Opinions on new Lower Animas features? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-20-2017   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Opinions on new Lower Animas features?

I went to the white water play park to check out the new features on the Lower Animas yesterday (3/19 at 1300 cfs) and people were standing around giving major side eye to the flows. What do you think Durango/visitor people? Are you happy, curious, sad, worried? IS that a sinker hole after the first drop?

Brookey is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017   #2

Durango, Colorado
I went through at 650cfs. Had to go far river left still. Current tries to suck you into the big eddy on river left. You have to push pretty good to stay right and hit the next two drops. They are abrupt and steep but smoother than I had thought they would be. I haven't been out since but am anxious to see how they develop at higher flows. I could see them being very sticky above 3000cfs. Kinda hard to hit the drops square when you're trying to push right... I don't think the parks and rec dept. gave much thought to river users. They just wanted more intake flow for the shit plant. And what are they doing down at ponderosa? I've seen an excavator with a big cutoff wheel cutting the cemented in boulders... Seems like they just keep fucking up our little whitewater park every time they try and change it.
El Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Sounds like the Golden park for a while. They have mostly fixed it now, but it felt like for about 5 years it just kept getting worse and worse.

Hope it works out for the Animas. If they mess it up now its gonna be a whole season before its fixed.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017   #4

Durango, Colorado
Boat type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rio View Post
I went through at 650cfs. Had to go far river left still. Current tries to suck you into the big eddy on river left. You have to push pretty good to stay right and hit the next two drops. They are abrupt and steep but smoother than I had thought they would be. I haven't been out since but am anxious to see how they develop at higher flows. I could see them being very sticky above 3000cfs. Kinda hard to hit the drops square when you're trying to push right... I don't think the parks and rec dept. gave much thought to river users. They just wanted more intake flow for the shit plant. And what are they doing down at ponderosa? I've seen an excavator with a big cutoff wheel cutting the cemented in boulders... Seems like they just keep fucking up our little whitewater park every time they try and change it.
What kind of boat were you floating? I am not sure what is up with Pondy. It will be interesting to see everyone trying to set up after all that to avoid a lateral hit. Also, there are a ton of bags above 9th street bridge on river right extending almost to the middle of the river...Does anyone know what is happening with that?
Old 03-20-2017   #5

Durango, Colorado
Don't know what's up with the bags at 9th st. I had forgot about all of that. I was in a oar powered 14.5 ft. Maravia.
Old 03-20-2017   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookey View Post
Also, there are a ton of bags above 9th street bridge on river right extending almost to the middle of the river...Does anyone know what is happening with that?
I believe the city is replacing a water line that runs under the river by the skate park, and that is what the bags and pump are about.

I ran the new features on Thursday evening at just under 1000cfs in a 10' raft, and it was interesting. I have a feeling the top drops will cause some serious carnage, and some long swims at higher flows. They are steep, short, and felt retentive even at 1000... Bring on the class IV town run!
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #7

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatin mucho View Post
I believe the city is replacing a water line that runs under the river by the skate park, and that is what the bags and pump are about.

I ran the new features on Thursday evening at just under 1000cfs in a 10' raft, and it was interesting. I have a feeling the top drops will cause some serious carnage, and some long swims at higher flows. They are steep, short, and felt retentive even at 1000... Bring on the class IV town run!
I was thinking that the designation might have to change, especially with the nasty bit at the top, so a swimmer would be swimming Smelter, Corner pocket, Pondy, etc after possibly fighting to get out of a serious hole. Those eddies on the left are hard to get out of as a swimmer as they recirculate rather strongly. Usually a class 3 swim is harmless, this swim looks no bueno.
Old 03-20-2017   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I love the new ledges! It's like a mini Dagger Falls in our back yard. I run left everyday in my Rockstar.
wsmckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #9

Durango, Colorado
I say we name it Killer Fang Falls 1&2. Don't know about the left chute yet...
Old 03-20-2017   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I like it! Maybe the poop chute? It is right next to the intake for the sewer plant...
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animas