Old 08-25-2014   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It was well announced that the put in road would be closed from 9-1. I understand that there would be parking problems if everyone drove a car to the put in. It hadn't even occurred to me that the goal was to close the river to the common man/spectator. I get that you don't want a bunch of first timers getting in the way of the racers, but you need to rethink this idea. I hadn't been in a few years, and remember there being boat trailer shuttles, even for non racers to avoid parking issues in years past. It seems that encouraging carpooling with bigger rigs and a couple rigs with trailers, would mitigate parking issues.

I apologize, for getting in whoever's face when they told me that they wanted to keep the public out of the canyon entirely, but I just found that concept to be way beyond acceptable. I do hope that everyone who wanted to paddle Gore that day actually did, but I'm sure that some were deterred by this.

As much as I like the idea of AW getting all the prize money, some of the Kayakers travel there on a shoe string with legitimate hopes of putting their winnings towards their expenses. Maybe it's premature to assume that viable race times don't exist. If a time can be established via the camera man that is just a little upstream than the appropriate finish, it is not likely to change any but the closest of race placings. I suspect the winners will be fairly obvious from these time stamps...

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #12
don't bogart that
Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I apologize, for getting in whoever's face when they told me that they wanted to keep the public out of the canyon entirely, but I just found that concept to be way beyond acceptable.

Actually care more about Tony vs Cody

rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #13
fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Just want to raise my hand as a vote to allow spectators/ everyone paddle in. There were 0 ropes at the bottom right side of gore when we came through, the best place to bag folks in my opinion, and then nothing until below pyrite. Isn't that one of the most continuous stretches in the canyon? For professionals who wanted to keep newbs from piggybacking safety, that's a pretty large and dangerous oversight. I am SUPER GRATEFUL for the efforts this year to put the race on, but "closing" the canyon? That's not a move that goes with the spirit of the weekend, especially this year. But hey- live, learn, run it again! That's what we do!
jortsKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #14
Donating money to AW which was generated by a race that denied access to boaters is rather ironic. Thanks for keeping the race going, but if spectators are going to be denied access, don't even bother.
Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #15
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Ya some mistakes were made, but it's their first attempt at organizing the race. Lakota is listening to the feedback and right now that's all we can expect. I had a lot of fun (also didn't race... phew), and hope this race continues in the future.

Trying to prevent boaters from getting on the river was ridiculous. That's like trying to separate a mama bear from it's cub, but instead of getting mauled to death the organizers just took some verbal abuse and everyone still ended up paddling anyways.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
First off, i think Lakota did a pretty decent job, with one glaring red hot exception. The finish line. The food, beer, registration, shuttle, and race start for competitors were all smooth and well organized.

Saying kayakers can't go into the canyon is futile. We're like cockroaches. We cannot be eliminated. I saw plenty of non racers at the canyon mouth.

So what's the word on the photo timestamps at Kirschbaum? I'm pretty sure I wasn't first, but Definitely beat Ross, Hobie, TK and any other vail pussies.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Trying to keep the boating public out one of the most popular public lands with running water is ridiculous. Either have the race with the logistics dialed or don't have a race. Shame on Lakota and the Blm for coming up with this plan. Hope it's better thought out next time.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #18
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Plus one.
It is absolute garbage to try to close that canyon to all but race participants for a day. That is a precious place, and especially so at this time of year, and NOBODY should be able to close it unless there is some very compelling reason.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #19
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Hah, race without finish!
So was there actually someone measuring times at the unnamed class III rapid few min below Kirschbum?
If so, the person on the cliff was supposed to have a whistle. And I'd like to know the difference between me and Connor since we were both dedicated to win and paddled all the way.
Perhaps next year we can vote where exactly we want the safety to be set.
kabzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014   #20
dork, confusion
Paddling Since: 2000
I would have been frustrated

Glad I didn't go. .. i've gathered gear in the eddy's spectating in the past. And thrown some good hole rides in ginger too. No rescue needed.

chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote