Killing the Colorado - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2016   #1

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Killing the Colorado

It's not a new topic. I just hope a broader audience will make a difference in water awareness. This special premiers Aug 4th on Discovery channel.

https://corporate.discovery.com/disc...-water-crisis/

**I claim no affiliation to the show.

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2016   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'll try to catch it.
Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #3

Did anyone else watch this? Curious what others thought.
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: Dawn
Also good reading - the series of articles that the doc was based on:

https://www.propublica.org/series/killing-the-colorado

Propublica is one of the few legit journalistic entities left in the US...
pepejohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #5
Total Newb

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
Did anyone else watch this? Curious what others thought.
I did, I enjoyed it. The big take away is don't store water in the desert!
ScottM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #6

Every aspect is important, but I felt like the only 2 storylines directly related to the CO river got a ton of air time. Crowley, CO selling their water rights was a good point, but not directly about the CO River. I think there are many storylines that didn't get air time.

But yea, desert storage is a dissipation mess. Let's take Trump's wall budget and build domes over Mead and Powell.
Old 08-18-2016   #7
Old Guy in a PFD

Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Schutzie watched the show and was disappointed. The message (don't store water in the desert) didn't offer much in the way of real world solutions.

Ironically, Schutzie became intimately familiar with a Swedish solution to limited water resource and demands on hydro power;
As it turns out, hydro dams are most efficient when they are run at full capacity, continuously. The problem of course is that running at full capacity requires a lot more water than is generally available.
The Swedes figured out a solution that is counter intuitive; in fact, Schutzie called a hearty BS when he first heard it.

Anyway, the solution is to pump the water back up, into the reservoir.
Really.
As explained to a very skeptical Schutzie; Hydro dams work best when they run at full capacity; limited water resource makes that impractical however. And, one cannot store the electrical power generated; it's a truly use or loose proposition.
However;
If one uses the excess electrical capacity to move the water back up into the reservoir, two things happen; the dam runs at peak efficiency and has a virtual unlimited supply of water to generate electricity, and the power generated is used, not lost.
And, (Schutzies secret reason to support the idea) rivers can run at near flood, always.
Imagine, Dolores water is pumped back up to McFee from somewhere around Gateway.
Imagine; Colorado water is pumped back into Powell from somewhere below Mead.
Or, pumped back into Powell from somewhere around Diamond Creek, and again from somewhere below Mead.
Hmmmmmm

Wall? What wall??!! We don't got no wall!! WE DON'T NEED NO STEENKIN WALL!!
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016   #8

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
kidding me again shutzie I see. In case you missed the memo, the core problem is long-term and significant decrease of annual inflows. The river systems you cite all are bound to snowfall for success or excess if you will. In AZ a pumpback as you describe has been in effect for decades but, it is in a Damn in the center of a chain of reservoirs that works with that centrist positioned buffer. Can you even start to comprehend the climate adjustment we are facing?
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016   #9

Hi Schutze,

And then there is that little problem of obtaining a right of way for the return pipelines, which would stretch across a vast stretch of reservation, wilderness, proposed wilderness, and other sundry land holdings...

My bet is that the system you are talking about pumps it right up from close to the bottom of the dam when power/flow balancing requirements are aligned.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016   #10
Herm

Jensen, Utah
Paddling Since: 1966
Unless you have a new scoop on physics, there is a net loos to use pump back systems; it was proposed for Storm king on the Hudson in the laTE 1950'S. tHE SOLUTION IS TO LIMIT GROWTH AND CHARGE APPROPRIATE FEES FOR WATER USAGE.
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote