Old 07-22-2013   #11
prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
^ this isn't really true.

I guess if you pack everything but the kitchen sink then it might be hard. my one person duck can take an overnights worth of supplies just fine...and its a small duck.

to the original poster, go for the Zoik. Theyre good boats, and as soon as I get back to America in 2015 I will be buying one!
not to argue (mama warned me about yetis ) , but when i think overnighters i usually think multi-day (4-6).

usually low water, early/late season, cold weather, have to carry your own water kind of trips.

also, keep in mind that high center of gravity boats tend to tip over easier and piling-high a heavy load usually doesn't help matters much.

not trying to hate here, just thought the original poster might want to consider looking for a 2 man before he drops some $$$$ on a one man.
most of my boating buds that only have one ducky, have a two man.
just a thought.

86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Thank you!

Thank you, everyone!

This is all so helpful! I am sorry I did not see the other thread on IK's... I will do some research here too.

When I posted I was thinking one boat for everything, day runs and overnights (1-4 nights), but from what has been posted here, I think I'll reconsider and get a one person ducky for day runs. I did more research and the Tomcat LV seems fun.

I am at heart a river runner who likes to play the river. So the play and technical aspect is important to me even on overnights: surfing, ferrying, splatting (yes I can manage that sometimes too!).

Someone mentioned the Down River. I demo'd a 2 person one on a recent Adventure Bound USA trip and overall I liked it, but it was too heavy for me to run the river more playfully and hard to manuever at times (although I managed to get where I wanted to go for the most part). I sat too low so I sat on the backrest/seat (?) to raise myself up more. It's a very sturdy, well-made and stable kayak. I infer it can really take a beating.

But a number of newbie paddlers paddling tandem on the trip flipped them and got stuck on/between rocks; so, just a friendly FYI to anyone reading this without experience: please be aware that although IKs can be more forgiving than hardshell kayaks, you still need experience, technique, and river reading skills.

Thanks again, everyone!

amatula15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #13
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I did alot of research before I bought my first IK about 6 years ago and here is my input after logging about 1,000 river miles. Dollar for dollar, and mucho versatility you cannot beat a tributary tomcat. I have a single with footpegs and thighstraps to do technical, rocky, narrow class III and IV; and I have a tandem that can haul 3 people on big waves like the colorado. What makes the single so great is you can put plenty enough gear for overnight trips or you can also move the adjustable seat and put a second seat way in front and carry a small person or your dog. I has a 320 lb. rating and nice big 11in. baffles which makes this boat very stable in really rough water. Price wise nobody can touch this boat for the quality and do extreme class III (taylor,crystal, and shoshone) with no problem. Get you one!
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980

Ok here is my $.02.

I have never paddled the Zoik IK.

I have paddled the Aire lynk, and force IK's. The Sotar solo IK on clear creek, ark, colorado, platte, roaring fork.

Given that Zoik's description of the boat emphasizes it 's flat water capabilities.

Given that there are lots class III ducky frendly runs in colorado.

I would suggest you look at a whitewater IK. You will still have ability do overnights. You will give up little in flat water river performance, and you will have significant whitewater performance gains.

I feel tigh straps and footpegs are important for running whitewater.

In my experience finding a quality used IK's is possible but they can be difficult to find.

I would suggest you consider thr NRS, Aire, Sotar, and the Star IK's.

IK's are a ton of fun in class III whitewater.

Hope that helps.

shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #15
Eastern Slope, Colorado

If I bought a 1 person IK and wanted to self support with it I would get this one. It's sweet to see NRS bringing back the old Riken designs!

For a 2 person I'd probably stick with Aire and buy it new for the warranty.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #16
Total Newb
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Zoik and sotar

You won't be happy with the Alter Ego for III+ runs. It won't drain fast enough between rapids.

I have a Zoik RF and love it and so did my wife, so I gave it to her and bought a Sotar, which is incredibly bomb proof. I mean that thing can't be harmed and believe me, I've been trying!

If you back pack at all, then you will find it very easy to load up a 1 man for multi day trips, including the Zoik.

Have fun!
ScottM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Considering that the Seminole costs a little more and has absurd rocker (20 "!) and the old school seam where side tube meets rockered end instead of continuous curve, I would definitely go with a Lynx....that said I paddled a Riken Cherokee once and liked it ok...why to people keep saying you need a two man for Multi -day trips? How much stuff you got? You can EASILY carry everything you need for three day trip in a one man /person Lynx and handle class IV......sacrifice beer and go ultralite backpacker style you can probably double that...

I take it this Pennel Orca or Penile Okra has replaced Hypalon....any improvement? grabby as hypalon?
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #18
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
why to people keep saying you need a two man for Multi -day trips? How much stuff you got? You can EASILY carry everything you need for three day trip in a one man /person Lynx and handle class IV......sacrifice beer and go ultralite backpacker style you can probably double that...
Exactly! If you are buying the duck for the sole purpose of going on a 5 day overnighter, then yeah, get the divorce boat.

but living in CO, I am going to guess that most people who buy a ducky here will use it for more than just that 5 nighter. Ergo, you need a single man boat for our low volume, technical rivers.

a giant duck that can carry a C-130's worth of supplies might be attractive for a multi-day trip, but I certainly wouldnt want to take a huge two-person tributary down Foxton at 250 cfs. and with the original poster living in Denver, I think winding up on Foxton @ 250 is going to happen a LOT more than those 6 days overnighters.

but, JMHO, YMMV.
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #19
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
250 is way low on Foxton ..285 is my bare minimum..seem to get 327 alot,hard to get to ojazzed about it...but I get your illustrate that point :a guy I know who paddles a two man Lynx and does much harder suff than most duckiers Bailey, Clear crk. of theArk, Royal Gorge too high for commercial rafting., for example.He was leading a CWA group of newbies through the boulder garden on Foxton.He managed to somehow bridge pin that 13 ft. boat in there and was all can paddle the two man solo and even creek some but it is a tank not suitable for some runs...
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #20
Eastern Slope, Colorado
You might also look at inflatable canoes if your main intention is overnighters. Backpacking gear fits great in a one person - especially if it's light and simple - but a groover can take up a lot of space in a solo boat out for a week. With a canoe you could have more of a traditional river camp, even with 2 people.

The Aire Traveler is at the top of my list and I can't wait to get one and day trip technical whitewater with it too!

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote