Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 02-21-2012   #1

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Partner Stove tips/advice?

I have the best GF in the world! Two days ago she surprised me with a brand new Partner Steel stove for my birthday.

I know, if treated right, its a lifetime piece of equipment. Teach me how to treat it right....

Old 02-21-2012   #2

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Keep it clean. After trips clean out the jets, they can be removed with a small hex wrench and cleaned out with small wire or a pin, etc. The gaskets on the hoses will eventually wear out, but to make them last longer keep them from drying out. I use a little bit of oil on them to keep them from drying out. Keep the sand out, especially out of where the hose connects, you don't want to bugger up the threads.
Another tip is to make a repair kit to keep with the stove: wrench for the jets, small wire to clean out the jets, and extra gaskets.
Other than that I think they are bomber.

Old 02-21-2012   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
My partner steel stove experience may be unique in that I just use them and maintenance is a basic wash down at trips end. That is all the maintenance I do.

my 4 burner has to be close to ten years of very hard use. Left it opened in the rain one night on a Yampa all night storm, burners filled with water. Turned the propane on full blast and blew out the water. Waited for the gas to break down a bit and the stove lighted, spluttered a bit till things heated up and has run perfectly ever since. Since then we close the cases at night and no issues after a lot of storms. Normally on last meal of a trip clean up we wash it down pretty good. Other than that, no maintenance and all 4 burners work great. Got the two burner maybe 5 or so years ago to make coffee on and free up the 4 burner for food. Same routine on maintenance and use.

I got a maintenance kit with the original and carry it on trips but never needed it.

I do not know how long these stoves last, maybe forever. I do recommend a carry case for the stoves. Lots of good ones out there. River Rat Ray Tuff River Stuff in Salida CO makes the most burly one I have seen.

I know there are all sorts of stove options out there and all sorts of reasons why a person should buy coleman, el cheepo China Made, you name it. (I think Partner Steel is the only camp stove made in the US by Idaho craftsmen - I once had a question on using two griddles on my 4 burner and called Partner Steel - person who answered the phone said hold on I will get the man who builds them - he can help you - try that on your Coleman ) To each their own. I look at Partner Steel stoves as a life time investment in good food on trips for as long as I go then I will give mine away to a river bud. Buy one now as the price of the metal goes up each year. The entire stove is easily rebuild able and Partner Steel has all the parts.
Old 02-21-2012   #4

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
Love my four-burner !! Ditto on keeping it clean - especially the sand in the hose ends where it can make for a poor connection and leak propane. One other bit of advice is to never cover the stove completely with too large of a pan/griddle. If your griddle is larger than one side of the stove, raise it off the grill a half inch or so (I keep two pieces of half-inch square tubing in the stove with the hoses). If not, the griddle will trap the heat, and it will get hot enough in the burner box to melt the o-rings by the jets.
Old 02-21-2012   #5

Professional Transient, See above.
And in the event that you do have a problem with them-

My buddy has a 6 burner he uses for Boy Scout car camping. Something broke he couldn't repair (I don't remember what it was now). He sent it to Partner. The fixed it and fed ex'd (2day) it back to him at no charge.

I'm looking for a partner stove myself, if anyone is looking to get rid of one.
Old 02-21-2012   #6

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
I've had my Partner stove for 15 years, and have never had a problem. I carry extra jets and a 5/16" nut driver to install them, but I've never had to replace a jet. Take care to keep dirt out.

I have never had an issue with the o-rings, although I carry spares for them too. Don't put oil on o-rings. If they are natural rubber, it will kill them very quickly. If you have to put lubricant on the o-rings, use silicone. If it's an emergency, push a wire through a plugged jet, but consider the jet ruined after you do. The orifice diameter is much smaller than any wire or needle you'll have on the river. Once you've reamed it out with a wire, the jet will be too big, and performance will be compromised. Partner sent me a package of spare jets at no charge, and I've carried them along ever since.

The only complaint I have with the Partner stove is that the needle valves are kind of fragile. People seem to feel the need to reef them down tight when they turn off the burners, and that ruins the valves. I constantly have to remind people to turn them off gently. Once the needle valves are damaged, you will have a very hard time adjusting the stove for a low flame. The only cure is a new valve.

This might seem basic, but close the stove at night. If dew or rain gets on the burners, they can be impossible to light until you dry them off. If they do get wet, a high-speed electric raft pump can blow the water out. Barring that, you'll have to hold a lighter under the burner to evaporate the water.

You're right about the girlfriend. I had to buy my own stove.
Old 02-21-2012   #7

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Treat her well so the stove doesnt outlast the courtship ....
Old 02-21-2012   #8

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard
Treat her well so the stove doesnt outlast the courtship ....
I'm hoping to hold on to both until I die.
Old 02-21-2012   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post

(I think Partner Steel is the only camp stove made in the US by Idaho craftsmen - I once had a question on using two griddles on my 4 burner and called Partner Steel - person who answered the phone said hold on I will get the man who builds them - he can help you - try that on your Coleman )
I went into Partner Steel while I was in Pokie a few years back, just to have a look around. They took me on a quick tour, and I got to watch the guys putting the stoves together. Not too many places where you can hang out and watch the craftsman working on the product these days. They take great pride in their stuff. Needless to say, I walked out with a new stove, and they threw in a griddle at a discount. Awesome.
Our biggest pet peeve is folks dropping the hoses in the sand. Be Careful. Thanks for the tip on the valves Mogur.....I'll have to watch that on mine and have folks turn them on & off Gently. That's probably why the dials on my buddy's older stove are so touchy.
KJ
Old 02-21-2012   #10

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
One of the best ways to protect your expensive gear like stoves is to set it up and break it down yourself. That way no one drops the hose in the sand or cross threads the connection, sometimes people (usually a kayaker ) will force the stove closed bending the burners.
I also recommend getting Partners repair kit and bringing it on the river, it has pretty much everything needed for on river repairs. Another common problem is using too large of pans which doesn't allow heat to escape and can melt the O rings or knob.
These stoves are pretty tough, some guys just rinse them out in the river.
Btw that girls a keeper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
I have the best GF in the world! Two days ago she surprised me with a brand new Partner Steel stove for my birthday.

I know, if treated right, its a lifetime piece of equipment. Teach me how to treat it right....