Old 04-05-2012   #31
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by The_Jackal_Of_Gnar View Post
Just do it like they do in India. The left hand for wiping and the right hand for cooking! That way you don't have to carry a pump, soap, or toilet paper! After all, you're in the wilderness.
...and skip the groover and sh!t right in the river.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #32
Atlantis, .

The_Jackal_Of_Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #33
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Meself? I don't like it!

Pardon me if this has already been covered, but I didn't want to read thru 4 pages to find out.

It kills the microbes, maybe, but the shit is still there!

Go to the back yard and pick up a steamin' Dog Turd. Take it inside. You could treat it with:

A) UV Light (like much of the bottled water you buy), or
B) Heat (bake it in the oven) or
C) Alcohol (hand sanitizer)

After proper treatment, you could, theoretically, have it for dinner. I wouldn't.

When I have had hand sanitizer on river trips, many of the otherwise fine River Ratz use the sanitizer instead of proper handwashing. All those many dog turds, some big and some small, are still there on the hands, only "cleaner". Just wash 'em! These days I take two home made wishy-washies on multi-day trips. One fits in a 50 cal ammo can and resides by the groover, the other lives in a 5 gal bucket and sits by the kitchen. The spout goes up to waist height, making it easier to use.

FWIW, I think using untreated river water is just fine, as long as you allow your hands to air dry completely before eating and handling food. For the last several years, my trips have grown in size, lots of boats, lots of peeps, affording the luxuries of too much cooler space, too much ice, and too much fresh water, enough that we can use tap water for handwashing. It's Niiiiiiice!
Don't Wanna Die Askin' for Another Chance
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #34
norcal, California
I think river water is fine and you don't have to let your hands dry before peeling the carrots either.

The river might contain Giardia, coliform bacteria, or other nasties but the chance of getting sick from a few drops is minuscule. The question is not 'what's in the water?', the question is 'how much?'. Every time you whoop through a rapid you swallow a mouthful, I hope.

It's not about killing bacteria - that dog turd example missed the point because if you bleach a dog turd only the outer layer is sterile, the inside is still turderrific. You can wipe your hands with santizer or bleach, but the actual layer of dirt that remains on 'em or under your nails is just like that turd. So forget the chemical war on hand borne bacteria. A good scrubbing with river water and sand is all it takes. Soap is good because it cuts through oil and allows the dirt to rinse off. Bleaching dishes makes sense, since those might sit damp in your warm drybox until the next meal.

You can take it from me, I have a degree in computer science.

barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote