Old 01-10-2016   #11
Puerto Varas, CHILE
Paddling Since: 1998
Do you think you can use a sabertooth for comercial runs with up to 3 customers and 1 guide?

kokayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016   #12
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Ask your insurance company. I have seen commercials run aire Pumas and hyside minimaxes, Avon scouts, or other small 11 to 12 footers

FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016   #13
Puerto Varas, CHILE
Hey thanks
My main concern is to know if 3 people + guide fit in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 01-11-2016   #14
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by kokayak View Post
Hey thanks
My main concern is to know if 3 people + guide fit in the boat.

4 is too many for the Sabertooth. 3 works. For 4 I'd recommend a 12 foot raft.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016   #15
Puerto Varas, CHILE
Thanks for the info

Old 01-11-2016   #16
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Jacks plastic builds a paddle cat designed for paddle guiding several people, Culebra grande. Should at least check it out on his website. Am A big fan of my regular culebra, little funky bracing your feet in though. Row mine a lot, one big advantage is you can remove the thwarts, and use drop rails for lots of gear space, I self support comfortably for 5 days out of mine. Also look at his explanation of why he thinks the culebra and sabertooth are superior paddle cat designs.

Small cat's are just so dam fun!!
I am surprised I don't flip going into stuff, they seem to handle a lot more then you would think.
" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016   #17
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
The Sabretooth is a sweet looking boat, and I'm sure it handles well but it is so heavy! I have a Culebra.

Pros: So light. I can put it on my head or back and carry it for miles. I can take it to Alaska, Europe, or Turkey as normal luggage--I have. I can fly it into the Middle Flathead and it carries two people for its 44lbs. I think the high thwarts let it slice through holes and over waves better. It is remarkably stable for such a little boat. It takes a simple four pipe raft frame and rows great with 8'ers but I haven't taken it through more than IV+ that way...

Cons: There is no really good way to lock yourself while paddling. It's a cat, so running waterfalls is a no no. Trust me, you want a round boat for that. Its a cat so it doesn't carry much weight so if you're fat or want to row the kitchen sink look elsewhere.

These cons are what led me to purchase a Super Puma and I love it.

The Sabretooth would let you lock in if you buy the extra thwart. It is still a cat so you're still gonna get hosed if you try to run falls and it won't carry the gear my Super Puma will. It will be twice as heavy and twice as a big rolled up as my Culebra.

Good luck.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016   #18
Steamboat, Colorado

Heavy? You guys are sissies. The fuggin thing weighs 80lbs! Perfect for two people to carry when it's inflated. The handle placement on the boat is perfect as well, makes carrying it a breeze. I could see it being lighter so that one person could carry it while it's deflated, but honestly it'd be too cumbersome to carry it alone while it's inflated regardless of the weight. I can also see it being lighter for international trips or packin it on a plane, if you do that sorta stuff a lot...
I personally loved the Sabertooth. It handled well, turned on a dime, stayed high in the water. I like the floor they've got in it too, nice sorta "catch-all".
Capacity wise, we packed all three kids in the Sabertooth with us- so 3 littles and 2 adults, but we were the only ones paddling. I would think it would handle some pretty crazy shit with four people paddling, granted you didn't have any additional cargo, but two paddlers is definitely best.
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016   #19
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Shit, I used to solo press and carry 14' e series up steep root riddled muddy slopes everyday for a living. A sabertooth isn't an over built DIB monstrosity, but that's not the point these guys were trying to make. All the other paddle cats on the market are basically shredder copies, similar shape, size, and weight. I applaud aire for trying to design their own paddle cat, and it's an awesome machine, but it's quite a bit different from the other shredders. It's more of a two person minimum boat where the shredder style boats are famously awesome R1 machines. I've always said if you can't carry it yourself you shouldn't be floating it by yourself, but I boat a lot with hard shellers and try to not hold things up or ask for extra hands with my cat.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016   #20
Cave Creek, Arizona
I have seen a few videos of people who R1 the Sabertooth. I only got to paddle one for a short period on the last little bit of Bighorn Sheep Canyon. It really is an awesome boat.

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote