Old 03-10-2016   #11
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
Must be pretty damn difficult to turn back Ben and Chris.
It wasn't the whitewater, they were trying to float through a section of river that was contested between the national Myanmar army and one of the rebel Kachin groups in the area. The river itself was wide and lake smooth, but it floated through an area where some intense illegal jade mining was taking place, they almost got arrested because of it.

Well someone needs to go check Myanmar's travertine out and if it's legit set up some infrastructure and make some money off whitewater tourism....

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016   #12
There's been a handful of trips over there but there's still probably a lot to be explored. Dave Allardice put some trips together in the nineties under a tourism exploration permit. Pat O'kieffe has spent a fair bit of time and actually advertises commercial trips on a couple rivers. He is the person to talk to if you want to go. It is also on the radar of the Russian boating community which, in my experience, means everything has been run.

The main challenge with boating over there is that the government requires the accompaniment of a local guide at all times. A recent Nat Geo climbing expedition got past this regulation but the transitory nature of boating makes securing a permit much more difficult.

NateK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yeah that's what I was saying earlier.It may not be full on North Korea ,and some areas have been more or less opened up ,but alot of places are off limits and any conspicuous expedition is likely to invite scrutiny.Even in the more closed /repressive times some intrepid tourists were going there.At one time they tried to keep out budget travellers by mandating x amount of $ per day expenditure.Saying areas are off limits due to rebels may be legitimate sometimes ,but is also a convenient excuse to keep people out of areas of repression,extreme poverty/neglect,or where economic interests( probably multi-nationals or Chinese) are raping the environment.There may be a new gov with good intentions ,but I doubt the old guard power structure is completely defeated/eliminated,especially the monied interests.Maybe they can break this pattern.I hope so.

Nate ,so you think Russians may have explored alot there?Do you know of any sources of info they have compiled about their trips in Myanmar,Russia,or elsewhere?Reread your Bolivia TR...Nice...

I guess the pygmies I referred to were known to science from an expedition 30 years earlier,but noone knew anything about what had happened to them during that interval.When Rabinowitz inquired about them, in a remote village ,the locals brought them out of a back room!

also did not mean to imply there is whitewater in Yucatan,No.Bz,No.Peten,or coastal Tabasco,there isn't/too flat,however there is a lot more than you would expect in So.Peten and Toledo,Bz,and inland Tabasco,basically foothills transition zones .Chiapas and Alta Verapaz are well known for WW already..
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016   #14
Historically the Russians don't seem prone to excessive documentation. I've just stumbled over a couple videos and know that their whitewater exploration is incredibly prolific. Seems like nothing in Asia has really been out of their range. Hard saying for sure.

As for Russia/Central Asia there's a pretty cool guidebook by Vladimir Gavrilov.
NateK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks...hope they have some newer equipment ,though those bubliks handled some serious water!

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote