Hell's Canyon Proposed Fees - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-23-2016   #21

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbomb View Post
Even in legal states you have to keep your paranoia up if you're on federal land.
True, not supposed to be in public spaces if I understand it correctly.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016   #22

Twin Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Started a new thread on the subject so people could be adequately warned before leaving on a Middle Fork Trip.
yakenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016   #23

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tteton View Post
WHAT!

Were they in uniform or plain clothes?

IDAHO is a ssssstrange place. Keep IDAHO weird!
They were in plain clothes. I didn't really have much interaction with them since I was still sleeping. It was an illegal search though... the guy simple said "what do you have in there?" and pick up his kit and opened it... If it had been me I would have said none of your damn business and told then they have no right to go thru my belongings. There was no probable cause unless he had witnessed something prior to the interaction. But I do understand the intimidation factor... he was armed.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016   #24

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcamp View Post
Undercover federal agent came into our camp on the middle fork this year. They parked upstream to not be scene, they checked fishing permits and issued a marijuana ticket to one of the guys in our group.
In the state of Idaho that would have been two different code enforcement agencies working together. That is almost unfreaking heard of. Law enforcement has no right to ask for fish and game license. And Fish and Game can't write a pot violation. USFS can enforce either. What County issued the Ticket. Where did said "friend" have to appear in court. What beach did said event occur. Just way too many variable and endorsement agencies to hold that story together. Just smells fishy to me.
Old 08-23-2016   #25
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
When you come sneaking into my camp with a weapon, I'm going to consider you some sort of whack job that I should view as a threat, as opposed to a public servant that I should respect, even if you are being payed good tax payer dollars, therefore" Just doing your job". There are lots of quality river rangers out there, we don't need to pay for a bunch of clowns sneaking around in the bushes.
Old 08-23-2016   #26

Post Falls, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
In the state of Idaho that would have been two different code enforcement agencies working together. That is almost unfreaking heard of. Law enforcement has no right to ask for fish and game license. And Fish and Game can't write a pot violation. USFS can enforce either. What County issued the Ticket. Where did said "friend" have to appear in court. What beach did said event occur. Just way too many variable and endorsement agencies to hold that story together. Just smells fishy to me.
In Idaho conservation officers with the fish and game are law enforcement officers who can enforce any law.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016   #27

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
In Idaho conservation officers with the fish and game are law enforcement officers who can enforce any law.
Same in Oregon. Game cops are Oregon State Police and can write citations for game violations, drugs or traffic infractions.
Old 08-24-2016   #28

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I had a buddy in Colorado get a ticket for marijuana on federal land, it was just a $50 ticket, no court or anything else.
case_seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #29

Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
When you come sneaking into my camp with a weapon, I'm going to consider you some sort of whack job that I should view as a threat, as opposed to a public servant that I should respect, even if you are being payed good tax payer dollars, therefore" Just doing your job". There are lots of quality river rangers out there, we don't need to pay for a bunch of clowns sneaking around in the bushes.
I was going to also mention that fact. I carry a gun and keep it handy on the river. If some plain clothed, armed, D-bag walked out of the bushes like that at me I would also consider it a threat. No self respecting LEO should be acting like this.
If the put in search stories are true that's just plain ole violation of our Bill of Rights. I'll never consent to a cop to snoop around my things to satisfy his ego. Doesn't matter if there's nothing in my bags.
I am all for game rangers checking fish licenses and river patrol keeping us educated and appreciate their efforts handling the camps for fire and trash violations. The Middle Fork is a beautiful place because of hard working rangers who have done an excellent job thus far. I pay my permit fees, invasive sticker fees without reservation because it helps keep the place awesome. This shit that were discussing now is just stupid.

+1 on some DBag cop who couldn't get a permit.
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #30

C. Springs, Colorado
They should be hiding at the put in's and take out's........ to catch the thieves breaking into cars.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote