Public Comment Needed For Upper Ark! - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-09-2016   #21

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Is one of the purposes of the bollard on the Railroad Bridge ramp to limit access to too big/heavy of boats? House Rock and numerous spots on the Numbers at low water could be problem spots for big boats.
I would love to back a trailer down there to run the Fractions and down and have asked AHRA staff about this one. The reason for the bollards is to prevent erosion from vehicle traffic.

-AH

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2016   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
I would love to back a trailer down there to run the Fractions and down and have asked AHRA staff about this one. The reason for the bollards is to prevent erosion from vehicle traffic.

-AH
I understand about erosion control and also it would be a traffic nightmare with a steep gravel ramp only one vehicle wide. Typical private rafters spend 15 to 30 minutes on a ramp.

My question was, is it another purpose of the bollards to control the size of boats on certain sections? Between House Rock and low water, big boats could be a problem In Numbers and Fractions. Have you had your boat thru Fractions at low water? Or thru House Rock? Where would you take out for Fractions?

I am personally ok with the bollards, but my cat without oars is about 80 lbs. If I get stuck in low water, I stand up and carry. A friend got his 16' raft stuck in Sunshine at 500 cfs on a weekend and effectively closed the river down. I could not count the number of rafts waiting in the slow water above Sunshine by the time we got it out.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016   #23

Quote:
Is the Minnequa Dam between Canon City and Florence?
I have also heard it called the CF&I Dam.
Yes, the Minnequa dam is between Caρon City and Florence. It is owned by CF&I. (interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Fuel_and_Iron)

Quote:
Is one of the purposes of the bollard on the Railroad Bridge ramp to limit access to too big/heavy of boats? House Rock and numerous spots on the Numbers at low water could be problem spots for big boats.

And should the ARHA decide what size boats are appropriate on what sections? It is both a safety and traffic control concern.
I'd assume the bollard is not to limit access to a particular size of boat. AHRA should certainly not be deciding what size of boats are appropriate, even if you could argue a valid safety or traffic control concern.

Quote:
I mentioned earlier that every time they make access easier, traffic goes way up. I remember when it was rare to see rafts on Numbers or Pine Creek.
I'd say that is less the ease of access and more of the fact that the general public now desires options for more difficult water. Add in an increased population and things like self bailing floors, and the good old days are just that.

Quote:
And what are the issues at Pink House? I thought that was a done deal.
Rumor is that the property owner is having 2nd thoughts on the sale. The money was appropriated at the same time as the placer (Numbers) deal, so I don't know what the story is, other than the deal has not been closed yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post

-AH
I'm not sure I buy that reasoning. The Railroad Bridge ramp is less steep than several other ramps in the system. And what amount of erosion are they expecting - surely less than the gold diggers produce and nothing a load of road base every few years could not fix. If that were the only reason, why not pave it similar to Rincon or Parkdale? I'd prefer that it not be paved, but I'd also prefer to use it to its full capacity. I spend 10X more time lugging gear up and down that ramp than I would if I could back down.
bledoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016   #24

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Good conversation topics folks. PLEASE be sure and address these issues in your comments to the AHRA. Let them know how you feel about these questions and concerns. The comment period ends Friday.
Old 06-03-2016   #25

Buena Vista, Colorado
CPW, BLM, USFS seek comment on draft revisions of AHRA recreational management plan

SALIDA, Colo. – Colorado Parks and Wildlife, the Bureau of Land Management, and the U.S. Forest Service are seeking public input on draft alternatives for the management plan revision for recreation use along the Arkansas River. The public comment period begins tomorrow and closes on June 22, 2016.

The AHRA partnership is looking at three main alternatives when considering changes to the management plan: Alternative 1 would generally increase development/visitation to a small degree, Alternative 2 would increase development/visitation to a much larger degree, and Alternative 3 would keep things the same (no action). These alternatives were developed based on comments received during the scoping period as well as through input from agency staff. The partnership is seeking additional public feedback on these alternatives in order to develop an environmental assessment, which will include a preferred alternative. The preferred alternative could include elements of any of the alternatives. It is anticipated that the draft environmental assessment will be available in Fall 2016.

The Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area Management Plan provides a framework for managing numerous and often conflicting recreation activities along the 152-mile river corridor. The AHRA partnership manages river-based recreation through Browns Canyon National Monument. The BLM and USFS manage 21,589-acre Browns Canyon National Monument, which was designated in 2015. The Arkansas River is the most commercially rafted river in the United States, drawing nearly 240,000 (1) commercial boaters and resulting in an economic impact of more than $60 million (2). The Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area is also popular for camping, wildlife watching, gold panning and numerous other river-related recreation activities, including its Gold Medal Trout Fishery.

The current AHRA Management Plan can be found here: Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Publications

For more information please contact AHRA at 719-539-7289 or to submit a comment visit the AHRA website at: Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area

Before including your address, phone number, e-mail address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, be advised that your entire comment -- including your personal identifying information -- may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold from public review your personal identifying information, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.

---

The Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area is recognized as one of the nation's most popular locations for whitewater rafting and kayaking on the Arkansas River - the most commercially rafted river in the United States - and is noted for its world class trout fishery. The area is collaboratively managed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife, the Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service. AHRA consists of 45 recreation sites including 6 camping areas, 26 boat ramps and 18 developed facilities. The 152-mile long corridor sees roughly 800,000 visitors annually.

1 – Colorado Parks and Wildlife – Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area 2014 Annual Report: http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/pa...EOY5_21_15.pdf

2 – Colorado River Outfitters Association – Commercial River Use in the State of Colorado 2014 Year End Report: http://www.croa.org/wp-content/uploa...Use-Report.pdf
###

CPW is an enterprise agency, relying primarily on license sales, state parks fees and registration fees to support its operations, including: 42 state parks and more than 350 wildlife areas covering approximately 900,000 acres, management of fishing and hunting, wildlife watching, camping, motorized and non-motorized trails, boating and outdoor education. CPW's work contributes approximately $6 billion in total economic impact annually throughout Colorado.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't personally had the opportunity to review these proposals yet, but it's my understanding that at least one of the alternatives includes reducing private boater capacity in the Numbers. Leslie Tyson (Colorado Whitewater) is currently putting together some bullet points and important topics to consider with each of the alternatives. I will share that here (if she doesn't).
Old 06-03-2016   #26

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks Logan for getting this out here. Looking forward to seeing what Leslie comes up with and also if the group has any preference on the alternative to share with us.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016   #27

Buena Vista, Colorado
Sorry the last minute update folks, but AHRA's public comment period ends tomorrow....so please, make your voice heard today.

From Colorado Whitewater:

Alternative descriptions in brief (see section Section 2.3.1 for more detail):

No Change (aka Alternative 3): “The No Action alternative continues current recreation and multiple use goals and management practices described in the 2001 Plan ... Although no new initiatives would be implemented under a No Action alternative, minor adjustments would be made periodically to respond to changing needs or emerging challenges consistent with the current adaptive management program.”

Alternative 1: “This alternative would continue current management practices with the goal of maintaining current recreation setting characteristics while moderately changing site development and boating capacities to respond to identified issues and new needs.”

Alternative 2: “Alternative 2 is the most ambitious of the three alternatives evaluated, and would expand recreation opportunities and beneficial outcomes to a greater number of participants at additional locations. As with the other alternatives, current management practices that remain relevant and effective would remain in place supplemented by new initiatives to address emerging issues and challenges.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the specific actions to be taken under each alternative are listed briefly in summary here:

Colorado Whitewater - Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area Management Plan Update Synopsis

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal preference is probably for Alternative 2, because I am in favor of additional infrastructure expansion. However, this Alternative does reduce private boater capacities in several sections north of Buena Vista. These reductions should not have any impact on private boaters because they were over-allocated to begin with....but I hate to see any reduction in private boater numbers....

The other choice in my opinion is Alternative 3. Which would essentially mean no change.

Thanks for taking the time to contribute. You can comment here:

https://www.research.net/r/AHRA_alternatives
Old 06-21-2016   #28

Paddling Since: 1994
Done.

Come on folks, if you dont have a real opinion, feel like it is managed fine, or really dont care, it only takes 3 minutes. Click on the link, type no change in the boxes and go about your day. Hell, type it in the first box and copy paste it in the rest.

If you do have an opinion on a particular section, comment on that section and type no change in the rest.

Time to bitch is now! If you dont go in, spend three minutes and type no change it could be changed for the worse!
Old 06-21-2016   #29

Buena Vista, Colorado
Most of the items regarding improvements and expansions of facilities and infrastructure can go either way depending on your opinion, BUT the one item we should all speak up about is the proposed reduction of private boater capacity in section 1A to ZERO!

1A is a subpar stretch of river with a very short window of opportunity to float, from the confluence with Lake Fork down to the highway 24 bridge, well north of Granite.... but I know several folks from Twin Lakes and Leadville who use the stretch as a beginner training ground.

The reduction of capacities to 0 in this stretch would allow the AHRA to ticket private boaters who float it, and set an unacceptable precedent for the State Park.
Old 06-21-2016   #30

Paddling Since: 1994
An across the board no change ruling would keep access to 1A open correct?