Old 10-31-2013   #1
bum, Colorado
Living in Idaho Falls

Anyone out there living or have lived in Idaho Falls? How is it? I'm interviewing for a job there. Any info would be great!

ntibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #2
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Population is about 50% Mormon. Really limits dating for singles.

The town is clean, light traffic and generally affordable.

the paddling community seems weak, Pocatello is much better.

lots of engineers and nuclear industry types.

overall good outdoor access within 1-2 hours. not great in 30 minutes

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #3
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Mormons everywhere, even more so than in Utah. Otherwise, its pretty sweet, especially if you're into trout fishing. Good whitewater options within reasonable distance. Snake River, Grey's River, Fall's River, Black Canyon of the Bear River, Mesa Falls, Bitch Creek and Gros Ventre River all within two hours drive. Central Idaho and Payette system is not much further.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #4
StGeorge, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
Yeah don't move there, the Mormons will have you converted and living a life so full of joy and happiness that you won't even miss boating on Sundays. Sounds terrible to me! Not really though.
Dustin Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #5
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
If there was the perfect whitewater town but half the adults insisted on believing in Santa I think I still might go for it. if they wanted to behead you for not believing in santa I would stay the heck out. I am sure there is some discrimination towards non-mormons but certainly nothing to worry about. try to get a feel for this during your job-interview especially.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #6
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Grew up there. I wouldn't say there was discrimination towards non-Mormons, but it limited the social opportunities. Has semi-close access to some of the more beautiful places on earth - Tetons, Central Idaho, Yellowstone. Always seemed easy to get away from people.
Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #7
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post

Pocatello is much better.
O-man that aint saying much now is it?

I lived in Pokie for a couple years. The Portneuf was the first river I ever kayaked. We put in near Lava hot springs and floated cow pastures. ISU pool is where I learned to roll. back in the day; the Elk in the zoo were the best part of town!

PS: I disagree with limited social opportunities. every girl it meet wanted to "save my sole" just play along and you'll have a great time!
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #8
Grand Junction, Colorado
I don't really know too much about Idaho Falls, but I will say that pretty much every time I drive through the section of I-15 between Pocatello and Idaho Falls, it seems like the wind is always blowing snow across the road in Idaho Falls and Pocatello is usually dry, less windy, and a bit warmer. I think the access to good skiing would be better in Idaho Falls. After you drive north from Pocatello, the landscape opens up and it the wind cuts into you. To put in perspective, I thought the winter was fairly mild in Helena, Montana. When I would head south toward Idaho Falls, it always felt bitterly cold because of the wind.
When we quit believing in our corrupt political system, it will finally fall apart. REVOLUTION!!!
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #9
pocatello, Idaho
I.F. has good access to Jackson and Taghee for skiing but the local hill is not great. Pebble Creek out of Pocatello is a much better local hill.

I too took ISU kayak classes and later taught there.

Pocatello river access is basically an hour longer drive for everything. But Pocatello is in a valley and is protected from the wind and has about a 2 week extension on both ends of the growing season for gardens and such over I.F.
I.F. is windy but not crazy cold. go 20 more mile north and it drops temps 10 more degrees and wind up 20mph higher.

Overall the Mormon factor isn't that big of a deal. I have been in and out of the club. No noticeable difference to me. Though I am clean cut and thus people assume I am Mormon.

Overall if the job is good and the pay is decent it is a great town for the outdoors.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #10
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Wind in SE Idaho? Surely you jest.

flya - is it true you have to get stomped out?

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote