Old 06-23-2015   #31
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Originally Posted by Plecoptera View Post
I'm 63 and just rowed the 14' freight boat on a group Lodore trip. When I went thru guide school at 61, the best boater/instructor in the class was 72. At 90, he will still be a better boater than you can ever hope to be.
Hell yeah!! I hope I can hang another 23 years and be 80 on the river.

Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015   #32
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Whetstone View Post
I just got off a three day float with a friend who is 70. He is running a marathon next week ...

On day one of our float, He was paddleing my IK in class two water. doing a great job. He stopped on a island to take a leak and made a bad step that dunked him good. Thaat was all, just a dunking in 58 degree water. .... By the time he reached us, at most 30 minutes later, he was hypothermic and getting quite shocky. I was scared shitless when I saw how grey and incapacitated he was. He had little or no muscle controll left and near violent trembles.
As much as age, I'll wager that his "marathoner physique" may not have helped him. Guessing he's slim/small muscle build with not much body fat. If he eats like a marathoner (low fat, high protein, low carb), I'd guess he wasn't running on a lot of excess calories or glycogen, either!

I don't know for sure what everyones' meal habits are, but the river is no time to cut calories. Fats are your friend to keep warm and keep hypothermia at bay (I've been mildly hypothermic 3x in my life, and EVERY time was tied to dehydration/low calorie stores). Now I eat like a beast before every river never know!

Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
I have had days with my kids when I was fine but they took a couple of waves too many riding the bull and then we go around the corner into the shade and they are almost hypothermic. And not always willing to ask for extra layers since they turned them down to start. Or didn't want to gear up for the rapids. It makes me cold to look at somebody cold so I have learned to stop, make em walk around and gear up.
Good post.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote