Let the Snake Go About It's Business 83 76.15%
I Really Enjoy Watching My Friends Get Air 3 2.75%
I Wonder How Many I Was Close To andDid Not See 14 12.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2014   #101
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Regarding snake dens.

They are full of a variety of species. Don't fumigate.

A more indian than I am Warm Springs buddy told me they use bacon on the dens. Pigs eat snakes wholesale. Snakes are fraidy cats too. They are afraid of piggies.

I'm coming out here.
I like pigs.

They are so efficient at this task that when land is cleared for a golf course, pigs are often let loose to eat all the poisonous snakes ........
and then there's this:

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #102
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post

Only about 10 people a year die from snake bites in the US, not much of a concern. As well, even when bitten most people survive, though the toxins can leave short term and long term damage.
Statistically you're more likely to get bitten by a Uruguayan soccer player than a snake.

Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #103
Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by fdon View Post
I am going far and wide with on this one. Recalling all the snake stories I have heard, some of them include killing the devil incarnate. Not once did anyone say, "Geez, that snake sure was hard to kill". Really, some of you non-female 15 percenters carry a gun just for snake protection? Must be a he-man thing. I would guess a large rock would be as efficient for killing even the largest snake and one could then load up with real bullets for more dangerous quarry like those "stand-your-ground" fuckers or the extreme 2nd amendment wack-jobs or perhaps even saving some for those jihadi pricks when they eventually decide to invade our wilderness.

To the rattlesnakes credit: They are found only in the Americas with 36 distinct species. 13 species are located in Arizona making my home state a place where one better damn sure keep an eye peeled when out for a walk. It has been my experience to encounter the Mojave most frequently. Their venom is the most toxic of all the rattlesnakes. Western Diamondbacks come in a close second in regards to my encounters with snakes. They are responsible for the most deaths due to snakebite.

The statistics for snakebite prove the chances of being bitten are quite small. Almost so small that it is a non-issue. When a snake bite occurs, it is usually attributed to stupidity. Hospital records point out 90% of snakebite victims are white males under 25 years and most of these heros had been drinking PBR and playing with the critter.

Snakes do not discriminate when it comes to us humans. They just want to stay the fuck away from us and they have the tools to let us know they mean business. I still say let em live.
Hospital records jump from 90% to 99.9% if you also add in: 1) lives in Texas
2) is with his buddies and 3) is wearing blue jeans with no shirt
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #104
Denver, Colorado
Kudos to all the people who calmly admired/photographed the rattlesnake on the rocks beside the ramp at Cache Bar, last June 17.

When a rattler turns up in my yard, I try to relocate it. So far, they only want to get away from me and have not come after me. Some even go into the plastic 5-gallon buckets without rattling at all. (I lift them with a rake, drop them into a bucket, then nest another bucket on top.)

Killing a rattlesnake in the wilderness is likely to lead to a false sense of safety... better to know that they are around than to think you have mitigated the risk. While hiking/scouting on raft trips, I have seen one or two rattlesnakes on trails but, fortunately, not in camp. They were not aggressive but, then again, I saw them and did not step on them or right beside them.

Query: do you want to teach your kids to be aware and to avoid dangerous snakes, or do you want to teach them to try to kill their way to a false sense of safety?
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #105
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post
Good God.

Struck in the face over the eye and......just keeps nibbling on grass and hay. WTF? Do they just not care? Taunting mr snake with their too thick to puncture hide? Impervious to venom? I don't understand.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #106
Belgrade, Montana
So when in bear country bring a dog and when in snake country bring a pig! Got it.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #107
Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
So when in bear country bring a dog and when in snake country bring a pig! Got it.
Actually, your dog, properly graduated from snake avoidance training is hands down the best method of finding snakes. Fido can smell the buggers from an amazing distance and can even be trained to point them out. Hogs, while possessing a marvelous sense of smell are generally too damn independent to care much about want we want them to do for us, they might make great bear bait however.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #108
Belgrade, Montana
My older dog has gone through "snake training" brutal and crude if you ask me, but I guess it works. Now she won't go anywhere near em'. The only way you'd find a snake via her is searching where she won't go... As for bears and dog's most wilderness areas advise against dogs under the belief that they will attract bears. That is one of the lines of reasoning that Glacier NP sites for their no dog policy... I personally don't really buy that logic, I've lived in Griz country for nearly 20 years, I've spent hundreds of nights in tents in "their home". I always hang my food and cook away from my tent, my dogs are usually with me and I've never seen a griz in the wild and believe me I've looked. The only black bears I've run into were when big game hunting (without dogs) or from a truck. I'll stick with dog as my copilot where ever I can. I guess I've seen quite a few from boats too, but I've never had one get close with a dog near by...
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #109
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post

If dealing with a den use pigs, not chems.

Just remember to line the trench around your tent with bacon.

Trivia, an American photographer traveling solo in Russia sprayed his camp with bear spray. Apparently he thought it was preventative.
It was felt that was what attracted the brown that ate him.

Russian Smokejumpers discontinued their policy of just one Jumper packing a gun. Two Jumpers died when only one was packing.

If anyone is ever in serious bear country. Pack a good sized dog. They will take on a bear they have no hope of beating. Give you a chance. Guns are nice, bear spray and a slower buddy also help.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #110
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008

MFS is designated wilderness but it sees massive amounts of traffic through the river corridor, far more than the zoom flume scout. We saw 4 rattlers and a half dozen other snakes this past week. None were killed, though one juvenile and rattler was pushed over a small ledge to I could get back to my boat. I have little interest whether a couple of the buggers right in the main river corridor live or die. There is a massive amount of habitat down there and a very small amount of it consists of campsites. Ranger rick probably feels a little different.

The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote