Little Yampa Canyon canoe trip. Mid June. - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Little Yampa Canyon canoe trip. Mid June.

Hello boaters,
We are planning a canoe trip for mid June on the Yampa from Craig on down. We will have 3 canoes, 6 adults, one 6 yo child and a small dog. I'd love to hear anyone's experiences on this stretch. Any info on put in, take out and camping would be greatly appreciated. Right now (May 19th 2017) the river is flowing at 4200 cfs. What is the good discharge range for canoes on that stretch? The canoeists experience is varied. We will have one child and a dog. Also is the fishing worthwhile on this section? And if there is an outfitter in the area that will shuttle vehicles for a fee to the take out I would love that info as well. As far as the take out goes is it worth it to float all the way down to Juniper Hot Springs? And are the hot springs open nowadays?

Thanks in advance for your information.

canoedog87c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Craig, Colorado
It will be down to a very canoeable level by that point. Put in and take out will have lots of mosquitos (camps will probably be fine). Camps are generally overgrown a bit, but manageable. Not a lot of great fish structure on this stretch, but you'll find a few small mouth bass, pike, and catfish. The float from Duffy to Juniper is very mosquito infested. The Hot Springs are closed.
Fishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I floated that at flood stage once and it was all flat water until getting to Juniper Canyon. Juniper is a real rapid and you may be able to portage it or take out not far above it at a CPW access point there. It's very pleasant, rolling countryside; there's a lot of private land there so get a land ownership map so you can camp on public land.

Enjoy!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Thanks for the info. We're also considering the stretch of the White river from the Bonanza bridge to the Enron takeout. I would appreciate any information anyone has on that section as well.
Thanks.
canoedog87c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I floated a small stretch of that a few years ago in August at about 400 cfs. We just did one night on the river and put in and took out above Duffy tunnel. Camped on a sandy spit within the canyon. The canyon itself is beautiful. We fished and caught a LOT of smallmouth--some on flies, some spin casting, and a few rainbow (surprisingly).
boatbjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I would recommend taking out above Juniper Canyon, two years ago it did not look possible to portage the diversion safely, and it would be to much for the six year old
( also more then I would be comfortable running in a canoe, but that's me).

Both of those stretches are beautiful, the white would be more lively, and there are a number of strainers. The White will tend to have less obvious and accessible camp sites, plenty of Russian olive, so careful tying off!! I have heard some of the most bird songs ever on a trip, running little yampa.

River Runners out of Vernal does shuttles on the White, I'm not sure about Yampa shuttles.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Donkey Town, Colorado
Friends of yampa and the Dow are supposed to be replacing the private/public signs and doing some work on campsites, believe it was supposed to be this weekend but it's dumping snow. 😀💦

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Pieter Porcupine

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I visited Juniper Hot Springs two years ago after floating Gates of Lodore. It was open/did not have any posted signs.
Old 5 Days Ago   #9

Hey there!

Unfortunately, the Friends of the Yampa volunteer float was canceled due to weather...was pretty snowy and cold here at the end of the week. But a few of us did get out with the Yampa River State Parks rangers on a jet boat on Saturday to do a survey of the campsites and get a feel for what is going on there now. FotY is putting together an online guide that will be posted on our website (Friends of the Yampa Steamboat Springs, Colorado) eventually, but we are only just now digging into this. And with the Yampa River Festival coming up on June 3rd, we probably won't get back into the canyon before then. But I do have some information that may be helpful:
  • As mentioned previously, there is a lot of private land on this stretch and the public BLM sites are not currently well marked. The LYC is designated as a Special Recreation Management Area which is different than most other BLM land. This means that camping is only allowed on designated sites, and you can't just camp anywhere on public land. That said, it is not easy to find the designated sites. Only a few of them are marked with brown carsonite markers.
  • There are a few mile markers up but they are not right, so don't rely on that mileage to get your bearings.
  • There are a few visible markers that might help you stay off private land. RED markers indicate private land and BLUE markers are BLM, but the blue markers are no where near the camp sites. Go figure.
  • You will see cattle in a couple of the campsites. They are not supposed to be in there this time of year, but they are. The State Parks guys are going to talk with the BLM to try to do something about this, but who knows.
  • You do need a firepan and groover to camp here.
  • The Juniper ramp is pretty rough (especially if it's muddy), but usable, and is above the diversion so you can take out before the rapid. Trailered rigs will need a pretty burly truck for this ramp.
  • The hot springs are closed again, due to vandalism. I believe there is someone there though, and you may be able to get the key. I have never soaked there but have heard they are warm springs, not hot springs, so it may not be worth it.
As far as camps go:
  • #1 is on river left, about 7.3 miles from the South Beach put-in. It's a small grassy bank with some shade with a decent landing. Would be good for a small group. Visible marker.
  • The locations of #2 & #3 are not verifiable, so we are not directing people to these sites until we can sort this out
  • Between #3 and #4 is all private land
  • #4 is a river right camp at 14.5 miles. Big group site, wide open, good shade, easy landing, and lots of cows. No marker.
  • Just downstream on river left is #5, a nice open camp, no cows, nice landing, shade. 14.9 miles, no marker.
  • #6 is on river left. Nice camp with cottonwoods for shade, large group camp. Also accessible by road. Don't have the mileage on this one, but look for a grassy bench type camp. I don't recall if you can see the road from the river, but you'll see it once you land.
  • #7 is on river left. Steep bank with a few gentle spots for landing. Small group camp with shade. Possible hike/scramble? Clump of boxelders on bank for landmark. No marker.
  • #8 river left. Small camp on the outside of the bend just past a small island. Probably better for canoes than rafts.
  • #9 unsure
  • #10 river right. Could be a really sweet camp with a little love. Take a machete or an axe and do a little cleanup because it's overgrown with weeds and shrubs. Easy landing on the bend past the 1st group of trees. Shade or sun, possible hike/scramble. I don't have the mileage for this one but I'll update later.
  • #11 is river right just upstream of the Duffy Mtn takeout on the opposite side of the river. Look for grassy area with trees upstream of a fence line. Wide open, lots of sun, and dead tamarisk for a landmark. Land past the log jam, watch for barbed wire.
Sorry I don't have mile markers on all of them. We visited some out of order. Once I download my GPS info, I'll update the list with miles. In the meantime, if you want coordinates for any of them, let me know. We hope to have a more descriptive guide in the near future, but this is just a bit of info taken from my notes. Hope it is helpful!
holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #10

OK...camps with some updated mileage from the South Beach put-in. Approximate, but should get you there.

• #1 is on river left, about 7.3 miles from the South Beach put-in. It's a small grassy bank with some shade with a decent landing. Would be good for a small group. Visible marker.
  • The locations of #2 & #3 are not verifiable, so we are not directing people to these sites until we can sort this out
  • Between #3 and #4 is all private land
  • #4 is a river right camp at 14.5 miles. Big group site, wide open, good shade, easy landing, and lots of cows. No marker.
  • Just downstream on river left is #5, a nice open camp, no cows, nice landing, shade. 14.9 miles, no marker.
  • #6 is on river left. 16.4 miles. Nice camp with cottonwoods for shade, large group camp. Also accessible by road. Look for a grassy bench type camp. I don't recall if you can see the road from the river, but you'll see it once you land.
  • #7 is on river left. 19.8 miles. Steep bank with a few gentle spots for landing. Small group camp with shade. Possible hike/scramble? Clump of boxelders on bank for landmark. No marker.
  • #8 river left. 23.4 miles, marked with post. Small camp on the outside of the bend just past a small island. Probably better for canoes than rafts.
  • #9 unsure
  • #10 river right. 25.5 miles. Could be a really sweet camp with a little love. Take a machete or an axe and do a little cleanup because it's overgrown with weeds and shrubs. Easy landing on the bend past the 1st group of trees. Shade or sun, possible hike/scramble.
  • #11 is river right just upstream of the Duffy Mtn takeout on the opposite side of the river. 30.4 miles. Look for grassy area with trees upstream of a fence line. Wide open, lots of sun, and dead tamarisk for a landmark. Land past the log jam, watch for barbed wire.
holley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canoe, little yampa canyon