Old 08-26-2014   #21
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
As I was chastising that idiotic woman timer for being in the wrong spot she told me that the BLM ranger told her that the rapid that she was at was kirshbaum. So maybe BLM should get there damn beta right too. I almost found a little sympathy for her. Then I thought why the fuck are you 100yds above river level with no finish sign. WTF. To organize a race with that many competitors and that much hype you would think the timing is one of the most important aspects of the event. Not to mention the $35 entry fee. Not to mention the 3 tanks of gas and 6.5 hour drive either way from Durango to get there. and bragging right. Its a little hard not to be pissed about the timing. And yeah as far as safety goes in my experience. Rafters suck especially commercial rafters. class 3 guides thinking there fuckin cool cause they are a raft guide, doesn't mean they have shit for actual river experience. I would way rather have private rafters, kayakers, and spectators to be in there for assistance. Also surprised we didn't lose the boats off the trailers during shuttle. Sorry for the shit ramble. The party on Saturday night was well worth the weekend. And it was great to all you beaters out there!

westernslopeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #22
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Hey Slayer, beaters are people too you know.

It was pretty disappointing to get to the finish line and have no timer and no idea what was going on. Not really sure how you send a finish timer out there who does not know where K-bomb is. Hopefully the delay in "photo times" means they are carefully reading jersey numbers off the pics.

As for safety, if you are counting on the safety crew to help you, you really shouldn't race. Racers should accept the fact that they are paddling Gore solo. Still, spectators add safety and fun to the race and should be allowed in so long as they don't get in my way.

As others said, it was a great event except for the lack of a finish line.

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #23
Hey Slayer, you should not be calling any volunteer idiotic. There was clearly some confusion and mistakes, but I'm sure she was doing what she thought she was supposed to, and not screwing up on purpose. If you are perfect, then I hope you volunteer for every position at the next race. Clone yourself. And hope you don't screw up and get called names...
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #24
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
I would like to offer my assistance for next years event organization and planning. If someone from Lakota wants to contact me we can discuss further.
Very generous of you all to put on the race.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #25
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Perhaps we need a solid Colorado event organizing crew. Veteren boaters that want to further the sport by taking point in recruiting intelligent, experienced whitewater individuals to run the logistics of the events. Seems like pretty much every river fest in the state has been experiencing issues with running whitewater events fluidly lately...and I think thats because tto much of it falls on volunteers, many of whom tend to be unprepared/unaccustomed to perform in these types of situations, or just plain don't care that much, cause they are there to party...
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #26
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Or maybe, just maybe, those volunteers also have very busy lives and have jobs, families and other obligations - including boating of their own to do. I'd say everyone that's bitching about it should volunteer to run one - and actually do it.

Had the volunteers not stepped up and given their time (and they didn't get any prize money either by the way), there wouldn't have been an event. Then all the butchers would be belly-aching over that too.

Next year, somebody please provide a Whambulance for all these whiners and complainers......
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #27
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Never heard about the poudre race having these issues.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #28
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I personally would love it if there was no Gore race, Boilermaker. Much rather be in there and enjoy the canyon quietly with a few friends.
I understand that not everybody feels this way.
So I say if people want to have an event, that's fine IF:
1. It does not deny access to non-participants
2. It does not negatively impact the environment
3. It is well-run and safe.

If it is going to be loosely organized and poorly run, then it does more harm than good.
That's not to blame volunteers individually; that's to blame the organizers.
It's not enough in this case to give it the ole' college try.
If you're not going to do it well, DON'T DO IT.
We don't need a damn carnival up there to enjoy that canyon.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #29
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
Never heard about the poudre race having these issues.
That's just because nobody times the race. There's a beauty in tossing a rock in the air, and saying go.

Timing at a race is a often thankless volunteer job that takes way more organization and patience than most kayakers exhibit.

The best race safety will always be a team race, as a boat in the water is usually more helpful than a throw rope. Agreed that racing Gore is kind of like running it solo.

Historically, I can recall a few Gore races where spectators weren't allowed into the canyon, and after each event it was concluded that it was a bad idea. Yet, the idea comes back every few years. Thus, seems like this is a BLM issue and not a race organizer issue.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #30
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Honestly everyone should just relax and stop pointing fingers. The Gore race needs volunteers with skills motivation and time. This event could be great everyone pitches in instead of feeling entitled for it all to be done without their participation

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote