Mountain Buzz banner

Grand Canyon Speed Record Attempt Unsuccessful

8K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  David L 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Perhaps a titanium frame would be more appropriate as it is both light-weigh and strong additionally does not splinter when cracked. However, enough for a frame on a boat this size would not be cheap.

It also goes to show just how effective the light weight carbon kayak is for speed. A 42lbs 18ft by 24in carbon fiber sea kayak takes much less energy to paddle than the boat used in this race.

Rock on for this crew for building, training and attempting such a feat. To each their own. On that topic, I think it is so easy to judge a person or group because of how they do a grand canyon trip.

Perhaps the ideal is 21 days in October. Over the course of my own grand canyon trips which I admit I have been fortunate to go on. I have had folks tell me I am crazy for going in the winter. Crazy for going in July. Crazy for doing a one-week kayak self-support. The list goes on.

Anyway, cheers to new grand canyon trips!

#6 ·
Nice story. Shame about the tube but now another chance which is what it's really about.

Sounds like they rowed backward as a team for most of the river. I'm wondering if they turned around and faced downstream w forward or back ferrries for some of the bigger moves such as the left at Hance, right at Bedrock and either the left or right run at Crystal? Moving those 48' tubes around much would be a chore!

#7 ·
The Denver Post article about it here... U.S. Whitewater Rafting Team just misses speed record down Grand Canyon in custom-built cataraft ... said that after a close call in House Rock, they switched the rear most seats around and had those guys facing down stream presumably so they could see and react to things better. They also had a guy on a "tiller" to steer it. I'm sure it was still a beast to maneuver though.

My high school had a crew team and I was on it for a few years and I know the oars that they were using are designed to row one direction. I'm sure they could get some power the other direction, but not nearly as much as the correct direction.

They may not be as big and burly as Hance and Crystal, but I think the two rapids I'd be most nervous in with a boat that size is House Rock and Bedrock. Tight squeezes and a 50 foot long boat sounds hard to me. Watched a couple of J-rigs do Bedrock on my last trip and it took some deft maneuvering at the wheel.

#8 ·
Speed attempts should be banned. They are inherently unsafe and cause people to make poor decisions while attempting. Swimming lava after 20 hours of rowing not fun. Limping out of the canyon after not being able to repair your rig and with little food and water also not fun.

#10 ·
Yeah... I'm not into the "nanny state" bullshit and the whole "saving people from themselves". I as long as their behavior doesn't have a large negative impact on others, they should be free to push their own boundaries and risk their own lives.

I haven't tried to plan one of these trips, but it seems the timing is a challenge. I still need to read the Emerald Mile and a better account of the 4 guy who did it wildwater boats last year, but both the Sea Kayak guy and this latest attempt did Lava in the dark. I'm not sure what you trade off running in the dark instead, but maybe running Lava with some day light would be a good thing.

#14 ·
"Speed attempts should be banned. They are inherently unsafe and cause people to make poor decisions while attempting. Swimming lava after 20 hours of rowing not fun. Limping out of the canyon after not being able to repair your rig and with little food and water also not fun."

If you can't have some adventure and risk taking in the Canyon, what's left? These guys were probably safer than most paddle boarders and the folks running rapids on trains of Paco pads as I recently saw on Youtube.
If you want to keep people safe in the GC, prohibit hiking.

#16 ·
next speed attempt

People die everyday it's as natural as rain on a God Damn Sunday morning! but let me tell you one thing, I'm going to attempt to speed read the Emerald Mile! Yes I've been preparing for some time now, I'm having titanium frames made for my reading glasses. Wish me luck.

#18 ·
People die everyday it's as natural as rain on a God Damn Sunday morning! but let me tell you one thing, I'm going to attempt to speed read the Emerald Mile! Yes I've been preparing for some time now, I'm having titanium frames made for my reading glasses. Wish me luck.
Now there's the spirit! Pushing the boundaries of what can be done in one's own recliner!

You better get busy training for this attempt:

Evelyn Woodhead Speed Reading

#20 ·
Just looked at the Feb 2017 Launch Calendar for Lee's Ferry and there are three trips coming up that would appear to be speed record attempts: on 2/1, 2/12, and 2/13. (Each trip is listed "PRIV 1- 2P 2D" which I gotta think is how a speed record attempt would show up in the record.)

There are also full-size trips launching on Feb. 1 and Feb. 13, for those who were wondering.

#27 ·
Man I feel bad for Ben Orkin, guy only set the record last year and people are already trying to beat it. I mean c'mon, ya gotta give the guy at least a few years to brag to his friends about it.

Also forgive me but I'm gonna get on my "Ed Abbey high horse" here and say I personally think this whole speed record thing is pretty ridiculous.

I mean isn't bragging about being "THE fastest to ever do a Grand trip" kind of like bragging about being "THE fastest to climax during intercourse"...?
In my mind there's also a big difference between the guys in Emerald Mile doing it and these rich turkeys doing it in their matching green dry-suits, looking like they're a gd 1980's ski racing team.

Take it easy, slow it down and let the river carry you through the cathedral it's carved I say. Life's too short to worry about holding records, especially when someone with an even bigger ego comes along and beats it the following year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.