Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2013   #11
-, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Has anyone on this board ever been stopped and checked for a permit when camped/hiking on river left?

Follow up, has anyone on this board ever been cited for not having a permit for the Navajo side? If so, what was the fine?

Old 12-05-2013   #12
colorado, Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
No I have not been checked when I have been down there. I was simply HONORING their request and paid the money. I have no idea what the fine would be. However will not need to know in the future because it will not be an issue.

Old 12-05-2013   #13
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Yes and no.....
our group was asked to show the camping permit while camped at Chinle in 2009. Not sure who it was or what auth they had as I was off 'hiking" at the time. We had the permit so I have no idea what the "penalty" might be.

Back to the OP for a sec.... to quote caspermike "Life is not Fair" - We have to deal with BS all the time in life, so you were out $180 for half a year.... in the big scheme of things, big deal. Sure it pissed you off, life pisses people off all the time. But you got to see the SJ and hopefully some cool stuff. Maybe you'll go back there someday, maybe you won't.
more snow = more water
Old 12-05-2013   #14
-, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994

Thanks Oarframe. Anyone else have experience with this?
Old 12-05-2013   #15
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
We hike in to look at Desecration Wall on almost every trip. Never had a permit, never had a problem. It never seemed that the camping was any better on that side so we never bother with a reservation permit.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
Old 12-05-2013   #16
Yea Oarframe, I know you are right life is not fair, but you do what you can to make it right.

My initial intent was not to get into some stupid discussion like what Casper mike was trying to do, but instead let people know that , if you buy a permit from the Navajo Nation, don't expect a refund or anything like it REGARDLESS of what they tell you . I guess you just cant believe what they tell you is what I am saying. Too bad that is the case.

Anyway, I saw plenty of cool stuff, on the BLM side of the river as well as one day of a short hike on the Navajo side that I gladly paid for upfront without hesitation.
Old 12-05-2013   #17
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
In all honesty, it sounds to me like the Navajo Nation treated you better than any other permit issuing land management agency around. Just try to get a refund from NPS, BLM, USFS, ect. for any kind of permit that you don't use. That includes river trips, hiking trips, campsites, firewood, ect.

You should be delighted that they gave you the privilege of visiting their land and then kept their word about the refund.

I am actually baffled at why they would refund any money at all. After all, how does anyone prove that they didn't camp on river left after the fact. Do you really expect them to refund every party that calls up after their trip and says "Oh ya, we actually didn't camp on your side. Give me my money back?"

Also, the fourth paragraph of your original response expresses some very clearly racist attitudes. I can guess how your attitude was during whatever communications you had with their office, and that is never helpful when navigating through a bureaucracy.
Old 12-05-2013   #18
Still waiting on Casper Mike to tell me why I should have NOT told the rest of the party to expect refunds if we did not use the permits, aka, "step foot on the land" if that is indeed what I was told by the permitting office. hmmmmm.

Since I am so evidently so damn ignorant and Casper Mike is so damn intelligent, I am still waiting on the explanation and the logic of why that was wrong and I should expect something different............
Old 12-05-2013   #19
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Hey beetle,

my questions for you is: "who told you that the Navajo would repay you" and "Did they say it would be easy?"

Cuz, I'd be pissed at the people who told you that the refund would be easy! That's what I'm thinking.

IMHO, these permits are like fishing permits, you buy them and if you choose not to use them then that is your choice. I would never expect to get my money back if I chose not you use them or left my fishing pole in the truck. There is no way for the Navajo to know if you used them or not! Its only your word and I'd give them credit for trusting you. Just saying.. You could have used them and we would never know if nobody saw you. Anyway, It just seems like poor planning on the part of the trip leader. Next time will be much better.
Old 12-05-2013   #20
it doesn't matter what makes sense, what matters is I took the ladies word at face value. I BELIEVED HER. Why?? was I supposed to argue the logic behind it? yea I know it makes no sense, but that is not a policy decision for me to make or decide on. How many government agencies always make sense one way or the other? I am sure this is not the only example

Closed Thread