Grand Canyon Tramway Bill Introduced - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-29-2016   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Grand Canyon Tramway Bill Introduced

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
A little after 5:00 PM this afternoon, Legislation was posted on the Navajo Nation website for the Grand Canyon tramway.

The website page is here:
Legislation

The PDF of the specific legislation is here:
http://www.navajonationcouncil.org/Legislatio…/…/0293-16.pdf

or

http://tinyurl.com/jufhqvy

This starts a comment period of five days. From the legislation:
Digital comments may be e-mailed to comments@navajo-nsn.gov
Written comments may be mailed to:

Executive Director
Office of Legislative Services
P.O. Box 3390
Window Rock, AZ 86515
928-871-7590

Comments may be made in the form of chapter resolutions, letters, position papers, etc. Please include your name, position title, address for written comments; a valid e-mail address is required. Anonymous comments will not be included in the Legislation packet.

Please send this to all your friends around the world. Now is your time to comment!

Tom Martin
Co-director
River Runners for Wilderness
Arizona Field Office
PO Box 30821
Flagstaff, AZ 86003-0821
928-556-0742 hm
928-856-9065 cell
tommartin@rrfw.org

Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for the heads up Tom!!!
Just emailed every boating friend I have an email for....
Old 08-29-2016   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
Thank you Matt!!!
Old 08-29-2016   #4

Cd'A, Idaho
Isn't someone going to tell me how I'm supposed to feel about this?
Elvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016   #5

Flagstaff, Arizona
Dancing in the street's with your arms upraised? Hey, you get to write a few letters! How COOL is that!!! Everyone likes mail!
Old 08-30-2016   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Crap. Thanks for alerting us to this shitty news. Considering that there may be thousands of tourists, with a significant number needing to poop down there, and the limitations on a sewage treatment system at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, this is indeed shitty news...

And that's just one of the issues.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Wow...I just read through that and I can't say I support where they are proposing to run the tram to. How I read it was that it was going to be built with the bottom end at the confluence of the Colorado and Little Colorado and would involve a riverwalk, food shops, and lots of touristy stuff.

I try not to be greedy and I realize that the Indian nations in that area are pretty hard up for jobs and income, but there is something special about the canyon as it stands. I floated down to Pearce Ferry on a trip last week and the difference between the section the Haulapai have turned into Tourist town is pretty stark compared to the rest of the canyon.

I guess all I'm saying is that I hope they keep the impact to river users to a minimum. I'll try and get that sentiment into an email/letter to send as input as well.

I would think that the impact to the LCR with that kind of usage would impact the endangered species that Ranger Peggy spent a lot of time talking about in her orientation talk too.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #8

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
I try not to be greedy and I realize that the Indian nations in that area are pretty hard up for jobs and income, but there is something special about the canyon as it stands. I floated down to Pearce Ferry on a trip last week and the difference between the section the Haulapai have turned into Tourist town is pretty stark compared to the rest of the canyon.
Maybe the Indians are getting screwed again??

http://www.grandcanyontrust.org/site...s_Escalade.pdf
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #9

Flagstaff, Arizona
RRFW Riverwire – Grand Canyon Tramway Legislation Introduced, Comments Needed
August 29, 2016

Late in the day on Monday, August 29, 2016, legislation was introduced in the Navajo Nation Tribal Council to build a tramway in the Grand Canyon. Under Navajo Nation Law, the public the world over now has just five days to comment on this legislation.

Sponsored by Fort Defiance Councilman Ben Bennett, the legislation gives the green light to a massive development on the rim of the Grand Canyon. The project would include a huge resort, airport, helicopter tours and tramway to the Canyon bottom at the confluence of the Little Colorado and main Colorado Rivers.

The project anticipates between 800,000 to over 2,000,000 annual visitors per year at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

A group of Phoenix developers, known as Confluence Partners LLC, would receive from 92% to 88% of revenues generated. The LLC has no prior company experience in any type of construction.

The Navajo Nation legislation spells out the duties of the partners, and requires the Navajo Nation to expend at a minimum of $65 million for a 20 mile all-weather road to the development location, as well as provide power, water, and telecommunications. A loan to the Navajo Nation to cover these costs would be repaid out of any royalties received.

Legislation passed in 1975 by Congress recognized that the entire Grand Canyon has many managers, including the National Park Service, the Navajo Nation and other tribes and agencies. The law requires the Secretary of Interior to work with all the Grand Canyon’s many managers in providing “protection and interpretation of the Grand Canyon in its entirety.” The legislation, known as the Grand Canyon Enlargement Act, required the Secretary of Interior to work with the Navajo Nation to protect the Grand Canyon, designated a World Heritage Site.

River Runners for Wilderness encourages its members to write to the Navajo Nation and Secretary of Interior Sally Jewell. Tell the Nation and Secretary Jewell:

- You support a tramway-free Grand Canyon.

- Ask that Navajo tribal funds be spent on vital needs such as housing, sanitation, telecommunication and water supply projects across the entire Western Navajo lands.

- Remind the Navajo Nation and Secretary Jewell of her duty to work with the Navajo to protect and preserve the Grand Canyon as the 1975 Grand Canyon Enlargement Act required.

You can contact the Navajo Nation here:

comments@navajo-nsn.gov

Or in writing, mailed to:

Executive Director, Office of Legislative Services
P.O. Box 3390
Window Rock, AZ 86515
928 871-7590

Navajo Nation law requires that all comments, either in the form of letters and or e-mails must include your name, position title, address for written comments and a valid e-mail address. Anonymous comments will not be included in the Legislation packet.

Please cc Secretary Jewell here:

Secretary of the Interior
The Honorable Sally Jewell
Department of the Interior
1849 C Street, N.W.
Washington DC 20240

The nine page short version of the over 200 page bill is available for review here:

http://www.navajonationcouncil.org/Legislatio…/…/0293-16.pdf

For further information, please contact Tom Martin at River Runners For Wilderness, tommartin@rrfw.org

Additional information is also available here:
http://savetheconfluence.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
RIVERWIRE is a free service to the community of river lovers from River Runners for Wilderness. To sign-up for future Riverwires, send an e-mail address to riverwire@rrfw.org and we'll add it to the RRFW Riverwire e-mail alerts list.
Join RRFW's Facebook discussion group to stay abreast of and participate in the latest river issues. It's as easy as visiting https://www.facebook.com/groups/raftgc/
Join RRFW's Yahoogroup discussion group to stay abreast of and participate in the latest river issues. It's as easy as sending a blank e-mail to Rafting_Grand_Canyon-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Check out RRFW's Rafting Grand Canyon Wiki for free information on Do-It-Yourself Grand Canyon rafting info http://www.rrfw.org/RaftingGrandCanyon/Main_Page
Check out new items and donate at the RRFW Store! RRFW is a non-profit project of Living Rivers. https://www.rrfw.org/store
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
Old 08-30-2016   #10

SW, Colorado
Thanks for posting this, Tom.

Just for clarity, where in the legislation or development agreement is the Navajo Nation obligated to fund $65million? I didn't find it specifically (or overlooked it) in the links provided. Thanks.

Also, does anyone think this angle might constitute "leverage" or "extortion" to gain money or concessions from the Federal Government, or other interests?
fella is offline   Reply With Quote