Grand Canyon Tramway Bill Introduced - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-30-2016   #11

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by fella View Post
Thanks for posting this, Tom.
Also, does anyone think this angle might constitute "leverage" or "extortion" to gain money or concessions from the Federal Government, or other interests?
Bargaining occurs all the time.

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2016   #12

cedar city, Utah
Reading that Grand Canyon Trust link is disheartening in regards to special interest and this proposed development.

Does anyone have a reference to the operations of the Navajo tribal government that is not tied to special interest? I lean strongly towards environmentalism but this issue sits at the intersection of so many other historical variables (tribal sovereignty, commercial exploitation inside and outside the tribe, interagency relationships, etc).

As a boatman I recognize how rare and precious the confluence remains to most of us. As an environmentalist I don't see how the project is sustainable or doesn't have a negative impact on the native species we have spent decades recuperating. But I'm not a single issue voter/citizen and I am concerned about yet another outside influence interfering with tribal legislation and programs. I value sovereignty of the regional tribes and I am not sure my selfish preferences trump their agency in this case. The non-tribal commercial interest allegations are key components of that equation.

Anybody have a link to how legislation and policies are developed within the Navajo Nation, specifically how various chapters are organized and interact? I want to read something that isn't lobbying for a particular outcome.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #13
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
I have submitted my letter.

There has been a lot written about this project for those who are looking for more.

My opinion is that this project would be tragic, so my reading list would reflect this point of view. However, I recently read this about development around Grand Canyon National Park:
Are We Losing the Grand Canyon?

S
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #14

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I spent many years in NM around different tribes, I even worked for one for a year and I dont have much faith that tribal decisions are made in the best interest of their people or land. I guess Im just jaded, but it seems that Tribes (like corporations) have little motive for anything besides greed, only with tribes there are not federal laws and regulation to keep tabs on things. I know that isn't always the case and maybe its even a small portion of Tribes and Reservations, but I just have seen too many instances where the Native Americans get screwed by outsiders or their own leaders. I think its pretty obvious that the current and historical system that manages Native American tribes and reservations is horribly flawed. The poverty, lack of education and job opportunity, crime and addiction have been a problem for decades. So we end up with desperate indian reservations striking deals with outside interest that end up profiting off of alcohol, gambling, cigarettes, fireworks, over fishing, over use of water, or damaging the environment. Like I said, I may be wrong, but I have very little faith that land cared for by sovereign tribes is nearly as protected as land cared for by the federal government.
This Tramway idea is a disgrace, might as well build a rollercoaster up the face of Half Dome and a waterslide through Old Faithful.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #15

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Grand canyon Tramway Legislation Form letter

I always find it easier to craft a letter if I have a form letter to start with. I hope this is helpful to people:

Grand Canyon Tramway Legislation Objection Form Letter.doc

To: Executive Director, Office of Legislative Services
P.O. Box 3390
Window Rock, AZ 86515
928 871-7590

Secretary of the Interior
The Honorable Sally Jewell
Department of the Interior
1849 C Street, N.W.
Washington DC 20240

Subject: Navajo Nation Proposed Grand Canyon Tramway Legislation

Cc: The Honorable Michael Bennet, United States Senator Colorado
The Honorable Cory Gardner, United States Senator, Colorado

I am writing to express my strong objections to the Navajo Nations proposed Grand Canyon Tramway Legislation. This legislation would have a devastating impact on one of the true gems of our country and the world. By providing a shortcut and allowing between 800,000 to over 2,000,000 annual visitors per year to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, this legislation will destroy everything that makes the Grand Canyon a special place and a special wilderness. The project is economically, environmentally and ethically unsound and I urge you to do all you can reject the passage of this legislation by the Navajo Nation.

Specifically, I would ask that you support a tramway-free Grand Canyon. Furthermore, I would ask that Navajo tribal funds be spent on vital needs such as housing, sanitation, telecommunication and water supply projects across the entire Western Navajo lands rather than a project that would benefit outside development interests.

To the leaders of the Navajo Nation and you Secretary Jewell, I remind you of your duty to work with the Navajo to protect and preserve the Grand Canyon as the 1975 Grand Canyon Enlargement Act required.

With respect,

John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #16

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
Sheesh.

I just signed the online petition, and emailed in a letter, and will be dropping hard copies in the mail in the morning. looking at the legislation is scary, but the thing that rams home what is going on is the diagram on savetheconfluence

http://savetheconfluence.com/

showing the proposed area to be impacted. The canyon (down to whitemore) is one of the few places left that you can spend some time without being jarred by the rest of humanity. I remember distinctly at the end of my second trip down running into a jeep tour at diamond creek, and it was hard to deal with and talk to folks thinking that they in the 30 minutes that they had been at the river, had similar experiences and understandings. That is the selfish me part that is upset, then in the greater good, the amount of damage that many people going into and out of the canyon will do is unimaginable. When I worked in outdoor retail (eons ago) we ran trips into the woods, but capped them hard at 15 to prevent damage just from footsteps, and here they are thinking thousands a day.

Yikes.
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #17
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Reading that Grand Canyon Trust link is disheartening in regards to special interest and this proposed development.

Does anyone have a reference to the operations of the Navajo tribal government that is not tied to special interest? I lean strongly towards environmentalism but this issue sits at the intersection of so many other historical variables (tribal sovereignty, commercial exploitation inside and outside the tribe, interagency relationships, etc).

As a boatman I recognize how rare and precious the confluence remains to most of us. As an environmentalist I don't see how the project is sustainable or doesn't have a negative impact on the native species we have spent decades recuperating. But I'm not a single issue voter/citizen and I am concerned about yet another outside influence interfering with tribal legislation and programs. I value sovereignty of the regional tribes and I am not sure my selfish preferences trump their agency in this case. The non-tribal commercial interest allegations are key components of that equation.

Anybody have a link to how legislation and policies are developed within the Navajo Nation, specifically how various chapters are organized and interact? I want to read something that isn't lobbying for a particular outcome.
So with the thoughts you mentioned, I'll ad these for consideration.
The Navajo are not the only tribe that makes a claim to that area, other tribes do as well, the decendents of the people commonly referred to as the Anasazi, consider the Little Colorado sacred to there people, for instance.

Also, to offer a different point of view, building a tram way will alter the Grand canyon significantly, for many generations, for a lot of different people, in a negative way. I suggest that it is not boaters or enviromentaly minded people that are being selfish by trying to stop the project, but Confluence partners Llc that is selfish, in exploiting the Grand Canyon in a damaging way, and most likely the Navajo Nation as well ( $60 million dollars which the N.N. would be required to front, that's there business, but it sure appears they are getting screwed over by confluence partners).
Old 08-30-2016   #18

cedar city, Utah
The non-tribal partners and requirements are very concerning to me and I thought the Trust did a good job outlining that element.

I am sincerely conflicted on this issue. To clarify, it is solely my interest I labeled selfish, not others. People have complex experiences and relationships with the canyon that I respect.

I recognize other puebloan tribes have staked claim to regions of the canyon over the years. If I remember correctly William Least Heatmoon discussed, in Blue Highways ,the absurdity of tribes suing each other in US courts over such land rights in a section based in my current town, Cedar City. It's a complex legal and cultural issue.

But that is a hard argument for me to make as someone outside any tribe. I can't use that as a variable as it would seem opportunistic. For now I have to value the Navajo's legally recognized right to make its own decisions. We have stepped on and historically ignored native sovereignty too much in the past for that to be a valid avenue for me. I am further uncomfortable with the cultural protection argument given the rafting and canyoneering communities response to the closure of Deer Creek as a "traditional cultural property".

I have no problem labeling the project ecologically unsustainable. It will forever alter the experience for me and others.

Currently at an impasse myself. Hence my query for information regarding tribal governance. It's a subject I am less familiar with and their are explicit accusation s of impropriety, etc.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #19

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Looks Like the Only Risk is to the Navajo People

It's a perfect scheme for the Phoenix company - the Navajo Nation pays $65 million up front to build a road that will not benefit them unless the project proceeds (highly risky proposition), the company which intends to eventually reap 88-92% of the profit puts up zero.

So then we get to the next phase when they want to bring the bulldozers into the canyon itself - there's a good chance the controversy will spiral out of control and the project dies. So sorry Navajo Nation, you just got *****.

It's a losing proposition for everyone except the company and the lawmakers looking for kickbacks (kickback being American slang for campaign contribution).

Disgusting to the core - best option is to stop it before fleecing the Navajo Nation out of $65 million it can't afford.
Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #20

Grand Junction, Colorado
Email sent, this is a fucking disgrace!!!!!