Old 06-16-2016   #51
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Now that's funny. Someone had way too much time on their hands.

Weeks later, Once I figured out that Mr. T Hart and a little something to do with it I was able to procure his false teeth whilst sleeping and I put them in my bobcat mount so the cat had pretty human smile. Took a pic and made a Birthday card with the pic that the read happy b-day from an Idaho bobcat. The look on his face was priceless when we pointed out his teeth..

The saga continues.

dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016   #52
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
So long as you don't return to your raft to find your groover full of someone else's.....deposits

If the Ruby Horsetheif story went down as the OP told it, then that's a shame.

Once on the Main Salmon, we arrived at our reserved camp to find squatters living there. Our permit holder/TL asked to see their permit (which they claimed was legit) and it was obvious that they had changed the printed info with a pencil. Not even a good fake job. It was late afternoon, but instead of fighting with them, we moved on, but only after writing down their permit #. As we pulled away from that camp, we noticed a bear heading along the shore....straight for their camp. What they didn't know was that our TL was a river ranger on the MFS at the time, so he made sure they were reported and their permit holder dinged for the offense. We had a wonderful evening in another camp.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016   #53
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Ruby Horsethief is a very different river corridor than MFS. Every site is full every weekend over the summer. Every campable spot has been designated by the BLM. Camping in an undesignated spot is now allowed. The new permit system works well when everyone plays along. Stories like the OPs make me nervous when I have a group of 25 going down over July 4th. It will be what it is. I hope to see all you cool people down there!

Sent from this thingy using Mountain Buzz
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016   #54
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
So you run a river with an assigned camp system, take an assigned camp but don't use it, and stealth camp where there isn't actually a legitimate camp? That's Awesome.
It's 2016 Theres no such thing as a stealth camp on the Mfs. And yes I take assigned camps that no one picks that day and camp somewhere else. I like a little freedom on the river. What a crazy concept.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016   #55
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I too do this on the MFS. They make you take a river camp and pay the $5 daily fee even if you tell them you'll be at a camp somewhere else outside of the FS fee area. Sucks! That why you say just give me 4 camps and be done with it. Last time I tied up at indian and hiked into kwiskwis for two nights. I've camp way up loon creek and at the hotspring up pistol creek. Once you leave the river corridor your a hiker as if you dropped in from a trail head. Hell, I have even hiked down to trail creek for a couple days before launch. I would encourage side hike if your'e in the MFS and want something new..
You keep talking about this $5 fee... Are you talking about the permit fee that you pay ahead of time or something else you pay when you reserve your spots at the time of launch?

goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote