Old 08-25-2014   #1
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Gore Race Post-Race Announcements

I want to thank everyone for coming out. We have decided to give all the race prize money to American Whitewater in honor of Beth. Since we obviously had some race finish and timing issues this is what we decided to do instead. looks like we will be able to come up with some race times to at least see how you stacked up. One of the photographers was at Kirshbaum and each photo was time stamped. It will be accurate but will be slightly above the normal finish. We will at least know that the participants were still paddling at this point. This is all I can offer and next year we will make sure the finish is defined for racers and our timer. Sorry for any confusion or frustration, but like I said in the pre-race meeting, it's not all about the race but the experience of the weekend and paddling hard together.

Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #2
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Thanks for stepping up and putting on the race this year Lakota! Glad to hear you got some times to post. I was not looking forward to buying T-Miley a plane ticket to Mexico! Where will the photos be posted?

westernslopeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #3
4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Thanks Lakota for stepping up and taking on the race, events are not easy to organize and run. As you discovered this weekend. It was a great weekend of paddling regardless of peoples times. My only suggestion, other than getting the timers in the right spot, would be to allow people to paddle in to watch the event. I understand that you do not want to burden the safety crew with rescuing non-racers, but its always fun having folks in there cheering you on. I have also found that often times the spectators provide as much safety as the designated safety crew.

Cody Beach, i crushed you and you know it.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #4
Vail, Colorado

Tony, we will be discussing some other options with BLM for next year concerning spectators. We were just trying to deter non-qualified boaters from using our safety. We tried this and it was probably not the best option, but will need to do something, just not sure what yet?

I appreciate the encouragement on running the race! It was really smooth except for the timing which is obviously a big deal. Tony, no matter how the times come out you crushed Cody.
Old 08-25-2014   #5
I have good video of some spectator boaters making the rescue after the safety crew missed 4 attempts to get a racer swimming Gore. I don't know who the safety crew was but they were not qualified in my opinion.

It's a very nice gesture donating in Beth's name and I applaud you.

I watched Tony come through and there was no way he didn't crush Cody.

I have no doubt many lessons were learned running the event this year and it will be better next year.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #6
Vail, Colorado
Spectators Again

Nathan, thanks for the note. I heard about this from the safety crew at Gore and from my understanding the ones throwing were not our crew.

Many lessons and feedback is welcomed...we learned and definitely looking forward to next year.

Old 08-25-2014   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Yeah, I can't speak to this year's race, but in the past I've seen a number of important rescues made by spectator boaters. Keeping them out of the canyon doesn't make much sense tome.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
My 2 cents:
- Obviously the race was a total bust this year. I think the fix is fairly self-evident there.

- I think the spectating is a big part of the race. I didn't even realize that people weren't being allowed in the canyon to spectate. It's going to be impossible to prevent non-racers from having trouble in the canyon, but boaters tend to be self policing and I think that putting a strong message out it is not a good day for first time Gore boaters to be in the canyon and that the race safety is only designed for racers and not for spectators is sufficient to provide a safe day. I also agree that in my experience, spectators are often more likely to provide an effective rescue than the designated safety crew.

- Tony wasn't even in sight for a good Tunnel freestyle session when I came through, so he must have been fast this year. I was pretty sure with Tim's Remix in hand this was my year to crush jmack but now I'll never know. I figured myself and Brian were first and second respectively since we were the only ones who kept paddling to the new finish line.

- I know that sponsoring the Gore race is a somewhat thankless job, so I do appreciate Lakota keeping it going, and while I'm bummed that it was a bust this year, I understand that everybody makes mistakes.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #9
steamboat, Colorado
Please, in the future do not get BLM to close the put in road from 9-1. Very lame. Might as well be all day. We saw maybe 3 vans unloading around 11. Plenty of room for us at the same time. Also, safety was a joke. Nobody needs a bag at the top of gore. Maybe have some bags right above and below scissors. Maybe have someone signal upstream paddlers when there are 3 or 4 ropes across toilet bowl.
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #10
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
Spectators save lives. Gore Race Accident Report. And make the race way more fun.

Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote