Old 06-27-2013   #11
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by dernt View Post
Hey Chris,

She is looking for a much loved family member and she has been at it since the incident. Don't you think if it is walkable she would have? Thanks for marginalizing the effort put into finding this lost friend.
Easy, easy. It IS walkable. CGM is just stating a fact. I would advise river left (north side) and taking binoculars to scan things closely. There's one spot where searchers will have to walk up high away from water level, but they can get back down shortly afterwards and from up high they can still scan the part they're missing at river level. Keep in mind that anything lost in a river usually ends up pinned by the current on something stationary. Upstream sides of rocks and trees down in the water are the likely places to look.

Sorry about your friend's tragedy. I'm a total dog lover and yeah, I know they're family. I had a friend lose his golden retriever in Eldo during high water a few years back when he looked away for a second. It was swept down south boulder creek all the way to baseline. Didn't make it and he took it really, really hard. I hope your friend's outcome is different. Also very glad its not your friend people are looking for since her being swept away could have been the outcome quite easily, too.

People have been running the creek all season, even when it's been 50% higher yet than it is now. There will be people running the creek over the next few days. You did the right thing posting on this site. Lots of folks here would like to help.

Damn it feels good
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #12
Golden, Coal Creek Canyon
Paddling Since: 2013
My dog is still missing

Thanks Mitch. Thats my dog and I work at the Humane Society. We were just getting a drink of water at the calm part and one of my dogs got caught in a current and I jumped in after him and we both got swept under. I managed to grab him and plaster us to the rock right before the waterfall when my other dog jumped in to save me and he got swept into the rapids. The 3 of us nearly died but somehow I managed to lift my 70# dog out of water and get him to safety while I looked for the other one. I have been scouring the creek sides for 5 days now and I've climbed all the way down to the resorvoir. I have had help from rangers, animal control, BES, but I need eyes form the water. I need to know what happened or if he's dead or alive or hurt and needs me. He is a 50 pound springer mix and he's a great swimmer so I'm hoping there's still a chance. If anyone wants to paddle down there this weekend I would be greatly appreciative.

Mundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #13
I meant Rich, not Mitch. I've tried every possible option I can think of to find him
Old 06-29-2013   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This is heartbreaking, Mundy. I'll be continuing to send postitive thoughts your way.

Hey Rich, as a matter of fact, NO, nobody needs to be a jerk here. How about finding an ounce of compassion?

Sorry to hear about the dog, hope it is found safe.

Somebody needs to be a jerk here, so I will volunteer.

Per Boulder County Open Space rules: all dogs at Walker Ranch need to be on a leash!
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #15
I've been down there every day for 5 days with rangers and other hikers and it is not easily walkable.
Old 06-29-2013   #16
I actually did hike all the way down to the res and dam from the bridge and it was sketchy! I scanned all I could, had binocculars, but there's some areas of creekside I could not see
Old 06-29-2013   #17
golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by Schizzle View Post
Easy, easy. It IS walkable. CGM is just stating a fact.
No, not walkable. See Jacob's post. Might be hikable for an experienced person with climbing ability. And CGM was being a troll. Look at the douchebag Adam Sandler link he include.
dernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #18
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I feel absolutely terrible for you. I can only imagine how you must be feeling. I am praying that your doggy swam to shore and has been rescued by some kind people that will return him/her to you.

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote