Old 11-19-2014   #51
cedar city, Utah
Thanks for the clarification and double checking. One question, are we legally required to stop at inspection stations when they are operable?

It seems like the agencies are currently focused on the spirit of the law which is great for all of us.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014   #52
Flagstaff, Arizona
Phillip, yes, we are "supposed to stop", but the agencies understand many folks do not. They said they most likely would be busy with a hard hull boat and would not even notice a truck with raft gear go by. They did say being caught with a mussel in a watercraft was a class A offense, but that self treatment is what they are hoping everyone does who blows by the inspection station. Otherwise, plan on the boats being near the tailgate so they can be unloaded and washed. We will need to be sure the person with the high pressure gun knows to tone the pressure and heat down. Yes, I was very happy they were keen on the spirit. We had great chats! Yours, tom

Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014   #53
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Is American Whitewater getting involved in any of this? It seems like an issue that is blowing up. Utah's rules in particular seem unfriendly to non-motorized boaters. There could be a lot of frustration at putins next year if some dialog doesn't get started soon.

Are there any low tech chemical methods of decontaminating boats? If so, could we push for that instead of the high tech power wash that isn't available at the takeout? The New Zealand document mentions washing with salt water as an option. Its makes sense that salt might kill them. Slugs don't do well in salt, and quaggas are evolved for freshwater. I could imagine rigging up a bucket of salt water and sponging down a boat at a takeout might be a lot easier than other decontamination methods being discussed here.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014   #54
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I was also hoping for some easy chemical wash, but sorry no magic bullet.

The scientific literature I found showed that three methods: hot water wash, drying for extended times, or freezing for extended times were significantly more effective than the chemical washes or any other treatment.

For the chemicals to be effective they need long contact times, like over 30 minutes. Easy to do in a closed container like a bilge, not so easy for the exterior of a 18' raft. With out the long contact time the chemical washes were statistically just a little better than doing nothing.

The other concern for the chemical wash is the disposal of the treated water. To prevent chemically treated water from getting into the river you need a catchment basin and drain system to collect and treat the run off water. Anything effective against invasive species would also kill the native ecosystem if allowed to run back into the water.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014   #55
C. Springs, Colorado
Thanks Tom for your input and help on these new rules. The question for me is what will the rangers require at the put in? Will each boat have to have a signed decon slip from the border in order to launch? I'm thinking Deso when I ask these questions.

My thoughts are it's too early in the season to know the answer to these questions, but it's never too early to ask. I'm going to keep my eye on and see what they put on their web site when the permit sign up starts.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014   #56
Flagstaff, Arizona
Hey Ben, the Utah folks were very responsive to my questions, and appreciated the outreach. One thing that will go far is knowing about the issue, and knowing about Clean/Drain/Dry.

Ken, That's right, the chemical isuues are far worse than the simple Clean/Drain/Dry. I asked one of the aquatics folks abuot a chlorine wash and they said just what you said.

Dan, Good question. The Lee's Ferry Ranger's won't care, but the Utah folks sure will. If you tell them your gear has been out of the water and dry for 6 months, that should go a long way to getting you on the water at the ramp.

Yours, tom
Old 11-20-2014   #57
Flagstaff, Arizona
Tips for boating Utah Rivers

The Utah Department of Natural Resources has a decontamination certification form that you would be wise to put on your dashboard at the put-in. The form requests information about your recent boating trips and decontamination efforts.

Utah also has an online Mussel-Aware Boater Program that will provide you with a Decontamination Certification Form valid through the end of the calendar year.

The Utah folks note "Your answers will help law enforcement personnel determine whether your boat needs to be professionally decontaminated. If you are asked to decontaminate your boat, please cooperate with onsite personnel and do your part to keep Utah's waters free of quagga and zebra mussels."

All the best, tom