Old 09-30-2014   #11
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Partner Steel 9" 2 Burner Folding Propane Stove

So the above stove is actually a two piece splitable stove, can use just one or both halves, bring both or just bring one. The bigger versions are very popular amongst buzzards. I have not used one but am thinking of springing for the two piece 4 burner for similar flexibility. Small 2 burner when space is limited or all 4 with a big group. They run of standard bulk propane connections, so the 4.5 lb cylinder would work well.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014   #12
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I would just get a jet boil. It's the best stove for kayaking, hiking, climbing any backcountry trip. They hardly use any fuel. I'm still using the large canister I bought over two years ago. It was on my GC self support and even is my car canping coffee maker. You can have a hot breakfast or dinner in just a few minutes. Try that with any of the other stoves.

coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014   #13
Marblemount, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Partner Steel two burner folding stove. Yuo can split the stove and just take half (one burner). That gives you one high output (10,000btu) burner. It worked great for me on a solo 8 day Middle Fork trip.
jeporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014   #14
Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1990
Maybe another option

Bottled propane is great we use it all the time - when we have a raft(s). That said we also use white gas stoves as back up. Seems to me that any number of one burner white gas stoves - DragonFly, WhisperLite, etc - might be a better option. Bring two (if you need one always bring two) stoves and bring multiple fuel bottles (still can cook if you "lose" one). You can find white gas most places - but you can burn other fuels in a pinch. No sharp edges. If you do have your mind set on reusable propane and single burner stove then I second the suggestions on the small partner. Good luck.
Alaskajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014   #15
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
If you decide that white gas would be acceptable, look into Primus. They make some great stoves and sometimes even show up on sierra trading post.
RiversRohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014   #16
Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Only examples of sources. Probably cheaper other places.

Coleman 1 Burner Stove : Coleman - PowerPack™ 1-Burner Stove

Adapter from Stove to regular propane tank : 4′ ft. Appliance Conversion Adapter LP Hose - FireDisc Grills®

5# refillable Propane tank : Manchester 5 Lb. 1.2 Gal.Tank Propane Cylinder (10054) - Gas Grill Parts - Ace Hardware
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #17
Cdale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Colorado Dave. Thanks! The PowerPack 1-Burner Stove with the hose looks like what I am looking for. I am a green sort of guy and hate the throw away green propane bottles. The question is whether if the stove or hose has a regulator!
rtwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #18
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've refilled the green bottles, but I understand folks hesitation. It seems a it of the worries could
Be eliminated with a sealing screw on cap. The only issue I've had with refilling is the occasional leaker and of course never really getting them as full as when new. Chilling the partial filled bottle and making sure the 20 you're filling from is warm helps with this.

Even a five lber is a lot to haul in a kayak.

(Seven two 0) 298-2242

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #19
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002

I use the Crux weekend He cook system for whitewater self-support, out performs MSR and most of all the others out there and bets best all of there prices. Also the Optimus gas last longer and burns hotter, little different cocktail than the rest. The Vega bellow I use when size is not that big of a deal, still very compact but holds pots and pans for malti people cooking witch think would suit your needs better. Check it out, if you need more info feel free to call the shop, 970-668-9294.

Products - Optimus

Keep the Hairy Side Up....

TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #20
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Forgot, no gas bottle...

Sorry, this was also the no-gas tank, refill tank was going to mention. Has a quick priming burner with a built-in magnetic cleaning needle. Supper user friendly and easy control valve...

Products - Optimus

TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote