How low can you go? - Woody Creek Canyon on the Roaring Fork - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 10-13-2016   #1

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: '06
How low can you go? - Woody Creek Canyon on the Roaring Fork

Curious as to whether anyone has experience with low water runs of Woody Creek Canyon on the Roaring Fork. I caught glimpses of it on my way back from Aspen last weekend and it looked viable to me. How low have you run it, and how was it?

Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #2

Edwards, Colorado
I would also appreciate info omn any other CO runs you like late season. I've run my fair share of the Colorado, the Arkansas, and the Blue and would like to hear if anyone has any other fall favorites.
Old 10-13-2016   #3
tytanr

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Woody Cr. ELFing

Don't have the answer to your question but if it's doable I would join in. What about the lower Frying Pan? Is it still runnable. Gunny Gorge is still good at 600.
Old 10-13-2016   #4

Edwards, Colorado
I scouted the lower Pan a few weeks ago. It was running a little over 300cfs. I would say it needs 400-450 to really be in. I plan on hitting the Gunny Gorge in the next week or so as a day run.
Old 10-14-2016   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I would take the lower Fryingpan at 300 over Woody Creek at 171. I remember that stretch as being pretty wide and shallow...

Waterton goes at extremely low flows, as does the Cache la Poudre Narrows. I've ran the Taylor sub 100 coming out of the dam and it was ok. A lot of years there is a fall release on the Big Thompson, although I haven't seen or heard anything about it this year...

The other options you already mentioned. Arkansas, Blue and Upper Colorado.
Old 10-14-2016   #6

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Ran Slaughterhouse (upper Fork) last week at 168cfs. Channelized bony fun through the first two rapids; Entrance Exam and Pinball. I walked the falls but the other three in my group ran it. It was a super tight far left run up onto the wall boof to clear the nasty shelf that forms the waterfall with normal water. We continued down through PIA rapid and took out at the bridge to walk back to the cars. Totally worth it, and it looks like today you'd get an extra 3cfs from when we ran!

Otherwise, I wouldn't mess with the RF until the Cemetery section, which more than goes at the current 670cfs. There are actually some fun deeper channels through the Cemetery rapids that allow for eddy/current/roll practice.

Keep in mind that if you put in higher near Basalt that the play park project is undergoing and the river is full of machinery.

Wouldn't mess with the Frying Pan with less than 300cfs, keep an eye out for fall releases there. Wood moves around in there a lot so a road-scout on the drive up is a good idea.

$$$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14524968_10101751696892394_2715028677541917921_o.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	12378  
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #7
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Really beautiful photo B&S!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #8

4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Rockwood Box on the Animas is still entertaining at 300 cfs.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016   #9

Edwards, Colorado
Thanks all. I ran Browns a few days ago, still plenty of water. Just got back from Moab, the daily stretch was semi-entertaining. I might just stay local for the next few days and surf in BV and Salida and try running some other sections on the Ark. How low have any of you done the Numbers?
Old 10-19-2016   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I've done PC and #'s at 80cfs. Pine Creek goes, triple drop gets funky, you get less and less water from triple drop til number 5, then it starts to channelize more. Sweet little slot move just below ended rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
AndyFarq is offline   Reply With Quote