Old 11-13-2015   #11
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Another article about it
Major Northern Colorado tourism projects get green light - Loveland Reporter-Herald

On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015   #12
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975

yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015   #13
Sure, but it'll be fun to have if/when it comes together. For better or worse, most large developments get public money, and developers aren't in the business for altruistic reasons. They want to make money.

If you look at the sources of funds on the PDF this is primarily a private funded venture. The public money bridges the funding gap, but those developers definitely have some skin in the game. Almost $10MM in their own money and $40MM in private debt. Those lenders are going to require personal guarantees. If the project fails the developers will be on the hook for a serious chunk of change.

Also, the Reporter-Herald article says it will have Class 1-6 rapids. I'm guessing they are going to throw a couple sieves, undercut caves, strainers, and keeper holes in there to create the Class 6 artificial rapids.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015   #14
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Oh, man. IMHO:
Regarding the "US Whitewater Adventure Center": Pay to play. This might not be the best thing for Poudre rafting companies. A benefit might be to cut down on heavy traffic in the canyon on the weekends.
If the 2,200 foot course is designed to Olympic standards, it would be nice if the facility were to include the training and development of athletes in the sport. (No mention of that in any article that I have read.)
I-25. ugh.
Disney. Ugh.
Film center sounds like an interesting project for Estes Park...
Water follows money?

sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015   #15
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I won't hold my breath until it's done. If it does get completed it will be very, very expensive I'm sure to utilize, the McWhinneys are definitely trying to make a fortune off of the entire I-25/Hwy 34 Corridor.

I hope it's not just another crappy enterprise making it even harder to get in and out of town, but I won't hold my breath.
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015   #16
I'm hoping for prices similar to USNWC and the one opening in Oklahoma. Season pass relatively cheap, but soak the day users (still cheaper than a day on the river though, if you're paying a raft company).
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015   #17
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
So does this thing have a raft elevator/locke system- or do you hoof it back to the top?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote