Old 07-05-2012   #11
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
The same things happen every year on the Sandy and Clackamas in Oregon. Every year 4-8 people die from the same straight up stupidity you saw. It isn't good for anyone, but that is the way it goes.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Let me guess.... the mighty Weber River?

Folks have been drunk tubing that river for as long as I can remember. I'm not aware of statistics on injuries or problems down there, but it seems that this activity is fairly acceptable there and most folks don't seem to care(including law enforcement unless underagers are involved). I sure as hell wouldn't head there on a real boat and expect anything different. And I sure as hell wouldn't get worked up over it. As others have stated, "you got to thin the herd somehow". FWIW I also know real boaters that do know about safety that still go drunk tubing there in the late summer.

I agree that many would be better served to wear good pfds and use better quality tubes, maybe scale back the drinking a bit, but I also wouldn't expect anything to change and I sure as hell wouldn't let it ruin my day.

cprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #13
other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
I was there about an hour earlier.. total shit show. The root of the problem is that the drunk dudes are TUBING with their drunk hot tiny bikini wearing girlfiends and you pull up and instantly make the guys feel like dweebs for being a tubers. There's no way that the drunks will listen as its a challenge to their manhood to take instruction from anyone when they are busy trying hard to be macho. It was funny to see some kayakers pull up who actually fit in well with that crowd.
Team Esquif
Smurfwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #14
I was sort of stoked the local run was packed with tubers. I found floating free 3 Heinekin's, a Budweiser and 2 PBR's on one run. When you're Standing up you can see every loose beer. Plus hundreds of college girls in bikini's partying like it's Spring Break is not too bad as long as you can tune out the sounds and focus on the sights.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #15
silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
A friend sent this quote to me the other day,
" I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.....I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."
miahski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #16
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Good link.

Missing boy's body found below South Canyon |

Missing boy's body found below South Canyon |

An Sup without a pfd on a ( I am assuming) semi-whitewater run???? WTF are these people thinking.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #17
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
last summer they were fining for open container on the Provo and Weber.

So, they do get after it on some days.

And I don't say anything unless they have a small child.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #18
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
If your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #19
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I have never known what it means that, "our thoughts and prayers are with this family." If people say this statement and don't know the family whatsoever, I don't know what they mean by it. I am referring to the post earlier referencing a 12 year old boy that died yesterday on the Colorado River near Glenwood Springs, CO.

This was a tragic incident that was totally avoidable. It is hard for me to show or feel compassion towards the adults in that group. I don't blame the 12 year old boy but any adults that were with him, I do blame and I don't have "pleasant thoughts or prayers" for these adults. I think they should be held accountable and prosecuted for child abuse.

My 10 year old and I kayak that same river at about the same time and we say tons of "yahoos" tubing without wearing PFD's. Last year I rescued a father and son just after grizzly put-in. They were in their $99.00 Wally-World "duckie" without PFD's, with the river running about 7k. The father looked at though he saw Mr. Grim Reaper when I picked him up. He did thank me and I only wish I could speck Spanish to tell him what an idiot he was. So my thoughts and prayer are not with this family. Frankly, I am mad that people tube without wearing PFD's and dying causing many unintended consequences for the rafting community.
mustloverafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #20
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Must love rafting

Sadly, lots of uneducated people, who have never had the financial fortune to take a NOLS or Outward Bound course & who don't understand the danger involved in rivers or the wilderness. I know poor or working class families who think it's perfectly safe to tube the river. They are good people who love their children. They are not stupid...just undereducated. They just didn't understand how deadly it could be (I politely explained how dangerous it was). I truly believe if people understood the dangers, most would wear a PFD or not go. I certainly understand your's upsetting & not a good situation for you or your child. But it was great of you to rescue them. Hopefully despite the language barrier, they noticed you were wearing PFDs & perhaps that you were in a sturdy raft?

I don't think we should berate people who make foolish choices...I am certain the stepfather who took the boy rafting is beside himself with grief and doesn't need us to beat him up.
My heart breaks for the family members who were not there (like his mother), middle school friends, cousins, aunts, grandparents...they must be devastated beyond description. My heart also goes out to the family of the SUPer, who may have children, who never expected or wanted their father to die. From what I understand from witnesses (& I could be wrong), despite what the paper said, he WAS wearing a PFD. Accidents happen to the best prepared people with great skills & it's ok to pray for their families. No child deserves to lose a sibling (as the Glenwood girl did) or to lose a parent.
I'd like to do something positive, like ask the county to post signs warning people about the dangers of tubing or floating, with or without PFDs? They might also have an internet link to information about deaths due to river ignorance? Perhaps that would save a life. I for one will write agencies for improved signage. I am sure many will ignore the warnings but if their were internet links, everyone who has a smart phone could access them & perhaps a few less fools would take such dangerous risks.

ttr230 is offline   Reply With Quote