Old 10-16-2015   #11
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by David Spiegel View Post
Go Moenkopi. Hands down. Brady and his team are awesome. My friends and I have used Moenkopi several times and have a few different stories where they've gone well beyond even normal expectations of good service.

The best example is when Brady went out of his way to save our last trip from disaster after we had already put on the river. We'd rented two full rigs and brought two of our own. When a poorly constructed personal frame on a personal boat cracked/bent on day one, we sat-phoned Moenkopi. Brady drove back to the put-in from Flagstaff and got his next group to row a new frame downstream to our camp.
Badass customer service! Hope he was tipped for that!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015   #12
CRG, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1978
Just got off the river and used REO for boats, food, groover and shuttle; Only comparison was a trip few years ago with complete package from PRO.
REO folks were great to deal with, flexible, did some unplanned trailer repair for us, their box a day meal planning worked well for us except their was too much of it. You can always find stuff to quibble with but boats were solid, rigging turned out to be imperfect so you need to be responsible for your own boat, straps were really worn but everything worked and did what it was supposed to...
PRO rents SOTARS which I would have preferred over the NRS boats you get elsewhere but that's more perception than based on anything factual. AT the time the PRO equipment we got was in a bit better shape than what we got with REO but not to any meaningful degree.

Without the benefit of a comprehensive head to head comparison I suspect all the established companies will do what you need them to do; you can find good stories about all, as well as a few complaints; might depend on whether you care which brand of raft you get and the approach to meal planning and organization

runnerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015   #13
Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
Do yourself a favor and go with moenkopi or ceiba. I have worked with both. As you can read from the previous posts on this thread, customer service is second to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015   #14
You can't go wrong with the whole shbang at Ceiba!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015   #15
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
+1 for moenkopi
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #16
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
REO has been updating their gear. I would recommend Ceiba, Moenkopi or REO.
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
+1 for Moenkopi.

Maybe just a legend, but I heard Brady hiked down a kitchen box to a group that lost their's in a flip.

I can't really compare to the other companies cause I've only been down once, but Mo did us right.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015   #18
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Anecdotal evidence:

I was very unhappy with REO in 2013. They royally screwed our foodpack. Everyone lost 5-10 lbs. Starved for 16 days. lunch = 2 pieces of bread 1 slice of cold cuts and 1/2 slice of cheese. Share 1 can of pringles for 2 days between 16 people. Decent lettuce, ample onions sometimes a cookie. Lemonade mix every third day.
Rubber and frames were good. Oars were highly varied, broke a spare in just a wave train splashes. Straps were garbage and broke consistently. Satellite phone was inoperable and we had a severe medical emergency. During our orientation the staffer could not get a signal but gave it to us anyhow. "I'm sure it will work".
After a freak accident we needed a helicopter rescue. Major internal bleeding, vitals going to hell and the clock ticking. It was difficult to look into a teen girl's eyes and explain that her dad needed a helicopter within a few hours or he would die, but we needed to find a working phone first. LUCKILY a commercial motor rig loaned us a phone and saved a life.

They tried to talk us into using our private vehicle and trailer as part of the shuttle so they didn't have to add private gear to their trailer. We paid plenty of money for the shuttle. No, you can't put another thousand miles on my truck and trailer to save 20 minutes of load time. Kitchen was decent. Filter was pump style and passable. Groover system was adequate.

Watching them load and unload gear at their HQ it was clear they just didn't care about their stuff. No attempt at inspections or cleaning or QA. Rack it up and turn it over for another trip.

They were decent over the phone. I like the office staff actually. Field crew was not impressive. Stood around and 'advised'. I think we paid something like $12,000 for everything, terrible value.
They talked us into 1 unnecessary raft rental and insisted on adding several empty coolers to the rental- which we didn't use at all. overall they padded the bill by about $1500 on unnecessary gear and I have no idea where the food money went.

Do I sound bitter? I am. As TL and QB it caused me a ton of unnecessary stress. Having to constantly ration food to hungry people and decide if the trip would reimburse people for lost gear when rental straps broke sucked. Having a life swing on proper gear maintenance put it over the top for me.

And in the end they totally blew us off. "your food pack was normal" "the phone is no big deal. We won't charge you for repairs" "are you sure you know how to use straps?"

so yeah, go with anyone else.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015   #19
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Pro did us right. Great gear.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015   #20
silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I would go through Moenkopi. Brady and his crew are awesome!!!!!

miahski2 is offline   Reply With Quote