Old 03-05-2016   #21
Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Yes, Philip is correct- search "super cheap trailer" on MB. Good ideas/pic's on HF trailers.

COcfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016   #22
Arboles, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by Koffler View Post
My prediction: You buy anything from Harbor Freight (as shown in the link in the previous post)-- in 1-3 years it will start falling apart..................................
I would have to say it depends how you do a Harbor Freight trailer......rather than just bolt it together, weld the critical joints and strengthen that way. That is how I built mine with 2" tubing enclosure and "platforms" for the tubes on either side. Floor rests on equipment in trailer or I string a couple of long straps between the two sides. Absolutely affordable (got it done for roughly 1200) and it works great. Kept the tilt bed and that is a help as well.

grin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016   #23
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've been running a modified snowmobile trailer (Sledbed) I've had for about 14 years. I've replaced the axle on the trailer after making the mistake of having the spindle rewelded. I put about 10K miles on each set of tires and run it on the highway at 75 - 85 mph. If you've got the little wheels, lube the bearings about every 500 - 750 miles, use marine grease because I like to back into the water to load up where boatramps allow. I like having the torsion suspension thats rated at ~2400 lbs because when I've got a heavy load on bumpy roads, that 1000 lb load probably doubles when hitting a big swale-type bump at 65 mph on the freeway or that bump that gets your trailer airborne on the rough road to the put-in.

Welcome to the Buzz! A lot of times you can find some great answers to your questions by checking out the search feature - searching on "raft trailer" returned a wealth of information you can find here.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016   #24
Steamboat, Colorado
I use an old snowmobile trailer to haul a 14' with a 12' raft on top. It is 8.5' long and fits the 14 fine. Originally it was 8' wide but I narrowed it down by 18" making it easier to drive and park in garage. My experience with the tires is that they work well as long as there is enough tongue weight. When going on multiday I am careful to put heaviest items up front and nothing but life jackets in the very back and have had no issues over many miles. I have gone through tires twice on day trips with just the fourteen and a very light load, I believe that is just due to not being able to get enough weight forward on the trailer. I have steel to extend the tongue which would allow me to place rafts further forward, that will help just need to find the time. Could also move the axel back. Would prefer a drop deck utility trailer in some ways, larger wheels and tires, rearward axel for more tongue weight, beefier but would miss the low deck especially for double stacking.
efis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016   #25
Twin Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Yeah fenders are mandatory. And mud flaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

All4ward is offline   Reply With Quote