Old 02-21-2012   #11
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Hi Medic. I've had my 4-B Partner 14 years. Never removed any parts at all and only replaced the o-rings on the hoses a couple of times. So I think they are mostly maintenence free. But here are my observations for care:

1. Carry spare o-rings and get them from Partner or make sure they are for POL and gas fittings. The ones for gas are a little harder rubber, I think, to handle the gas/cold. Regular hardware store o-rings work but fail quickly, as I found out.

2. Find and carry an MSR or Primus orifice cleaning tool. It's a flat piece of light metal with a small thin wire on one end. I found mine on eBay and bought a handful for about $10. Not sure what diameter size the wire is, but what I got works. I wouldn't take the orifices out as some suggested. Nothing against that, but if they do happen to get grease or dirt in, it's likely to be from cooking/spilling etc. and the needle tool works good to clear the orifice, which is very small. And you don't have to worry about stripping the threads, losing the parts, etc., especially on the river.

3. Once a year take your burners off and coat the threads with anti-seize compound. The burners are stainless, etc., but over time they will seize onto the threads and you'll never get em off. The burners can be replaced. Mine are 14 YO and ready for replacement, but I can't get em off. So I brush the rust out of the gas holes from time to time to keep em running. Instead of just replacing the burners I'll have to send mine to Partner to have the whole burner-rack replaced.

4. Carry a mini-can of WD-40 and hit the brass threads on the hose and tank fitting once in awhile. If they get grimy on a trip and hard to tighten, a quick squirt frees em up.

I wrote a goofy poem too, about the valves, the point of which is, if you ever take one apart, you'll see, the needle valves are small and brass/bronze and have very fine threads and super small o-ring. Sooooo - there no need to wrench them down tight when turning off the stove. FINGER TIGHT is plenty. Keep big burly hands under control. Shut gas off at the tank overnight. The valves are likely the most delicate part of the stove. Mine are still going strong after 14 years, but I tell everyone - - "Don't overtighten those valves. Finger tight is plenty!"

Of course, keeping your hoses out of the sand is important. I used to spend a lot of time trying to coil and pack the hose inside the stove case. It will fit, but over time I found it easier to put the hose in a stuff sack inside the kitchen box. Easier on the equipment. So I have the stuff sack in my hands when I disconnect the hose and it goes right in without ever touching the ground (usually!).

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #12
Jenks, Oklahoma
Hey cataraftgirl, I have two of those griddles and can cook up pancakes big time or grill garlic bread etc

the griddles are just excellent cooking utensils

hope you enjoy your griddle as much as my group of boaters have!!!!

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #13
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
All of the above advice is great. Buy the repair kit and then go out and buy some 1" square steel tubes that will fit over the length of both burners. Use these when you are using a large pan or griddle to keep the flames from getting the controls and supply hoses too hot. I have a 4 burner and carry 4 of these bars for those occasions. It really sucks to blow out a control valve or supply hose when you're cooking up a a big batch of bacon and pancakes in the morning. You still have plenty of heat to cook everything. Also cuts down on flaming cooks running across the beach. That disturbs everyone just trying to enjoy their coffee.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #14
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
Hey cataraftgirl, I have two of those griddles and can cook up pancakes big time or grill garlic bread etc

the griddles are just excellent cooking utensils

hope you enjoy your griddle as much as my group of boaters have!!!!
Between my rafting buddy & I, we own almost every stove Partner makes....2 different 2 burner stoves, one 4 burner stove, one 6 burner stove, stove stands & wind screens, and 3 of the griddles. Those griddles are the bomb. He got the 6 burner last summer, and that thing rocks. Serious river cooking on that puppy. We are major gear sluts. It there a river gear 12 step program????
After reading all these posts, it sounds like I should invest in the Partner repair kit. A good idea.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #15
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
About closing up your stove at's my favorite stove story & picture. We are always careful to close the stove & turn off the gas at night. On a Middle fork trip three years we opened the stove in the morning to find an odd looking nest in the corner of the stove. Twigs & feathers. We weren't sure what kind of critter made the nest. As we were standing there looking at the nest.....out ran a very small & very freaked out mouse. We took the nest out and dismantled it. Next morning.....same nest in the stove. That was one determined little mouse. Made for a great river memory.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #16
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
As told to me by Bill at Partner, if you use their griddles, they are designed with enough vent space around the edge that you don't need to raise them. If you use a griddle larger than the stove box, then you need to use the square tubes to allow the heat to escape.
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #17
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Dont let anyone put pots in the sand then on the stove. ( for example filling dish water pot on the beach and carrying to the stove)
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #18
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
I have the best GF in the world! Two days ago she surprised me with a brand new Partner Steel stove for my birthday.

I know, if treated right, its a lifetime piece of equipment. Teach me how to treat it right....
If you have the 4 burner that measures 18 x 12 x 7 when closed they fit nicely in a 30 mm ammo can with space to fit the hose on the side. My friend uses the can to protect the stove and hose from the elements.( dirt, sand, water, etc.). 25$ to protect your present.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #19
Jenks, Oklahoma
yup, I have used two Partner Steel Griddles on my Partner Steel 4 burner for years. No problems. With both griddles going it is not quite but close enough to a "flat top" that the group can have eggs, pancakes etc cooked to order and enjoy hot food!!!!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #20
Hose storage made easier

One thing I like to do with my Partner stove is to rotate the burner/grill assemblies 180 degrees so that the gas tubes leading to the burners are pointed towards the stove hinge when breaking down and closing up the stove. This allows for an easier time to get everything to fit when coiling the hose and storing it inside the stove.

Also, I believe that only the 16" 4 burner stove will fit inside a standard rocket box. I used some 1/4" thick wood to take up the extra space around the stove inside the rocket box and it now fits like a glove. That box and stove package could fall out the back of a trailer at 60 mph and be just fine. A little insurance for an expensive stove!

EZ is offline   Reply With Quote