Old 06-16-2014   #1
Cedaredge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Gunnison River near Delta dam

Anyone been down on the Heartland Dam boat channel at these high flows? The Partners Youth Mentoring Program had originally planned a float to take out above there. These high releases (6500) would cut the river time short so they are now considering continuing on through to Delta. I believe all the volunteer guides are skilled enough to figure it out but the Program Director would love to get some information before hand.

cyclodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014   #2
Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992

The left side of the river is pretty much wide open. There are a few waves in there but they are easy to see and avoid. The right side, where they back filled the roller dam, still has feature that could stop a boat and keep it from wanting to continue down stream. The bouys they placed in the river for the boater slot, just left of center, are just about submerged but you can still see them. There are some nice waves in the slot. The island directly down stream has quite abit of current pushing up against it, so you want to be left of that. The only real concern is that at this level the water is up into the bank that is choked with russian olive trees. If you had swimmers there are some spots that getting out of the river could be ugly. Other than that it is a nice easy float.

bmagtutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #3
Cedaredge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Thanks very much. And the good description. I will pass it along.
cyclodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off