Mountain Buzz banner

Northwest storms

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Wadeinthewater 
#1 ·
Smith R at Crescent City, CA hit a peak of almost 50,000 cfs on the 17th!

#3 ·
The Rogue hit 90,000 last year, I am pretty sure the Illy has been over 50,000 before. Some guides ran the Wild and Scenic section of the Rogue in 4.5 hours while it was at 90,000 earlier this year. (34 miles)

#6 ·
Whoa, thanks for the intel, puts things in perspective. I remember seeing a marker high up on the cliff above the Klamath R road which showed a high water mark.

I guess u don't need a permit for the Rogue if you'r doing it in one day?!

#7 ·
228,000cfs is the current max historical flow for the smith in contrast to last weeks 50,000cfs. It is an incredible river system if you ever have the chance to make it out and run some of the forks. 10ft on the pipe is a good first-time flow for the North Fork Smith. Barfoot Brad in Gasquet provides an exceptional shuttle service. Find him on facebook where he post daily flow information from the pipe gauge on the North Fork.

Attachments

#11 ·
This was a large storm for October and river levels are high for this time of year. It is not typical to have some of these runs "in" during October. The earliest trip I've run on the Illinois was on October 30, 2010. Normally November is the opening month for the Illy and Smith. The Illy is in right now and looks to hold nicely this week. This storm was something we would more typically see in mid-November and on through the winter.

Average peak flows for both the Illinois and Rogue occur around the first of the year. There is normally another large spike sometime in late winter / early spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.