Old 05-29-2014   #1
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
operational best practices

Hi folks,
I am looking for cite-able, authoritative sources on the best practices for equipment setup, operation, and safety of large (16 ft +) rafts and motorized hard hull boats in moving water and whitewater. I am not really looking for personal opinions (I have plenty of my own), I am looking for cite-able sources such as the Safety Code of American Whitewater or Slim Ray's River Rescue books. Those two are good sources, but they tend to focus on smaller paddle rafts and kayaks in smaller rivers.

Specific topics include:
Rigging/ design of boats
Entanglement/ entrapment hazards
Safety, or danger of chest waders and hip boots
Proper footwear
training/ skill level of operators
big river, boat based, "running rescue" situations
and, of course, anything else important that I can't think of right now

Anyone that knows of such sources would be greatly appreciated. Presently, I am finding that most material relates to either small river paddling or lake power boating, but I haven't found anything specific to big rivers and big boats.

Thanks again in advance.

mikepart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #2
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978

You might check out the following in your research:
1-The Carrying Passengers for Hire Study Guide, on the Utah State Parks commercial boating section.
In order to attain a Whitewater River Guide license, one must document 9 whitewater river trips, plus take a written exam, as well as hold advanced first aid/cpr cards.
2-Colorado State Parks. You have to dig a bit here, but the River Outfitters License section will have some relevant info on river guide and on guide instructor qualifications, as well as regs about gear needed on commercial trips.
3-Northwest River Supply. bottom of the page, click Learn, then Rafting. Stuff here on entrapment, selecting a raft, and others.
4-Whitewater Voyages Guide School. Whitewater Voyages is a long standing California based company. The original owner, William McGinnis, wrote three books that I still consider classics. The basic info is relevant.
"Whitewater Rafting" William McGinnis, 1975
"The Guide's Guide: Reflections on guiding professional river trips"
"Class V Briefing"
Doubtful most libraries will have them, but to purchase cheap try AbeBooks Official Site - New & Used Books, Textbooks, & Rare Books. order from 5 star sellers.
5-last, "The Complete Whitewater Rafter" can still be had in some river stores. Again, a bit dated but lots of relevant information.
Good Luck. Sounds like an interesting project.

DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #3
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks, sounds like good advise I will look into them. If I get something put together, I will post a summary on the buzz.

I am going to try to look into Grand Canyon River Guides, outfitter organizations, and NPS sources for big motor rigs in Cat and Grand Canyon. Still wondering where to find info on hard bottom motor boats in rivers.
mikepart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #4
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Good ideas on the additional sources. Rescue 3 International is another source. They do several levels of rescue from whitewater boaters to advanced rescue for fire fighters and SAR folks. Their manuals would be excellent.
For the hard bottom boats, you might call the commercial boating office with the Utah State Parks and see if they have any suggested references.
Last, you might dig for docs and river licenses in the state of Idaho, as they have outfitters who do jet boat tours on the Snake River.
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote