MX Bike Safety from theft when setting shuttle? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2017   #1

Portland, Oregon
MX Bike Safety from theft when setting shuttle?

I recently had my truck broken into at a take out, and as I have the back set up for camping, I had a fair bit stolen. It has made me very paranoid of quiet river areas. However, I want to jump back in, and was thinking of buying a cheap MX bike to help set shuttles, among other fun things.

How do you protect your bikes from being hauled away? Massive cables around a tree? Kill Switches? Hiding it with Camo? Everything you can afford, carry and throw at it?

Obviously nothing will protect from a determined thief (so insurance is a must), but as my truck break in shows, it's more often an opportunistic smash and grab.

English-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2017   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It's usually safer to leave things in plain sight, and if possible where plenty of other people can see it. The rational being that, if it's hidden, the thief believes no one else can see what they are up to, but if there are plenty of people around, the chance of getting caught is higher.

Sorry you got ripped off, stealing outdoor gear is it's own level of low, and earns some pretty bad Karma.
Old 07-12-2017   #3

Blue River, Colorado
Bummer about your break in / theft experience. I have been reading threads on the buzz about locking a raft. I was set on buying a cable to lock my boats to the trailer when they are stored on my property, and then researching cables I got reading that cables are worthless against a simple cable cutter. I am now considering the heavy duty chains like the Kryptonite NY Forgetaboutit or a homemade heavy gauge security chain. Nothing will stop a determined thief, but it's the easy opportunistic thefts we are trying to thwart.
cdcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2017   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Locking a frame and or raft with a cable at least makes a thief spend an extra minute making noise.
Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote