Old 07-09-2015   #31
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
I think the guys from 4CRS are cool dudes.

Keep calm and Kayak On
kayaklifeislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #32
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That reminds me, Kent Ford still around? Haven't seen him in ages. Also, I thought Gary Skiba moved down there.

Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #33
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
So there I was, in the Vallecito parking lot. Due to the recent rain the ground was muddy, so I carefully placed my kayak on the best gravel spot I could find. It was a nice day out so I expected other boaters to be around. What I did not expect was the blatant disrespect shown by one "Tony M" as he MOVED MY KAYAK aside to unload his boat. Now I assume he was just flexing his arm for the tourists in the parking lot, but that does not make this intentional act any less hurtful.

Had this incident ended there, I would not be writing this. Not more that a half hour later (I am a hiking stud), I was cruising down the creek above a certain rapid called Fuzzy Bunny. I am just a recreational paddler, so I don't really like catching eddies. Lo and behold, who pulls out in front of me but the same "Tony M." As I sat there aghast, he then proceeded to clap his hands while running the waterfall, as if to rub it in my face (see photo).

Fortunately, after a good cry, I was able to channel my inner strength gained from years as a professional raft guide, and slicked off that boof followed by several more. Upon returning to town, I headed straight to 4CRS to complain. Unfortunately, upon explaining what had occurred, the staff was completely unhelpful. They responded "he's our boss, what do you want us to do?" and "Dude, relax, he only has one hand."

Clearly, the next step is to alert the authorities: the Sheriff, the Forest Service, maybe a letter to my Congressman. Please give me come guidance on my next steps. Thank you for your support during this difficult time.

I didn't read all of the replies posted, but sorry ... you must be such a looser. In case you didn't know, 4CRS is kind of a big deal on this blue marble. They get a free pass. Granted you must be a hiking stud and raft guide and all ... so you do got that going for you. But, hey, at least you're complaining, right? Those guys at 4CRS surely know about the casual boater use etiquette of this trickle called Valliceto. I mean, after all, it's not the Baker's Box. I guess it's similar to that on the Hecla Junction boat ramp, right?. Hmmm ... What is the proper etiquette for a recreational private boater amidst the commercial traffic at Valliceto? Perhaps step aside cupcake? Tony just might learn you something. After all, he probably runs Valliceto twice a day, seven days a week, 364. Maybe he's supposed to fulfill a schedule that just doesn't afford you the pace that he has to keep. He's a bizness man, damn it. Watch and learn. It's all good. Heck, JMack.,he just might be so gracious as to help you out if you ever find yourself in need. By golly, I can only hope you could do the same for me if I were ever to achieve the honor of you showing a stick like me how Valliceto etiquette is properly staged on a busy day. I know nothing, so it may be nearly too challenging for a looser like me, though. But that is your point, isn't it! We want to play too! Yeah, that's it. Frankly, I'm with you now. You got be so worked up that I should call that lazy slow boater Corra dude to see what reigns he has on such the out of control, disrespectful, fall clapping, Meiley mister. And if he doesn't do something for you, then maybe I can escalate the rivalries to Corra's 3 second faster fIbark nemesis at the Principal's office. We've got rights, Jmack. Yeah, those guys are better than me at least, but we've got to fight for our right to party, bro. Or at least say excuse me, sorry, thank you, pardon me, may I get out of your way, make a great day, cheers, no worries! Did I mention cheers? And I bet you have. Remember, you're unique ... Just like everyone else. Throw down ... Get back up again.

Strong work!

More looser, Kenny V
No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #34
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Josh, I'm waiting for all your girlfriends to get in here and defend your honor.
This an outrage!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #35
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
JMack, I would never mess with you, on or off the river, I know who you really are...

I think they sell those big nasty grandma panties at Wal-Mart, isle 4
dbendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #36
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1800
Hmmm, sounds suspiciously like a bad case of testosterone poisoning. Sure, it would be more courteous to say "hey mind if I move your boat?", but it's not like anyone drove over your paddle on purpose or called you funny looking on your birthday. Lighten up, isn't it supposed to be about having fun?.....which I must say I am having tons of, just reading all the posts in this funny ass thread.
ranamafana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015   #37
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
WTF? The Ark thread is at over 8,000 views and still among the most active, this one is already dying. I did my guide course up on the San Miguel, and the Telluride guys told me you Durango guys got paid in dried beans. Certainly, you must have more gas left.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015   #38
Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
Best publicity stunt everrrrrrrr, brilliant marketing 4crs.
Remember what the door mouse said.......................feed your head.........feed your head
sammyphsyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015   #39
Originally Posted by sammyphsyco View Post
Best publicity stunt everrrrrrrr, brilliant marketing 4crs.

It sure is! I won't set foot on their property.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015   #40
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
I too have had such experiences with 4CRS. It wasn't but a week or 5 back that I was getting into my kayak at the very dangerous smelters whitewater park, near the Ponderosa keeper hole when I blindly peeled out of the eddy trying to go downstream. At that point I got sucked into the very dangerous recirculating hole to find not 2 seconds later one of the 4CRS employees also coming into said hole from above. This person should have seen me and given me right of way as I was immediately downstream, however they now were stuck in this absolutely terrifying situation with me. They had the nerve to let go of their paddle with one hand and make kind of a c gesture with their hand as if making fun of this terrifying situation we were in.
After somehow fortunately escaping this with my life, I was worried as I read in the local paper that this section of river is very dangerous and claims lives, I called 4CRS to complain. After incoherently yelling for a while at the person who answered the phone, he had the nerve to tell me I was at fault. I then asked to speak to the owner who listened well.

J Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote