Old 07-09-2015   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996

So there I was, in the Vallecito parking lot. Due to the recent rain the ground was muddy, so I carefully placed my kayak on the best gravel spot I could find. It was a nice day out so I expected other boaters to be around. What I did not expect was the blatant disrespect shown by one "Tony M" as he MOVED MY KAYAK aside to unload his boat. Now I assume he was just flexing his arm for the tourists in the parking lot, but that does not make this intentional act any less hurtful.

Had this incident ended there, I would not be writing this. Not more that a half hour later (I am a hiking stud), I was cruising down the creek above a certain rapid called Fuzzy Bunny. I am just a recreational paddler, so I don't really like catching eddies. Lo and behold, who pulls out in front of me but the same "Tony M." As I sat there aghast, he then proceeded to clap his hands while running the waterfall, as if to rub it in my face (see photo).

Fortunately, after a good cry, I was able to channel my inner strength gained from years as a professional raft guide, and slicked off that boof followed by several more. Upon returning to town, I headed straight to 4CRS to complain. Unfortunately, upon explaining what had occurred, the staff was completely unhelpful. They responded "he's our boss, what do you want us to do?" and "Dude, relax, he only has one hand."

Clearly, the next step is to alert the authorities: the Sheriff, the Forest Service, maybe a letter to my Congressman. Please give me come guidance on my next steps. Thank you for your support during this difficult time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad Tony.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	10250  

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Ha ha! Nice one. Great hand clap off the boof shot.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'd sue for defamation of character or something else, if he owns a kayak shop he should have deep pockets
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #4
C. Springs, Colorado
If you would just carry a gun in your first aid kit.......this whole scene could be avoided. Just saying...
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #5
Steamboat, Colorado
You're probably not usually the guy who likes to call people out...
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #6
Donkey Punch
Southwest, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I don't think he was clapping, I mean, that was a pretty narrow shoot. You wouldn't want to loose an arm! Just brush it off jmack, and maybe just remove his drain plug next time...
dfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Hey, I recognize that guy. A few years back I was showing off some of my latest freestyle moves in Tunnel for a big crowd that had gathered to watch me run the Gore Race. That a-hole just bombs in on me and knocks me out right when I was going to throw my biggest scoring trick. Looks like some people never change.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #8
Donkey Punch
Southwest, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
When your stuck side surfing (unintentionally), and someone helps you out by knocking you off Tunnel so as to not making a bigger fool of yourself, you should say, "hey, thanks, that was kinda embarrassing, thank god that guy got me out of that situation".
Although I do like side surfing and twirling my paddle like a baton!
dfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #9
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Keep Calm and Kayak On

You are acting like "Tony" broke your kayak and caused you to get into a life threatening accident. The only thing he really broke was your ego. Next time ask him politely not to move your boat. Maybe he accidentally cut you off in the river which isn't the nicest thing but hey you never know maybe he picked the wrong line. I would not make this out be a big deal with any authorities. Just stay positive about the event and take it as a lesson to let go of resentment and understand you can only control your own actions not his.
Keep calm and Kayak On
kayaklifeislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #10
Paddling Since: 1994
The question is, did he yell fuzzy little bunny or fuzzy little buddy as he styled the boof?

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote