Old 05-06-2015   #11
Montrose, Colorado
Originally Posted by fourtyfloater View Post
If you have 2 nights consider starting at Pleasure Park up river from Delta and floating to Whitewater or to Bridgeport. There are a few minor petroglyphs part way down from PP on river right. Much better ones up Big Dominguez Canynon just past the waterfall. Several ones are off to the right up on the cliffs. The waterfall is a few mile hike and is off the trail on your left, not marked but you should be able to hear it. I am out of town this weekend or I would run shuttle for you.
There's a BLM campsite on river right about a day's float from Pleasure Park. After you pass under the Hwy 65 bridge (highway to Cedaredge), it's about a 1/2 mile down on the right. Last time I was there it had a fiberglass post marking it as a "campsite." The post is above the highwater mark, so you have to keep your eyes up a bit. Other than this short piece of BLM, pretty much everything between the Austin bridge and Delta is private, so this is the only public camping opportunity in that section.

A short float below the BLM camp you will encounter the Hartland Dam. It used to be a deadly feature, but a few years ago a boat/fish passage was constructed on river left. The boat passage is in the middle channel on river left. It's kind of a sporty drop -- Class II/III depending on flows.

efranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015   #12
Western Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
My 13 ft needs above 950 but a guy told me his 13 ft cat needs 1300. Bet you could do mini me or max at around 700. Depends on how much beer you need! Cool and raining here so expect flows to rise a bit. There is a put in/take out at Hotchkiss just north of the fairgrounds. It is on your right just after you float under the hwy 92 bridge. There is a railroad overpass a bit before that. The city has large boulders blocking you from backing trailers all the way to the river so means extra work to put in or take out here. But you could stop and eat. You could hike across the highway to Zach's BBQ for lunch but no other hiking opportunities until you get to confluence with the Gunnison. The Hotchkiss fish hatchery is down stream a bit and I know there used to be self guided tours there. On google earth the hatchery has a white fabric roof that is partially torn off, located just south of small town of Lazear. You might find a bank to tie off to but would call them first.

fourtyfloater is offline   Reply With Quote