Old 02-13-2014   #31
North, Idaho
U.S. Senate: Senators Home

Contact info for all US senators. Baucus is no longer senator in MT and was recently replaced by John Walsh.

ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #32
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Has anybody taken the time to read the bill in its entirety? AW has done a lot of excellent work in the past years so I'm very curious as to why they pulled support? It's easy to speculate, easy to judge. Given how hard they've worked on river access issues over the years, and how many successes (and losses) they've beckons us to know the subject matter in whole before passing judgement. If they pulled support due to the other articles contained in the bill, then it's only appropriate and intelligent to know what those articles are before condemning and relinquishing support. I'm sure this is not the last time AW will go after access in these parks and others. They've been after this for a while.

To air is human, to get big air divine.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #33
cedar city, Utah
There are alot of ways to foster change. I am skeptical of the accusations being lobbed against AW and I am personally satisfied with their 3 paragraph explanation on their website, especially considering the problems exposed here with the current bill. I would love to see more information from AW but I can understand their limited response in the moment considering how contentious the issue remains.

The legislative process is a nasty beast. Over the past five years I have been amazed to see how many bills get dissected, destroyed and abandoned in Congress. Its been a wild education that is inconsistent with my ideals and simplistic understanding from my childhood.

Its apropo that someone mentions Melville's white whale metaphor for this bill. Ahab took down his ships and killed his entire crew because he refused to change course and rethink his quest. Maybe AW saw the writing on the wall and understood that the losses with continuing the support for this bill would be much greater than any potential gains, if any. Just a thought.

We all weigh our goals and priorities differently. I hope folks get what they want from this issue. Best of luck.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #34
North, Idaho
A Quick Summary

On Santa Rosa Island Florida, leaseholders of homes on public land would receive deeded titles to that land and be required to pay property taxes

Historical lands near Anchorage AK which were previously the original anchorage town site totaling 5 acres will be transferred back to the city

"The Fernley Economic Self-Determination Act would give the city of Fernley the opportunity to purchase up to 9,114 acres of Bureau of Land Management and Bureau of Reclamation lands within the city boundaries at fair market value for the purpose of multi-use development. The city has said possible uses could include parks, an airport, hospital, convention center and other businesses"-Reno Gazette
The BLM can't receive any more donated land until an adequate inventory of current lands suitable for disposal is complete
Deregulate access to Cape Hatterus, while maintaining species protections
Preserve the Green Mountain Lookout in Washington State and only move it only if that is the best way to preserve the health and safety of the lookout and Green Mountain visitors
Boat in Yellowstone and Teton
"The grazing improvement act, introduced by Congressman Raul Labrador has passed through the house. The act would extend grazing permits from 10 to 20-years and speed up the permit process. Congressman Labrador said that this bill would make it easier for the Idaho industry to have access to the land."-KLEWTV
Approve Salvage Logging from the Rim Fire Near Yosemite
Financial disclosure and transparency for land managers in the Chesapeake Bay area
Allow the Federal Government to retain subsurface mineral and petroleum rights on 80 acre parcels of land which are deeded to native, Alaskan, veterans
ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #35
Boise, Idaho
I can not, and will not, EVER support public lands "access" or "conservation" bills that include, as exchange bait, giving or ceding title of lands to private citizens, cities, counties, states, or development. While there may be reason for facilitating exchanges of public lands to the private (or state/local) sphere, those need to be discussed on their own merits, and not as quid pro quo for access.

I am completely FOR multiple use management and recognize the need to balance recreation, grazing, conservation, wilderness, and energy development. But when a bill is presented to give a certain segment of the recreation community some scraps (holy grail of whitewater access or not), in exchange for ridiculous grazing lease reformation, tens of thousands of acres of public lands given away... there is a larger principle we need to stand up for.

I also recognize that many/most of the public are single issue supporters when it comes to public lands issues (even if they are not single use users). But, keep in mind that is what divides, for instance, the recreation community. Wilderness people want wilderness; mountain bikers want access to trails in wilderness, river rats want river access, OHV people want to keep their trails from being closed down, hunters hate everyone... and on and on and on until nothing gets done or industry/development wins out.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #36
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
I've spoken with staffers of the legislators who are involved with this bill and would like to clear up some of the confusion in this thread about the paddling bill and its relation to the other bills that passed the house along side of it. My understanding is that it will be introduced by itself in the Senate so its not really tied to the other bills. Generally speaking, if the paddling bill passes the Senate not connected to the other bills, then it will go back to the House for approval on its own. Therefore its not opposition to the other bills that is causing AW or other conservation groups to oppose the paddling bill, instead they're opposed to the paddling bill itself.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #37
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Is AW opposed to the bill, or does AW believe NPS's opposition along with other groups make it unlikely the bill would succeed? I got the impression it was the latter, and AW chose to back off and live to fight another day.
Fash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #38
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
AW's statement says they don't want to damage relations with "conservation partners", and they don't want to waste resources that could be used elsewhere, since they don't think this will pass. Disappointing.

Contact Bennett and Udall, and let them know how they can best represent you.
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #39
Sylva, Western North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1981
I don't have a problem with AW's stance. Sometime it's necessary to pick your battles. I suggest contacting the appropriate legislators to assist them in crafting a better piece of legislation.

We've all walked a rapid or two in our paddling career. AW is walking around this one.

AW still has my support.

Originally Posted by Roy View Post
AW's statement says they don't want to damage relations with "conservation partners", and they don't want to waste resources that could be used elsewhere, since they don't think this will pass. Disappointing.

Contact Bennett and Udall, and let them know how they can best represent you.
spack171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #40
I do not speak for AW in any capacity, but AW recently submitted extremely comprehensive comments on Yellowstone's draft comprehensive river management plan (CRMP) for the newly-designated Wild and Scenic sections.

The Park's draft plan was grossly deficient as a matter of federal law AND as a matter of NPS management policy. Time will tell if the Park takes those comments seriously in its final Plan.

But in any case, I don't think it's fair to say AW has given up on paddling in Yellowstone.

jkodadek is offline   Reply With Quote