Old 07-15-2016   #11
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
I used two layers under the sleeve and a short band under the screw clamp of the sleeve. Holds tight without slippage.

It's a breakdown oar that I use for my spare and has only seen ten days so far but is holding up fine.

Aerocam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #12
Hotchkiss, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
So I ordered 10 feet of 2 inch Blue Vinylguard Heat Shrink Tubing from U.S. Plastics in Lima, OH (800)809-4217 at a cost of $1.86/ft with UPS shipping to Colorado adding another $18.33. When the tubing arrived it would not fit over the aluminum shaft on my Carlisle oar which measure about 1.75 inches in diameter. I called the company and spoke with their technical assistance department and they looked into the issue. It seems that the manufacturer of the tubing recommends that it be stored at 70 F or less. If not, it will start to shrink. U.S. Plastics does not have refrigerated storage, so the tubing I received had shrunk to less than 1.75 inches. They are replacing my tubing with 2.5 inch diameter blue tubing at no additional cost to me and they feel confident that it will fit over my oar shaft and it is capable of shrinking clear down to 1.25 inches when heated with a heat gun. They were nice folks to deal with in resolving my problem. I will try to post an update once I get the new tubing here and install it.

windknot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #13
Flagstaff, Arizona
Hi Wind, Great post! Yes, please let us know how the 2.5" works! Nice that U.S. Plastics worked with you. That's Great customer service! Yours, tom
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #14
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Nice creative oar refurbish solution!
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016   #15
Hotchkiss, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The 2.5 inch shrink tube worked just fine on my Carlisle oar shaft that measured 1.75 inch diameter with the old blue plastic sleeve removed. When I slid the shrink tube onto the oar shaft, I left about 4 inches of extra tube hanging over at each end. I used a Wagner heat gun and started shrinking the tube in the middle of the oar shaft and worked all the way to one end, then started in the middle again and worked to the other end. Leaving 4 inches of extra at each end was barely enough to account for the shrinkage that occurred during the heating process. My old black plastic oar stop would not slide over a double layer of the blue shrink tube in the manner Aerocam used. I wish it would have, but I shrunk a 2 inch band of the blue tube above and below the oar stop sleeve and that appears it will work to keep the stop in place. Right now, it looks like I am back in business on the river. Thanks to all who contributed to the topic.

windknot2 is offline   Reply With Quote