9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
You can't fix stupid.

SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #32
other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Stupidity, when left untreated, is self correcting.

Team Esquif
Smurfwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #33
Paddling Since: 96
Uninformed is not stupid. We can educate people about PFDs. We can also teach folks about compassion. It might be harder but the lack of it is also not an indicator of stupidity but lack of education.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #34
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I was pleased last summer to see a stretch of the North Platte River at the upstream city limits of Guernsey, WY has signage about proper tubing, and has a shed with a stock of Mae Wests for the locals to wear on their float, and them leave them at the take-out.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #35
Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Walgreen's sell innertubes

All the Walgreen's down here in Gr. Jct. have big innertube displays with big straw hats and little coolers for sale telling people to go enjoy the river. They aren't selling pfds. I think this contributes to the problem. Most people see those tubes and say "that's a great idea. let's go tubing." They don't know what a strainer is. I know of at least one riverside memorial in G,J, next to a strainer.
snakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #36
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Earlier, I said it is unfortunate but people won't learn from others mistakes. After not hearing a single firecracker over the Fourth of July, I'm beginning to beleive people CAN be educated.

(Please, no riverside memorials)
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #37
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster View Post
Crazy thing is a deputy showed up. I spoke with him saying I was about to call. This is a pfd river, there was underage drinkers, littering like crazy, and drunk drivers. He said is was trying to get troopers up there, and the rangers were coming. When I came down with my truck there was no sign of any law enforcement. Crazy. Towards the end I was just thinking I don't care maybe it would make an example. Crazy thing is even with that attitude I was still trying to help. Can't save the world.
what river were you on?
Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #38
Hundreds (maybe thousands) of tubers on Clear Creek in Golden on the 4th. Only PFDs I saw were a couple of kayakers and a few small kids.

Someone had put a rope with a couple of loops in one of the drops, I pointed it out to a cop that was walking by and explained how a rope in the water was very dangerous. He said there was no law against a rope in the water and walked away. I removed the rope.

Best way to deal with tubers in a low water year?
Buy a tube and enjoy the rio! Stay cool.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #39
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
I've been approached by Kayakers while tubing and told that I was probably going

die if I proceeded. It is pretty amazing how self rightous this group has become. And yet, when a kayaker passes the public thinks we are psycho idiots.

They've lost their child. They will have eternity to reflect on how they screwed up. They are in my prayers.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #40
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
What you don't know can get you killed.

We saw three young ladies last week floating into Waterton on tubes and gave them a heads up. I've done the same things as a younger person and they were grateful for the advice. Its often in how you present it to them. When people refuse to listen or do their own risk assesment in their mind and continue to drive on, I chalk it up to soul competency. Everyone has to paddle their own boat through life.

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote