Public Comment Needed For Upper Ark! - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-26-2016   #11

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Here are some Topics/Information/Questions for your consideration when making comments, courtesy Christina King (environmental rep to the CTF and representative for Pikes Peak River Runners):

Mining:

* Should placer mining be allowed along river corridor? Concerns about sedimentation and lack of “cleanup”, miners dig up riverbed (bad for fishery), dig around banks (erosion and don’t repair the site after done digging).

* If we can’t stop it, how can we minimize damage done?

Land Acquisition (site development, enhance existing sites, etc…): Think about the AHRA sites that you use:

* How could they be improved? Should they be improved? Do you want water, electric and sewer hookups, trash service, cell service, wifi? Are you willing to pay more for these amenities? Or at the very minimum pit toilets at each site. Is parking adequate? Is river access good enough? Could sites be improved to provide quicker boat/trailer access?

* Do you want more river access sites (or less)? To create shorter runs? Why and where?
At a minimum, what should each river access site have? Trailer access, parking, toilets???? What else?

* Where would you put more river access sites to provide “easy” runs with no rapids to relieve the pressure at Section 3? Or to just have more short run options for families with children or easier learning areas for newbie private boaters (kayakers, rowers, float fishing, duckiers, SUP, etc…)

* Ruby Mountain site: Make the site off-limits 100% of the time to commercial operations? Or develop another site for commercial needs above Ruby. Improve (widen) put-in/takeout at existing Ruby Mountain ramp. Improve blind curve into Ruby Mountain site!

* Royal Gorge takeout options: How would you improve the takeouts? Widen existing private boater trailer ramp on river right at Canon City park and/or allow use on river left (formerly private but now commercial only)?

* Rails to Trails: Should agencies work hard to turn abandoned railroad line in Brown’s Canyon into a trail system? If so, would bikes be allowed?

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016   #12

Buena Vista, Colorado
Visitor Experience (capacities, conflict, satisfaction, etc…):

* Are commercial and private boater capacities in the different sections set appropriately?

* Conduct Visitor Experience survey’s continuously (i.e. online)

* Campers: Are the sites quiet at night? Campsites too close to each other or just about right? What do you expect?

* Hikers: Do you want more trails or less? Want better trail maps?

* Anglers: Describe your perfect day angling? What bothers you the most? How do you pick where you want to fish?

* Should the plan remove all mention of private boater capacities and the corresponding direct control through private boater permitting? See Direct Controls Section 2-17 in existing plan. FYI: Commercial outfitters support the idea or removing Private Boater Direct Controls (i.e. capacity limits and private boater permitting system). Why? Because we are such a small percentage of overall use- we just don’t bother them. Private boater numbers have remained relatively flat over the years, except for increased use in Section 3. See chart on next page for overall use statistics. CTF has in effect been delaying a private boater permitting system by increasing private boater capacities slightly so we won’t reach trigger points.

* Or if managers insist on private boater permitting systems be left in plan, make the criteria to implement much more difficult. i.e. develop/change to appropriate capacities for popular stretches, require 5 consecutive years of “over capacities” before implementing permitting, require user experience survey’s to verify that this is an issue for all users, require open zones with no capacity limits within town limits, require that private boater capacity on entire river corridor not exceed capacity (not just one river segment), count people not boats, waive over capacity use during drought or high water scenarios, exchange use with commercial outfitters only if private boaters go over (but do not give excess private boater capacity to outfitters), count boat rentals as commercial users, etc….

* What user category do you put yourself in? Kayaker, duckier, rafter, SUP, float fishing angler, walk/wade angler, does it matter? Tell them if you do different activities and why. What works well in regards to other users and what “bugs” you?

* Anglers: educate anglers (walk-and-wade and float fishing) that there are many great places to fish, not just Section 3. Make a special brochure just for them highlighting access points, skill levels required (i.e. minimal to no rapids), walking ease, etc….along entire river corridor. Spread them out.

* Does the river corridor need more or less river rangers? What do you think about river rangers? Helpful? Just about right? Need more enforcement, of what?

* Have you experienced user conflict? What bothered you?
Old 01-26-2016   #13

Buena Vista, Colorado
Natural Resources (wildlife, fishery, birds, environment, sedimentation, etc…):

* Do you enjoy seeing wildlife? Fishing? Birdwatching? Do you go to special areas to see this or do you enjoy it IF you see it?

* Do you want river otters actively introduced back into Ark River corridor?

* Do you want Bighorn sheep actively introduced into Brown’s Canyon river corridor? Typically we don’t see them OFTEN in Brown’s Canyon.

* Are you a birder? What are your concerns?

* Improve (reduce) sedimentation issues from Chalk Creek and Hecla Junction drainages into Arkansas River.

* Continue Leave No Trace education efforts along river corridor (ie. Multiple Trailing, urination in bushes (please urinate in river), etc…. Still a problem.

* Canal owners along river corridor: Seem to get away with completing major “maintenance” projects that ruin miles of river banks. Should they have more monitoring and plan approval and follow up after the work is completed?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all! Again, comments can be submitted here:

https://www.research.net/r/AHRAMP
Old 01-26-2016   #14

C. Springs, Colorado
Thanks for posting that lmyers. I'm hoping for a good turn out in C Springs.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016   #15

C. Springs, Colorado
Thay said last night there would be one more meeting tonight at the REI store in Denver.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016   #16

bump
Old 02-08-2016   #17

Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Here are some Topics/Information/Questions for your consideration when making comments, courtesy Christina King (environmental rep to the CTF and representative for Pikes Peak River Runners):

Mining:

* Should placer mining be allowed along river corridor? Concerns about sedimentation and lack of “cleanup”, miners dig up riverbed (bad for fishery), dig around banks (erosion and don’t repair the site after done digging).

* If we can’t stop it, how can we minimize damage done?

Land Acquisition (site development, enhance existing sites, etc…): Think about the AHRA sites that you use:

* How could they be improved? Should they be improved? Do you want water, electric and sewer hookups, trash service, cell service, wifi? Are you willing to pay more for these amenities? Or at the very minimum pit toilets at each site. Is parking adequate? Is river access good enough? Could sites be improved to provide quicker boat/trailer access?

* Do you want more river access sites (or less)? To create shorter runs? Why and where?
At a minimum, what should each river access site have? Trailer access, parking, toilets???? What else?

* Where would you put more river access sites to provide “easy” runs with no rapids to relieve the pressure at Section 3? Or to just have more short run options for families with children or easier learning areas for newbie private boaters (kayakers, rowers, float fishing, duckiers, SUP, etc…)

* Ruby Mountain site: Make the site off-limits 100% of the time to commercial operations? Or develop another site for commercial needs above Ruby. Improve (widen) put-in/takeout at existing Ruby Mountain ramp. Improve blind curve into Ruby Mountain site!

* Royal Gorge takeout options: How would you improve the takeouts? Widen existing private boater trailer ramp on river right at Canon City park and/or allow use on river left (formerly private but now commercial only)?

* Rails to Trails: Should agencies work hard to turn abandoned railroad line in Brown’s Canyon into a trail system? If so, would bikes be allowed?

Train Station river left in Cañon City was never a private boater take out. It's city owned and cost commercial outfitters 50 cents a costumer. Lots of "that guy" boaters have taken out there but it's illegal and in the way. I take out there on night trips when the wave is good but commercial traffic is lite at 2 am.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
eljim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljim View Post
Train Station river left in Cañon City was never a private boater take out. It's city owned and cost commercial outfitters 50 cents a costumer. Lots of "that guy" boaters have taken out there but it's illegal and in the way. I take out there on night trips when the wave is good but commercial traffic is lite at 2 am.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Interesting. I've taken out at the train station a least a dozen times, quite often while commercials are there and no one has ever mentioned "commercial only". It is a city park and is not posted "commercial only".

Seems strange they would add the play features just upstream of the bridge and make the access illegal for privates.
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljim View Post
The Train Station (River Front Park) river left in Cañon City is available as a private boater take-out - and always has been. It is City owned and they at one time did charge commercial outfitters to use the site - but that was to cover administrative costs. Several years ago the City entered into an agreement with AHRA such that AHRA would manage the commercial outfitters thus removing the administrative efforts (and fee collection) required by the City. Following the approval of that agreement AHRA incorrectly signed the ramp as "commercial boaters only - permit required". After a few emails this issue was resolved and to this day you will see the subsequent sign that was posted noting that the ramp is available for private boater put-in or take-out. Parking at the ramp is restricted to commercial vehicles, but privates can use the paved lot to the west (<1 minute walk).

Now, as I see it you only have a few days left to comment to AHRA on other issues that have an impact on your use of the river such as:
> running significant amounts of water in the dead of winter
> the unfortunate bollard in the middle of the Railroad Bridge boat ramp
> the fact that the Texas Creek boat ramp is still closed
> the pending issue of Pink House (lease and purchase are in question)
> what the new campground and boat ramp will look like at Numbers (bollard in the middle of the ramp rendering it useless to trailers???)
> Minnequa dam preventing navigability in the lower valley
> the mess that is the Oil Creek Ditch diversion (fyi - new metal in the river right slot)
bledoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016   #20

Is the Minnequa Dam between Canon City and Florence?
I have also heard it called the CF&I Dam.

And how about cleaning up the dam between Granite and Pine Creek?

Is one of the purposes of the bollard on the Railroad Bridge ramp to limit access to too big/heavy of boats? House Rock and numerous spots on the Numbers at low water could be problem spots for big boats.

And should the ARHA decide what size boats are appropriate on what sections? It is both a safety and traffic control concern.

I mentioned earlier that every time they make access easier, traffic goes way up. I remember when it was rare to see rafts on Numbers or Pine Creek.

And thank you for clearing up the issue with the Train Statin takeout.
I always prefer the takeout that is closest to a brewpub!

And what are the issues at Pink House? I thought that was a done deal.
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote