I was tangled in a rope on SlaughterHouse years ago while towing a boat across the river after a friend had taken a swim. It was a very precarious situation and I did not have my knife on me cause I used it for some other purpose(not rescue oriented).
As I was kinda drowning out in the middle of the river a fellow boater approached me from upstream and handed off a foldable knife to me. I took a deep breath went underwater, unfolded the knife and cut the rope off my arm. It was a sketchy situation but was resolved quickly with heads up thinking from another boater on scene.

I learned:
A. Never use your rescue knife for anything other than rescue.
B. Don't fuck around with towing a boat using a throw bag and not managing the slack properly.
C. Having multiple knives on ones person is a good idea whether running rapids or boating Confluence in the dark after a flood.
"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #14
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'm not an instructor, but a quote from one of my past instructors stuck with me. I was only carrying a foldable knife in the PFD pocket at the time. He asked me if I could stand in the shower on cold for 10-15 minutes, and then remove and open the knife one-handed. I couldn't confidently say yes, so I added the fixed blade back to the outside again. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #15
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Originally Posted by hollek View Post
Carry both.

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #16
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Another vote for the Bear Claw. And I don't use it for anything else. It doesn't spread PBJ or cut cheese worth a shit anyway.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #17
I've got the benchmade 8 rescue hook con plastic sheath and snap lanyard attached to the vest. The pocket houses a pointed spyderco folding knife. I figure 90% of any rescue related cuts can be done with the hook. I also spend most of my time on a riverboard, so I don't like the idea of laying belly down on a knife.
phillersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #18
Now that looks like a tool that is a step up.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #19
Does anyone else have a rescue hook they have and like?
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #20
Denver,, exhaustion
I am a bit of a knife lover and as such have quit a few.

First; out of all of my knives i only have one that is serrated... my river knife.
i would not carry a river knife that is not serrated, it is just extra insurance.

Second; if you choose to carry a folder make sure that you get a 'dive knife', you want stainless steel, the steel will not rust (as easily). Spyderco makes a few good ones. If you go with a folder make sure that you do proper maintenance on it. Take it out and dry it properly, periodically clean and oil it. It would suck to need it and not be able to open the thing.

I use a fixed blade NRS, i believe in keeping it as simple as possible in an emergency situation. I do like the bearclaw.

as far as rescue hooks go, they do what they do well but are nowhere near as versatile as a knife.

"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote