"Most of the time its a stupid guys friend that gets bit." Fixed it for you

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #93
breckenridge, colo.
Paddling Since: 79
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
If you have to ask, you've got no business being in the wilderness.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Right On !
wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #94
breckenridge, colo.
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Leave it to a rafter to take my post literally.

I always thought some guy named Frank just liked to go to church as the kids say these days.
Leave it to a Rattler to take that post Literally.
Old 06-28-2014   #95
breckenridge, colo.
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post
You should be eating chicken.
Not because of health.
Because more creatures get killed that way.

Plus you can sneak the odd cut up rattler in without anyone noticing.
Good One!
Old 06-28-2014   #96
Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
I am going far and wide with on this one. Recalling all the snake stories I have heard, some of them include killing the devil incarnate. Not once did anyone say, "Geez, that snake sure was hard to kill". Really, some of you non-female 15 percenters carry a gun just for snake protection? Must be a he-man thing. I would guess a large rock would be as efficient for killing even the largest snake and one could then load up with real bullets for more dangerous quarry like those "stand-your-ground" fuckers or the extreme 2nd amendment wack-jobs or perhaps even saving some for those jihadi pricks when they eventually decide to invade our wilderness.

To the rattlesnakes credit: They are found only in the Americas with 36 distinct species. 13 species are located in Arizona making my home state a place where one better damn sure keep an eye peeled when out for a walk. It has been my experience to encounter the Mojave most frequently. Their venom is the most toxic of all the rattlesnakes. Western Diamondbacks come in a close second in regards to my encounters with snakes. They are responsible for the most deaths due to snakebite.

The statistics for snakebite prove the chances of being bitten are quite small. Almost so small that it is a non-issue. When a snake bite occurs, it is usually attributed to stupidity. Hospital records point out 90% of snakebite victims are white males under 25 years and most of these heros had been drinking PBR and playing with the critter.

Snakes do not discriminate when it comes to us humans. They just want to stay the fuck away from us and they have the tools to let us know they mean business. I still say let em live.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #97
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Originally Posted by Preston H. View Post
I come at this from a little different perspective due to life experience. Some years back, I was traveling on horseback in BFE, West Texas. My traveling companion, a whip-smart, sassy girl who had hired me to accompany her, fell into a den of rattle snakes. Before I could get her out, she was bit by one of the pesky devils. We were many miles from any kind of medical attention. I ended up running my horse to death and nearly killing myself carrying the child to help. She ended up losing an arm, but at least she still had her other one. I never saw her again, but I'm sure she did just fine with that one arm. She was without a doubt the most insufferable, headstrong young lady I have ever met.

That experience is why I never kill a rattlesnake when I come across one.
Perhaps if you had turned your horse around and taken them reins in your teeth and rode right at them snakes firing them two sixes you carry on your saddle. Well, I guess them snakes would have scattered.
laughing water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #98
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
[QUOTE=restrac2000;367035]Western Diamondback? They don't have habitat in Colorado or Utah:

Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
Snakes of Colorado - Colorado Herping
Crotalus atrox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only about 10 people a year die from snake bites in the US, not much of a concern.

Unless, of course, you're one of the ten.
laughing water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #99
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Federal agency kills hundreds of thousands of animals in Oregon
Wildlife Services works ‘to assist public with wildlife conflicts’

This was in the local Saturday Paper. Front Page.

The vast majority of the animals killed — 176,350 out of 205,283 total — were European starlings that flocked around feedlots and were poisoned
The article talks about a variety of concerns with a Federal Agency killing lots of critters.

Do they kill snakes?
Inquiring minds ............

I didn't find anything about snakes being killed by Feds. My search was weak and it probably occurs at least by collateral damage.

But did find this:
Rattlesnakes and their control

Interesting read.
Great trivia too.
{Calcium cyanide is a chemical frequently recommended, but no lethal gas has had good success because snakes have such a slow rate of metabolism, especially when in hibernation.}
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #100
Commercial Paleontology
To Kill or not.

Quite the responses here. Personally I have always loved snakes & have had them as pets & caught many different species over the years. Since becoming an adult I have never killed a snake no matter what kind or situation.... But hearing Restrac2000 account on Ruby/HorseThief...Yikes! Encountering that many at one camp w/ kids & pets surely might change my attitude for that instance.

I have to say....For the most part I have always appreciated, respected, & enjoyed Imyers posts on this site. I am not necessarily condoning Randaddy's attack.... but I certainly was disappointed in Mr. Myers last retort. Having never met you I thought you'd be the kind of guy to keep his wits & post a reply that would keep the upper hand on civility.

Each & every situation requires it's own approach...But in general I hope all of you folks out there enjoying the wilderness in those serpents home will do your best to respect & refrain from killing those dastardly demons even if they did screw with Eve & set that crazy precedence haha.

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote